• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Vent or Fuel Gauge problem

BBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Looking for some ideas on how to diagnose my fueling issues. 2022 252XE.

I've always had issues with the fuel blowing back when the tank is full. However, this year out of storage my fuel gauge read 70% when I am pretty sure I topped it off. I thought maybe someone stole some since it was in storage or it evaporated. I did take it out once so far and everything ran fine. It just had the recall done.

Now it is reading 60% and I am unable to get it to take more fuel. Even at the slowest pump setting fuel comes back up the filler neck. Does anyone have any advise on figuring out whether this is a vent issue or a guage issue? Is there any easy way to tell if the tank is full without the gauge? I called the dealer and they were not very helpful, but it is under the warranty still. I've read the charcoal filter can get saturated and block the venting.

Thoughts?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is also a flapper valve in the fuel fill hose who’s main purpose is to force the vapors out the charcoal canister.

Pull the charcoal canister out and see if it’s full of water or gasoline and also verify you can blow through it from the tank side.

Let me see if I can find the thread about the flapper valve.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

BBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Update: I checked the charcoal canister and I was able to blow through it with no resistance at all so that is good. I was able to blow through the vent on the side of the boat with only slight resistance.

Thanks for the thread!

BBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
To get to the top of the tank do I need to take the floor up in the cabin area? I see some allen bolts.

BBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Just barely cracked the hose that appears to go to the vent and it has fuel in it. I think this tank is 101% full. I'm not going to pull the fill line until I burn off some fuel. It appears it was overtightened which could cause issues with that check valve.

Thinking my problem is the fuel sensor. Is there any reset or calibration on these new boats?

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
None that I know of…. Just go out and burn some fuel and it may correct itself.

On your connext screen there is a fuel used line, I have found that this is very accurate, to within 1/10th of a gallon of usage. Once you get this situation squared away, be sure and re set that each time you get fuel, it is more accurate than the percentage gauge. Then you will also know how much fuel you need to put in the tank if you check it right before you go to get fuel.

Good job on getting right on this!

BBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Solved the gas gauge issue. The ground wire was not connected to the batteries! Guess I missed it when putting the batteries back in. As soon as I connected the gas gauge went to 100%. Can't believe that was the only issue caused by it.

Still going to investigate the check valve after I burn some fuel. I wonder if I should cut off the end of that filler hose thats split.

Thanks for the help y'all.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Solved the gas gauge issue. The ground wire was not connected to the batteries! Guess I missed it when putting the batteries back in. As soon as I connected the gas gauge went to 100%. Can't believe that was the only issue caused by it.

Still going to investigate the check valve after I burn some fuel. I wonder if I should cut off the end of that filler hose thats split.

Thanks for the help y'all.
Hoooo Rayyyy! Good job! Way to keep after it and be thorough! There’s been quite a few electrical issues solved here by figuring out grounds were bad. Also thank you for closing the loop on your tank level issue ! This thread will probably be helpful to someone else in the future.

In your original post you stated “I've always had issues with the fuel blowing back when the tank is full”. I respectfully submit that your manual says to not top the the tank off, when the blow back happens, are you trying to top the tank off? Most folks who have the filling issues can’t get the gas to flow while filling their tank when the level in the tank is low. How is the flow of fuel while filling the tank? If it’s good / decent and the pump handle doesn’t keep clicking itself off I say leave everything alone and enjoy your boat since you discovered that ground wire was off making the tank gauge read incorrectly and that confirmed your observation of a high fuel level in the the tank and your tank was indeed full. I wouldn’t worry about that split in the fill line as it stops well before the clamp.

Reset your fuel page on your connext so that the fuel used line is zero and before you get fuel the next time check this line and then you will know how much fuel to expect to put in and don’t try to top it off if that is what you were doing before when you’d get some fuel back splash. I’ve found that fuel used line to be very accurate, I check mine before getting fuel, then I use an online calculator to determine how much non ethanol 85 and 91 to put in the tank to get the required 86 octane, and the fuel used usually agrees with the pump read out to within 1/10th of a gallon.

On my boat I can go full on the pump handle when the tank is low, but after about 2/3 full I have to slow down or the handle clicks off.

Go out and burn some fuel and have fun!