• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My buddy gives me shit all the time for topping off my tank every week as I'm not taking advantage of the larger tank. I drive roughly 70-120 miles a week and always fill it up. However, I drive a fuck ton throughout the year outside of normal around town. I put roughly 20k a year on my truck traveling and that's when the larger tank is really awesome. We drive to FL at least once a year, without the boat.
One road trip makes the large tank worth it, and it’s such a cheap option to add. I’m three years in only 20k on my truck but still wouldn’t do with out it. I fill up whenever I am at Sam’s club and the line is short. I might be 3/4 full or 1/8th full.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One road trip makes the large tank worth it, and it’s such a cheap option to add. I’m three years in only 20k on my truck but still wouldn’t do with out it. I fill up whenever I am at Sam’s club and the line is short. I might be 3/4 full or 1/8th full.
Two interesting points here.

I don't know what you road trip guys are doing different than me, but I can't go...MAYBE.....2.5-3hrs in the car before someone in the family needs to get out for something. Mom has to pee, kids need to pee, I need to pee, dog starts barking, kids start arguing. Never have I been able to get more than about 200-250miles between stops for some reason or another. I fought it for a few road trips, tied myself up in knots in anxiety and being pissed off we "weren't' making good time". These last couple times I've learned to just budget for it. Just expect we're going to get out and goof off for some reason or another a few more times than I would if I was travelling alone, or just with a buddy. My stress has dropped and my trips have been arguably more enjoyable. Just embrace the chaos and live through it......So, for me anyway, a large tank is mostly a waste of space/weight/etc. I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not gonna seek it out either.

I work right next door to a Sams club. Like, I could see the pumps from my office window the first few years I worked here. I've learned the best time to get fuel is before 8am on the way into work. You can zip right in, grab fuel, and be on your way without waiting in line. Any other time it's a case study in how to NOT do traffic control. People in/out all different directions, long waits, and generally more stress than the cost savings is worth (unless you have one of those absurdly large tanks sitting on E, then it might be worth it). I worked through the math awhile back, and I think I need to have lke 16 tanks of fuel before the membership price breaks even, and anything after that is a savings.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got my new Curt 45900 adjustable hitch setup last night. Hopefully it’s the last conventional hitch I’ll need to buy. It’s built like a tank and solid throughout. Ready to tow with the new rig now!

E14F0ADD-6545-4CA6-8034-467975572EFD.jpeg6D64E3F6-A68B-4747-B154-7AEB875431BC.jpeg6CB5CC41-1387-4FA7-AEF9-05C98064AB85.jpeg32FB747D-8863-49A5-9990-E0F47508160F.jpeg

Last edited:

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i don't commute for work. most of my driving is on trips, often towing something.
if you're just family hauling, then tank size is prob not too critical.
but if you're towing a boat or camper any distance, bigger tank makes life easier.
my truck only has 31 gal tank and i'm looking to swap to a larger, aftermarket 52 gal tank....but it's pricey.
old trucks with the dual tanks had it right

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I don't know what you road trip guys are doing different than me, but I can't go...MAYBE.....2.5-3hrs in the car before someone in the family needs to get out for something. Mom has to pee, kids need to pee, I need to pee, dog starts barking, kids start arguing. Never have I been able to get more than about 200-250miles between stops for some reason or another. I fought it for a few road trips, tied myself up in knots in anxiety and being pissed off we "weren't' making good time". These last couple times I've learned to just budget for it. Just expect we're going to get out and goof off for some reason or another a few more times than I would if I was travelling alone, or just with a buddy. My stress has dropped and my trips have been arguably more enjoyable. Just embrace the chaos and live through it......So, for me anyway, a large tank is mostly a waste of space/weight/etc. I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not gonna seek it out either.

Towing is pretty obvious use case for the larger tank too.

I work right next door to a Sams club. Like, I could see the pumps from my office window the first few years I worked here. I've learned the best time to get fuel is before 8am on the way into work. You can zip right in, grab fuel, and be on your way without waiting in line. Any other time it's a case study in how to NOT do traffic control. People in/out all different directions, long waits, and generally more stress than the cost savings is worth (unless you have one of those absurdly large tanks sitting on E, then it might be worth it). I worked through the math awhile back, and I think I need to have lke 16 tanks of fuel before the membership price breaks even, and anything after that is a savings.
Another consideration is emergencies. Thankfully we have never had to leave due to a hurricane, but that big tank could my ass in that instance. When storms come, the interstate is dead stopped and gas prices are hiked for the entire southeast, and finding boarding becomes difficult. That extra range helps me avoid some of that.

But I will go 600 miles non-stop if I can. The truck comfort makes that easy. Some cars not so much.

As for Sams, I agree if you only use for gas and don’t drive much. We do most our shopping at Sam’s since inflation got bad. Also with a 33 gallon tank, 75 gallon in the boat and doing charters, my time to break even is like a week lol.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I'm gonna "both sides" this discussion...I stop whenever anyone in the vehicle wants, and it seems like we all have small bladders. No big deal. BUT, I love the huge tank and the long range I get with my Silverado 2500HD, because it makes all of those bathroom stops quicker. Any rest area will do, whether it has fuel or not. Even better, when we're pulling the camper, we'll just use that for our pit stops. And if I can make it all the way to the campsite on that first tank, it's always easier to fuel up after the camper is unhooked and set up.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another consideration is emergencies. Thankfully we have never had to leave due to a hurricane, but that big tank could my ass in that instance. When storms come, the interstate is dead stopped and gas prices are hiked for the entire southeast, and finding boarding becomes difficult. That extra range helps me avoid some of that.

But I will go 600 miles non-stop if I can. The truck comfort makes that easy. Some cars not so much.

As for Sams, I agree if you only use for gas and don’t drive much. We do most our shopping at Sam’s since inflation got bad. Also with a 33 gallon tank, 75 gallon in the boat and doing charters, my time to break even is like a week lol.
That second consideration is a big one. If they offered the giant tank on a Powerboost driveline, imagine how long you can run the truck as a generator. I can totally see that.

Never had to run from a hurricane or other natural disaster, so I'm blind to that aspect of things, and honestly more naive than I care to admit.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Got my new hitch setup last night. Hopefully it’s the last conventional hitch I’ll need to buy. It’s built like a tank and solid throughout. Ready to tow with the new rig now!

View attachment 195481View attachment 195482View attachment 195483View attachment 195484
I just made a similar investment, buying a B&W Tow and Stow. And it should be the last one I ever buy, after building up an inventory of mediocre units at different drop sizes over the years that have low-end weight capacities. Some life lessons take longer than others.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm gonna "both sides" this discussion...I stop whenever anyone in the vehicle wants, and it seems like we all have small bladders. No big deal. BUT, I love the huge tank and the long range I get with my Silverado 2500HD, because it makes all of those bathroom stops quicker. Any rest area will do, whether it has fuel or not. Even better, when we're pulling the camper, we'll just use that for our pit stops. And if I can make it all the way to the campsite on that first tank, it's always easier to fuel up after the camper is unhooked and set up.
+1

Have a camper top on my Ram, can use this when we need to stop and no facilities around.

This is my first truck with the larger fuel tank, heated seats, and heated steering wheel. Didn’t intentionally get any of these features, but now I wouldn’t get a truck without them!

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

It depends. We road trip like crazy last year we made it 6 hours before stopping. Only reason we stopped was cause that was the half way point of the trip and we break it up generally for the kids and stay the night. I've conditioned my wife and kids that we only stop for food/gas. If we have snacks and don't need gas for 700 miles we keep driving. Sooooooo condition that bladder. LOL!

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It depends. We road trip like crazy last year we made it 6 hours before stopping. Only reason we stopped was cause that was the half way point of the trip and we break it up generally for the kids and stay the night. I've conditioned my wife and kids that we only stop for food/gas. If we have snacks and don't need gas for 700 miles we keep driving. Sooooooo condition that bladder. LOL!
Bingo, we did 19 hours on 3 stops last road trip. My rule is, if you can't hold it 5+hours, you're going to have to drive yourself! ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like a nice setup.

Hope you can give us a review after you have used it a few times!

Jim
If it sucks believe me I’ll let it be known lol. It has great reviews though and Curt designs their products to last. I used Curt hardware on the Class IV receiver conversion on my last truck and was impressed by their build quality so figured I’d give them another go with the new truck. There is a rubber bumper made onto the ball piece that is supposed to keep it a quieter hitch, so we will see how that fairs over time.

My pictures from last night light make it appear the hitch is close to the ground but it’s just the angle making it appear that way. It has just over 12 1/2” clearance from the bottom of the hitch to the ground for anyone curious on a newer F150.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm gonna "both sides" this discussion...I stop whenever anyone in the vehicle wants, and it seems like we all have small bladders.
Same here...while I can drive for hours without breaks, the rest of the family need pee and snack breaks, so we're stopping anyway.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used to be like a camel and hold it for as long as I could while driving 10% over the limit and always watching for the man. 17 years ago I had a bit of epiphany. I had driven out to one of my riding areas and upon arrival the backs of my legs and my butt felt tired, and I realized it was because I was trying to haul ass and avoid getting a ticket I was knotted up. After hauling ass on my bike all day in the dessert I decided to try an experiment, on the way home I opened the sun roof and all windows on the lower speed part of the journey, and I drove the speed limit for the rest of the trip home, it took me 15 mins longer over my 2.5 hour drive, and my mpg went from 17 to 20. After that I started driving the speed limit everywhere I went / go, in addition to having way less stress my fuel mileage in some instances went up 5 mpg, most of the time it went up 3 mpg, I just set the cruise control and drive. Now with 6 decades on my frame I can’t be like the camel I once was…The red light and klaxon come on sooner and more frequently, you young bucks will see what I’m talking about. As @2kwik4u has accepted the chaos, I’ve accepted the fact I can’t go as far without stopping, and now with those more frequent breaks and stretching my legs more often I arrive not as tired after a 700 mile day.

My new truck has a 36 gallon tank compared with my last trucks ridiculously small 26 gallon tank, but I still carry two VP cans of fuel in the back for an additional 11 gallons of fuel, that’s my reserve fuel and when towing my toy hauler will give me an additional 125 miles, empty another 250 miles. It would be great to have another 30 gallons of fuel in the bed mainly for the convenience factor of not having to stop just for fuel, and if I ever decide to do an Alaska road trip I’ll probably fit up a removable 30 gallon tank with some quick disconnects and a manually actuated transfer pump to fill the main tank while underway, something along the lines of the extra fuel tank I made up for my boat. Transfer flow probably makes the best system for an auto transfer set up, and they are proud of it. Adda Tank also makes some great options especially for diesel fueled trucks but I have an issue with how their system transfers fuel so I’d make up my own transfer system if I went with their tank. The great thing about Adda Tank is they will make whatever size tank you want.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @2kwik4u has accepted the chaos, I’ve accepted the fact I can’t go as far without stopping, and now with those more frequent breaks and stretching my legs more often I arrive not as tired after a 700 mile day.
Just accept the chaos and move on. Very few things are worth getting all knotted up over :D

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I tow the boat with a German Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 BiTurbo Diesel, I have a F150 but the F150 doesn't have a good MPG compared with the diesel, It doesn't have the size of the F150 but it's all wheel drive and tows like a maniac!

7157f488-2686-4b02-bbf4-abfba9ad3b6c.jpeg