• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 Ladder Problem

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2021 195S with ladder issues. When it was working correctly, the final couple inches of closing were smooth and could be done with one hand. The “spring” portion is now binding up and the ladder is extremely difficult to close when you get it nearly closed and are trying to latch it. You can hear the spring creaking and crunching. I’m sure it’s under warranty, but I don’t want to leave the boat at the dealer for weeks for something potentially minor. Has anyone taken apart one of these ladders? I’m not afraid to tear into it, but if it’s non-serviceable and I take it to the dealer in pieces I don’t see them fixing it under warranty.

Attached is a (bad) pic of the ladder. Boat is currently crammed in the garage.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not at all familiar with your specific boat and ladder. But it might be possible to warranty the ladder directly with the ladder manufacture. My prior boat had a windline ladder (which had a lifetime warranty) and I was able to replace the ladder at no charge directly from them. So that might be a possible solution for you too. Anyway, good luck.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Found the problem. Looks like someone pulled the ladder out 90% of the way and then used their body weight to try and force it down. Caused these dents which turn caused the springs to catch and bind. I removed the black caps, pulled out the springs, strapped the ladder down to the work bench, and used a breaker bar to massage the dents back out. Reassembled with some marine grease and she is as good as new. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Attachments

Cas1986

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had exactly the same problem today. Thanks to your post it was an easy fix. Thank You!

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey I found this thread after I just fixed mine that had the same thing happen. The wife had a friend get on board while we were at the ramp and they forgot to pull the ladder up. Unknowingly I backed the boat down the ramp and bent it a bit. To get the top section back to a semblance of round I found an 1-1/8” hitch pin at my local farm store and was able to grease it up and pound it down the top tube section. Supporting the nearest ladder leg from below so as not to have to deal with the spring in the process. The 1-1/8 pin is almost the perfect inside diameter of the top tube so it gets it back to round pretty well!

I had tried to massage it back to round with other toolage and found it more difficult than the cave man approach I ultimately used
The pin having the handle type thing allowed me to get a hood grip on it to remove it since it pinched in there pretty well.

Attachments

YatesAr195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for the posts. I love this site. We are out on the lake as I type this and have the same problem. The ladder still closes but it takes all my force. I will use these suggestions to get it fixed when we fet home.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well what a coincidence… I went to put my ladder back in this afternoon after taking the boat out and had this very same issue.. one of my guests must have inadvertently did the same to my ladder.. will have to pull it out on Sunday…

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Big shout out to @JASmith for the tip with the 1 &1/8” hitch pin… applied a little grease to the hitch pin, supported the ladder on my bike stand and hit the pin with a dead blow hammer until it pushed through easy.. had to hit the pin with the dead blow upwards to extract it.. now the ladder works like it did before, smooth as silk. Took me about 10 mins total to fix it.

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had same problem with my ladder at 35 hours. 1-1/8” tractor pin from Tractor Supply at $13.99 was well worth adding to the tool box. Thanks all!

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome. Glad to hear the info is helping people!