• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 AR 230 should we buy?

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is an amazing experience. So much so that this will be my family's fourth trip. But, it also is a real chance to lose your boat or even your life. So you have to make sure everyone and everything is prepared for the crossing.
Would love to make it, I'm going to try! When it's your time to go it's your time to go! I made peace with that a long time ago in the corps, and I can always buy a new boat! All jokes aside though it would be an amazing experience and the wife and I are always open to that! We love to travel and do off the wall stuff

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone ought to get a hold of the CDC. This Bimini virus is spreading very rapidly.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone ought to get a hold of the CDC. This Bimini virus is spreading very rapidly.
Be careful, Mrs. Swatski might shut us down!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You probably right. Never underestimate the power of a Mrs. I should not be pushing my luck I am walking a very thin line with my own Mrs. So far she has approved all boat related expenses. Something is not right :cool:

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have heard of the danger involved and like a dunce shared it with my co owner captain / wife. Lol
She aint going..so ....where's that video again.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok gentlemen, the wife and I are on the way to get the boat! Wish us luck, suddenly I realized I have no clue what I'm doing with a jet boat and I plan on being on the lake tomorrow on it. So does anyone have any advice or tips for anything that I may need to do when I get it out of the water and stuff? I know it has the two clean out valves and the bilge pump but I don't know if I'm suppose to do something with that every time or just every once in a while or what. So does anyone have a good process for me to check before/ after the water?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! That's all great stuff but I'm looking more for like putting it into the water and when I dock or take it out of there is anything that needs to be done.
@txav8r, where is your preflight check list?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is his checklist for a day of boating

Brain Fart leads to Mistake

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

BEFORE GARAGE REMOVAL

KEYS--------------------------------------------Verify all keys are available.

KILL SWITCH LANYARD-----------------Verify onboard and installed.

BATTERY CHARGE CABLE --------------Un-couple battery charge coupling.

EXTENDED EXCURSION ------------------Stow charger and extension cord in boat.

AREA AROUND BOAT ---------------------Remove boarding stool and assure area clear.

TRAILER HITCH LOCK --------------------Remove and place in truck.

SWING ARM ----------------------------------Position and install pin and key (assure cables are clear).

TRAILER BRAKES --------------------------Check fluid level and check lockout clip removed.

TRAILER HITCH -----------------------------Attach trailer to ball (2”).

HITCH LOCK LEVER ARM ----------------Lock lever arm and install pin.

LIGHT PIGTAIL ------------------------------Attach to truck and assure free to swing.

EMERGENCY CABLES ---------------------Crisscross and attach hooks to truck.

EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE ------------Attach cable hook to truck.

TRAILER BEARINGS ------------------------Check bearing buddies, blue showing and bras installed.

TIRES --------------------------------------------Check condition and proper inflation.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

PRE DEPARTURE DRIVEWAY CHECKS

OVERALL BOAT -----------------------------Winch hook and safetybow cable attached securely to bow eye, retighten if necessary.

TRANSOME STRAPS ------------------------Installed and secure, retighten if necessary.

TRANSOME DRAIN PLUG -----------------Install and lube if needed.

JET (WATER) INTAKES --------------------Check intake grate and outflow is clear of debris.

ENGINE ROOM DRAIN PLUGS -----------Install (3)

SKI LOCKER DRAIN PLUGS --------------Install (1)

CLEANOUTS----------------------------------Check cleanouts free and clear of debris.

EZ-LOCKS -------------------------------------Install safety pins into plug locks while unlocked.

CLEANOUT PLUGS -------------------------Install plugs into cleanouts. Insure EZ-LOCK pins engage completely when the T-Handle is locked. Pull up firmly on T-Handle to assure plug is locked in place.

CLEANOUT HATCH -------------------------Assure hatch is secure prior to departure.

BATTERY --------------------------------------Check connection, fill if needed, Battery Switch On.

OIL AND FUEL -------------------------------Check engine oil on dipstick. Check fuel system for leaks.If fuel not topped off after previous trip – fuel boat enroute.

STEERING, THROTTLE, SHIFTING -----Check operation, position, and freedom of movement.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER -----------------------Check.

ENGINE AND ACCESSORIES -------------Check bilge pump cycles. Operate blower, assure vapor free. Start both engines (15 seconds maximum without water flow). Assure kill switch stops engines. Secure engine hatch.

HORN -------------------------------------------Check operation.

BIMINI TOP -----------------------------------Check padding installed and top down for trailering.

WINDSHIELD ---------------------------------Check that windshield walk-thru is securely locked.

SEATS ------------------------------------------Lock Capt. Chair against couch and set F/O Chair upright.

MOORING COVER --------------------------If trailering with cover, tighten rachets, secure, and covered.

PROVISIONS----------------------------------Assure all gear and provisions are loaded on board. ICE.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

PRE-LAUNCH CHECK

At Top Of Ramp

TRANSOME STRAPS -----------------------Remove straps.

MOORING COVER --------------------------If trailering with cover, remove and stow in truck.

BIMINI ------------------------------------------Remove padding, lift onto support rods and pin.

TRANSOME PLUG ---------------------------Check installed.

CLEANOUT PLUGS -------------------------Check cleanout plugs locked and ez-lock pins engaged.

CLEANOUT HATCH -------------------------Remove aft docklines and secure hatch.

BATTERY SWITCH---------------------------On

BLOWER ---------------------------------------Run until engines started (4 minutes minimum or open hatch).

BILGE PUMP ----------------------------------Switch remains on while boat is in the water.

Trailer In Water

TRAILER DEPTH -----------------------------Wet bunks, boat floating, pull up exposing forward fender.

DOCK LINES ----------------------------------Install if docking intended. ASSURE all lines not in water!

FENDERS --------------------------------------Remove from storage, do not install until clear of trailer.

ENGINES ---------------------------------------Throttles in neutral. Start both engines (#2 first).

KILL SWITCH ---------------------------------Pull lanyard to test kill switch. Reinstall and restart engines.

BOW WINCH HOOK / SAFETY CABLE-Remove both and hook together. Reset winch for loading.

LAUNCH ---------------------------------------Back boat from trailer. Trailer may have to be backed deeper.

COOLING WATER ---------------------------Pee Hole flow - takes RPM , >20 seconds, warm engines

NO WAKE MODE ----------------------------Check operation.

ENGINE OIL------------------------------------Check (7 minutes cruise/ 3 minutes idle) to > L < H mark.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

BOAT RECOVERY CHECKLIST

FENDERS ---------------------------------------Remove and stow prior to recovering to trailer.

DOCK LINES -----------------------------------Remove and stow prior to recovering to trailer.

TRAILER ----------------------------------------Wet bunks, expose 3-4’ of center bunks.

Boat should be powered firmly against bow stop.

BOW WINCH HOOK/SAFETY CABLE --Attach hooks and snug winch tightwhile powered against stop. Idle engines. Do not leave running more than 15 sec.

TRAILER ----------------------------------------Pull trailer and boat from water and park at top of ramp.

ENGINES ----------------------------------------Accelerate engine RPM rapidly to 7K-8K to eject water.

Kill engines and remove keys.

ACCESSORIES ---------------------------------All switches off (bilge pump, blower, radio, lighting).

BATTERY SWITCH--------------------------Off

STERN ANCHOR LIGHT -------------------Remove light pole and stow. Cover light mounting socket.

EQUIPMENT -----------------------------------Remove all gear brought on board to truck.

WINDSHIELD ----------------------------------Close and lock securely.

BIMINI -------------------------------------------Stow collapsed and secure padding.

CAPTAIN’S CHAIR ---------------------------Slide back against couch and lock in place.

FO’s CHAIR -------------------------------------Stow in chair position (not couch).

ENGINE HATCH -------------------------------Assure closed and locked.

ENGINE ROOM DRAIN PLUGS -----------Remove (3).

SKI LOCKER DRAIN PLUG ----------------Remove (1).

CLEANOUT PLUGS --------------------------Remove ez-locks. Remove cleanout plugs to drain, leave out.

CLEANOUT HATCH ------------------------- Replace aft dock lines and lock hatch.

MOORING COVER ---------------------------Install if desired, straps tight, rachets locked and covered.

TRANSOME DRAIN PLUG -----------------Remove.

TRANSOME STRAPS ------------------------Install.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is his checklist for a day of boating

Brain Fart leads to Mistake

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

BEFORE GARAGE REMOVAL

KEYS--------------------------------------------Verify all keys are available.

KILL SWITCH LANYARD-----------------Verify onboard and installed.

BATTERY CHARGE CABLE --------------Un-couple battery charge coupling.

EXTENDED EXCURSION ------------------Stow charger and extension cord in boat.

AREA AROUND BOAT ---------------------Remove boarding stool and assure area clear.

TRAILER HITCH LOCK --------------------Remove and place in truck.

SWING ARM ----------------------------------Position and install pin and key (assure cables are clear).

TRAILER BRAKES --------------------------Check fluid level and check lockout clip removed.

TRAILER HITCH -----------------------------Attach trailer to ball (2”).

HITCH LOCK LEVER ARM ----------------Lock lever arm and install pin.

LIGHT PIGTAIL ------------------------------Attach to truck and assure free to swing.

EMERGENCY CABLES ---------------------Crisscross and attach hooks to truck.

EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE ------------Attach cable hook to truck.

TRAILER BEARINGS ------------------------Check bearing buddies, blue showing and bras installed.

TIRES --------------------------------------------Check condition and proper inflation.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

PRE DEPARTURE DRIVEWAY CHECKS

OVERALL BOAT -----------------------------Winch hook and safetybow cable attached securely to bow eye, retighten if necessary.

TRANSOME STRAPS ------------------------Installed and secure, retighten if necessary.

TRANSOME DRAIN PLUG -----------------Install and lube if needed.

JET (WATER) INTAKES --------------------Check intake grate and outflow is clear of debris.

ENGINE ROOM DRAIN PLUGS -----------Install (3)

SKI LOCKER DRAIN PLUGS --------------Install (1)

CLEANOUTS----------------------------------Check cleanouts free and clear of debris.

EZ-LOCKS -------------------------------------Install safety pins into plug locks while unlocked.

CLEANOUT PLUGS -------------------------Install plugs into cleanouts. Insure EZ-LOCK pins engage completely when the T-Handle is locked. Pull up firmly on T-Handle to assure plug is locked in place.

CLEANOUT HATCH -------------------------Assure hatch is secure prior to departure.

BATTERY --------------------------------------Check connection, fill if needed, Battery Switch On.

OIL AND FUEL -------------------------------Check engine oil on dipstick. Check fuel system for leaks.If fuel not topped off after previous trip – fuel boat enroute.

STEERING, THROTTLE, SHIFTING -----Check operation, position, and freedom of movement.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER -----------------------Check.

ENGINE AND ACCESSORIES -------------Check bilge pump cycles. Operate blower, assure vapor free. Start both engines (15 seconds maximum without water flow). Assure kill switch stops engines. Secure engine hatch.

HORN -------------------------------------------Check operation.

BIMINI TOP -----------------------------------Check padding installed and top down for trailering.

WINDSHIELD ---------------------------------Check that windshield walk-thru is securely locked.

SEATS ------------------------------------------Lock Capt. Chair against couch and set F/O Chair upright.

MOORING COVER --------------------------If trailering with cover, tighten rachets, secure, and covered.

PROVISIONS----------------------------------Assure all gear and provisions are loaded on board. ICE.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

PRE-LAUNCH CHECK

At Top Of Ramp

TRANSOME STRAPS -----------------------Remove straps.

MOORING COVER --------------------------If trailering with cover, remove and stow in truck.

BIMINI ------------------------------------------Remove padding, lift onto support rods and pin.

TRANSOME PLUG ---------------------------Check installed.

CLEANOUT PLUGS -------------------------Check cleanout plugs locked and ez-lock pins engaged.

CLEANOUT HATCH -------------------------Remove aft docklines and secure hatch.

BATTERY SWITCH---------------------------On

BLOWER ---------------------------------------Run until engines started (4 minutes minimum or open hatch).

BILGE PUMP ----------------------------------Switch remains on while boat is in the water.

Trailer In Water

TRAILER DEPTH -----------------------------Wet bunks, boat floating, pull up exposing forward fender.

DOCK LINES ----------------------------------Install if docking intended. ASSURE all lines not in water!

FENDERS --------------------------------------Remove from storage, do not install until clear of trailer.

ENGINES ---------------------------------------Throttles in neutral. Start both engines (#2 first).

KILL SWITCH ---------------------------------Pull lanyard to test kill switch. Reinstall and restart engines.

BOW WINCH HOOK / SAFETY CABLE-Remove both and hook together. Reset winch for loading.

LAUNCH ---------------------------------------Back boat from trailer. Trailer may have to be backed deeper.

COOLING WATER ---------------------------Pee Hole flow - takes RPM , >20 seconds, warm engines

NO WAKE MODE ----------------------------Check operation.

ENGINE OIL------------------------------------Check (7 minutes cruise/ 3 minutes idle) to > L < H mark.

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

BOAT RECOVERY CHECKLIST

FENDERS ---------------------------------------Remove and stow prior to recovering to trailer.

DOCK LINES -----------------------------------Remove and stow prior to recovering to trailer.

TRAILER ----------------------------------------Wet bunks, expose 3-4’ of center bunks.

Boat should be powered firmly against bow stop.

BOW WINCH HOOK/SAFETY CABLE --Attach hooks and snug winch tightwhile powered against stop. Idle engines. Do not leave running more than 15 sec.

TRAILER ----------------------------------------Pull trailer and boat from water and park at top of ramp.

ENGINES ----------------------------------------Accelerate engine RPM rapidly to 7K-8K to eject water.

Kill engines and remove keys.

ACCESSORIES ---------------------------------All switches off (bilge pump, blower, radio, lighting).

BATTERY SWITCH--------------------------Off

STERN ANCHOR LIGHT -------------------Remove light pole and stow. Cover light mounting socket.

EQUIPMENT -----------------------------------Remove all gear brought on board to truck.

WINDSHIELD ----------------------------------Close and lock securely.

BIMINI -------------------------------------------Stow collapsed and secure padding.

CAPTAIN’S CHAIR ---------------------------Slide back against couch and lock in place.

FO’s CHAIR -------------------------------------Stow in chair position (not couch).

ENGINE HATCH -------------------------------Assure closed and locked.

ENGINE ROOM DRAIN PLUGS -----------Remove (3).

SKI LOCKER DRAIN PLUG ----------------Remove (1).

CLEANOUT PLUGS --------------------------Remove ez-locks. Remove cleanout plugs to drain, leave out.

CLEANOUT HATCH ------------------------- Replace aft dock lines and lock hatch.

MOORING COVER ---------------------------Install if desired, straps tight, rachets locked and covered.

TRANSOME DRAIN PLUG -----------------Remove.

TRANSOME STRAPS ------------------------Install.
Perfect

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Bruce for pasting...Here is a .doc copy you can alter to fit your own needs...as an old friend once said, add beer and ice to the checklist!

Attachments

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the boat and had it on the lake all day yesterday! Rides amazing, we are in love! Thanks everyone for all of the help and support of our first boat, greatly appreciated and took away a lot of stress! I do have one final question we have it on the lake at a boat dock and unfortunately it does not have a lift, are we suppose to keep the bilge pump on since it's still in the water because currently we do not have it on. If we are suppose to keep it on, does it drain the battery? If so, is there a recommendation for something to charge the batteries? Also are we suppose to take out the two cleanout plugs when we have it docked?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the boat and had it on the lake all day yesterday! Rides amazing, we are in love! Thanks everyone for all of the help and support of our first boat, greatly appreciated and took away a lot of stress! I do have one final question we have it on the lake at a boat dock and unfortunately it does not have a lift, are we suppose to keep the bilge pump on since it's still in the water because currently we do not have it on. If we are suppose to keep it on, does it drain the battery? If so, is there a recommendation for something to charge the batteries? Also are we suppose to take out the two cleanout plugs when we have it docked?
Congrats on the boat!!!!!

Here are some helpful hints on bilge pump management - just for starters. Others will chime in too.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/battery-disconnect-and-bilge-pump-still-left-on.13167/

--