• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 AR 230 should we buy?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A lot of us just buy Fat Sacs and move them around the boat to create a wake. We put them on the floor in the cockpit, on the seats (typically on the side of the surfer), on the swim platform, in the ski locker, in the bow. Where you put the weight and how much weight affects the wake. This site is a good source for ballast: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bag-pump-combos

You will find guys on here that get real serious about surfing and they are spending more coin to put in automated, hidden ballast systems. I'm currently not that guy so can't speak to that process.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A lot of us just buy Fat Sacs and move them around the boat to create a wake. We put them on the floor in the cockpit, on the seats (typically on the side of the surfer), on the swim platform, in the ski locker, in the bow. Where you put the weight and how much weight affects the wake. This site is a good source for ballast: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bag-pump-combos

You will find guys on here that get real serious about surfing and they are spending more coin to put in automated, hidden ballast systems. I'm currently not that guy so can't speak to that process.
So basically to do it that way it take up a lot of room because your putting them on the seats and stuff right? Those things are heavy, how are they lifted and moved around like that?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a sweet looking boat! There are tons of options on how to add ballast. The simplest is to put it on the seats....no you can't move a bag once it is filled.....you empty it to move it. How much weight you need depends on lots of factors....the most important of which is how big your board is and how big you are. Most people are shooting for a min 1000lbs up to a max of 3000lbs. Or you just find some big friends (aka ballast) to join you....they are easier to move around!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So looks like I'm going to pick the boat up Thursday or Friday! Once again I'm novice when it comes to boating and this is my wife and Is first boat but I have been watching a lot of YouTube about wake surfing. Can that be done on this boat and if so what all would I need to do to make that happen?
Have you watched Isaac' video yet?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski you mean buying a used boat without turning on the engines the engines, or trading in a 3 month Honda pilot for truck and crossing the Bermuda triangle on 10 hours of experience is irrational? No way, only you could make such an unsubstantiated claim. This is all perfectly rational. I talked with my shrink, and not only she approved, but she is going to Bimini with us. LOL

@Austin Ramsey Isaacs video is something will take your mind away from the wake boarding. But it costed me the following
  • $14K on top of boat purchase price
  • $10 of anticipated expenses in July
  • my wife to be having a 2 hour daily affair with our local gym
This is the equivalent of taking the pain away of broken finger by cutting off the hand.

END OF DISCLAIMER.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Austin Ramsey I was looking at random youtube videos and I run accidentally on Isaacs video in early October. By October 31st, the guys in the forum seduced me to sale my 3 month old Honda Pilot as it will not be able to tow my newly purchased boat ( 2012 SX240). Since then I have been prepping the boat that I bought for the making the Bimini trip in in July of this year. Aside from the purchase price I have spend $14K in related costs and the $10K is what I expect for the Bimini trip to cost me and my family.

I am in the same "boat" as you, my only experience with boats was 8 hours on a pontoon rental and 2 hours on Jetski. Nevertheless, this July I will try to go to Bahamas with the Jetboaters group. My innuendo was that once you see Issac's video you will forget about the wake boarding and all you will want is to go to Bimini with your new boat.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski you mean buying a used boat without turning on the engines the engines, or trading in a 3 month Honda pilot for truck and crossing the Bermuda triangle on 10 hours of experience is irrational? No way, only you could make such an unsubstantiated claim. This is all perfectly rational. I talked with my shrink, and not only she approved, but she is going to Bimini with us. LOL

@Austin Ramsey Isaacs video is something will take your mind away from the wake boarding. But it costed me the following
  • $14K on top of boat purchase price
  • $10 of anticipated expenses in July
  • my wife to be having a 2 hour daily affair with our local gym
This is the equivalent of taking the pain away of broken finger by cutting off the hand.

END OF DISCLAIMER.

Bad ass video!

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Austin Ramsey I was looking at random youtube videos and I run accidentally on Isaacs video in early October. By October 31st, the guys in the forum seduced me to sale my 3 month old Honda Pilot as it will not be able to tow my newly purchased boat ( 2012 SX240). Since then I have been prepping the boat that I bought for the making the Bimini trip in in July of this year. Aside from the purchase price I have spend $14K in related costs and the $10K is what I expect for the Bimini trip to cost me and my family.

I am in the same "boat" as you, my only experience with boats was 8 hours on a pontoon rental and 2 hours on Jetski. Nevertheless, this July I will try to go to Bahamas with the Jetboaters group. My innuendo was that once you see Issac's video you will forget about the wake boarding and all you will want is to go to Bimini with your new boat.
I'm down! Let's go! When is it in July? I guess I should get the boat first though lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You still got 77 days. LMAO

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_01471.jpg ;)Pleanty of time to find a gem
I love my new sx190 and just for a few thousand more. But I wouldnt try Bimini not in this size boat.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"Destiny favors the bold" and anyone who has met me in last 17 years will testify that I am bald. LOL

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am Definitely going to try to make this trip happen, been reading about it for an hour. Sounds like a great experience
It is an amazing experience. So much so that this will be my family's fourth trip. But, it also is a real chance to lose your boat or even your life. So you have to make sure everyone and everything is prepared for the crossing.