• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX-230 Stereo Upgrade

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been in touch with @Earmark Marine - Odin at Earmark regarding a package deal for my boat. It's on the way to me from Texas, should have it tomorrow.

I wanted to share in advance as there may be an increase coming down and figured I would give a shout out in case there are others on the fence with pricing with Odin.

Components in the package:
  1. Amp: M800/8V2
  2. Speakers: MX650CCX 4 in the tub and 2 for the swim deck
  3. Sub: M10IB5
  4. Backup ring for sub and isolation kit for the 6.5" coaxial co located behind captains chair compartment
  5. Head unit: Fusion MS-UD750
  6. Transom remote: MS-NRX200I
  7. 6 meter cable to interconnect: WR600EXT6
Looking forward to the upgrade and want to express my gratitude to this great site to help me spend $$.

@txav8r - Mel, thanks for the pictures from your install in the nauti dawg.

@Earmark Marine thanks for being so helpful and for the package pricing!

Thanks
Mark

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your welcome! That's what we're here for! After your install, it will be you that is sharing pics and know how! And pics are a requirement!!! Good luck on the install!

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mark, you're going to love it! Thanks for the business, and I'll be looking to hear from you around installation time. I included those additional documents we talked about, let me know if you have any questions after giving everything a read.

Odin

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a nice system! This would be nice in my 2005..... I need a second job! That's $2500, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf that's in the ballpark, Odin was able to offer a significant save from list. Reach out to him for a package deal. I believe JL may be running mfr special now that might make things more favorable, given the time of year.

Thanks
Mark

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf that's in the ballpark, Odin was able to offer a significant save from list. Reach out to him for a package deal. I believe JL may be running mfr special now that might make things more favorable, given the time of year.

Thanks
Mark
@Murf'n'surf - Odin was able to knock off a significant (dbl digit %) from that number (list amount) you quoted.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mark, you're going to love it! Thanks for the business, and I'll be looking to hear from you around installation time. I included those additional documents we talked about, let me know if you have any questions after giving everything a read.

Odin
Odin,

Items came safe and sound! Very well packed. Starting to study the detailed install instructions that Odin included.

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sub installed today! Cut conservative with air saw from harbor freight. Used die grinder to expand to get final fitting.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I edited to add full image. txav8r

Last edited by a moderator:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I like the way the blue baffle matches the hull. Nice touch.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some hints from the install:

Either the sub didn't include a template or I lost it... Anyway, I drew my circle and cut in the following manner:

1. Measured the distance across, and top to bottom to find centerpoint.
2. After consult from my father in law, used welding wire to make my 'string'
3. Used a self tapping screw, and wrapped the weld wire around screw and sharpie.
4. Marked mount holes for sub using the sport ring
5. Marked offset holes for the carpet covered birch ring.
6. Enlarged hole with die grinder
7. Mounted ring
8. Mounted sub

I did have little bit of struggle with getting the ring positioned just right so the sub would fit. I suspect a less conservative hole cut would have solved for this. Have others experienced same?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That sub install is very nice. I love the carpet up and around the Sub in the back. Sharp! I did have an issue with the ring not being positioned well and of course I had glued it into place and had to remove it to re-secure it. The second time, I put glue on the ring and screwed in the sub before the glue set, so I could make sure it was still movable when I was installing. No idea if the glue actually set and took or not, but it feels very secure nonetheless.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW...........so jealous of that location. That area is really curved on mine so I could not use that area.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys - for those who have installed the MX-650s on the bow... is the 5" hole saw the way to go or non-standard 5.25"?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Guys - for those who have installed the MX-650s on the bow... is the 5" hole saw the way to go or non-standard 5.25"?
I bought my standard 5" hole saw at Lowe's or Home Depot, can't remember where. It is a 5" (127mm) standard arbor driven hole saw. I installed my JL Audio MX650's on the transom of my '08 SX230 using this saw and they fit perfectly. Be sure to run the drill in reverse until you are below the gelcoat, otherwise the saw's teeth can grab and chip the gelcoat badly. Once below the gelcoat, you can run the drill in forward for the teeth to cut through the fiberglass. This is a BIG hole saw to be running in a hand held drill, be careful! Variable speed helps a bunch too.

@mark_m , $16 for a big hole saw setup like that is a good price for sure. I have some tools bought at HF that are great and some that have been a total waste of money. I can't comment on what those will do and if they are up to the task. My saw is a Milwaukee tool. Depending on the surface you try to cut through, they can certainly be considered throw away. I put a new lock on a metal door a few years back. I had to replace my hole saw after cutting through it, the metal dulled the teeth so bad. The teeth can sharpened, not a skill I have developed.

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Mel! The $18 air saw was great for cutting in the subwoofer. I left it with my brother in law / donate to the farm tools.

I might splurge and go for a nicer 5" hole saw and donate that too. Thanks for the input on variable speed drill. I'll post more when I get time to continue the install.

Thanks
Mark

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used that hole saw kit from HF for my swim deck speakers and it did a great job. I have used it for others things as well with no issues.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ran the 14/2 duplex marine wire to the helm compartment.

Starboard side finished. I did run into headaches with fuel hatch.

image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg