• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 ar210.... Max speed is 37mph, and max rpm is 7900... normal???

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At WOT on flat water I see 40-41 mph (speedo) at 8400 rpm (starboard engine) @ 1190ft'. That's with 2 on board and half a tank. My port tach only shows 7800 rpm but I think it is "off", because Iv'e tried everything to get the revs up. Plus the engines "sound" perfectly synced at WOT. I imagine on GPS I'd see a few more MPH. That's a 2006 sx210 BTW.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have wondered how accurate the tachs on any of the boats really are. Maybe it's time for some testing with aftermarket stuff? A 200 rpm decrease can be 5 mph on top end! Haven't seen anyone compare the tachs to new ones but i know mine were broke on my exciter and i just replaced those.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So this brings a question for me. I have a 2015 sx210 and my title says 320 hp?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have 220 hp if you have the 1052 motors. You can tell if you have the 1052 motors by looking at the air filter. If it is in a large cylindrical housing you have the 1052. If the air filter is inside a gray box on top of the motor then you have the 160 hp engine.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What I'm curious about is the title says 320 hp. Insurance rates are figured on hp partly

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like a mistake. I'd check with Yamaha about it. Just give them your hull id.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will @JetBoatPilot , yes it has the 1052 s and I'm happy with the boat , I was just curious about the conflicting info on the interwebs. Thank you for the prompt response and shipping on my seadek last week

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a mistake. I'd check with Yamaha about it. Just give them your hull id.
Should I ask them where my extra 100 hp is at that the title says it should have? ;) j/k I will be calling the insurance though and see if my insurance goes down.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have been out a grand total of 3 times since purchasing the boat new.... did the break in per spec... and in the words of a great race drive...ricki bobbi, now "I wanna go fast." I have read where the ar 192s are hitting speeds of 49 and 50... makes me jealous as my max speed is 36 to 37, any suggestions?? is it the altitude??
My 2006 SX210 hits GPS 40-42 mph tops at 1,000 foot elevation, with a full tank of gas and a few smaller people on board. Add in six big guys and top is about 37mph or so.

My engines are 110 hp each. They rev between 7,900 and 8,100 rpm. For some reason my port engine has always run a little bit rough and max rpm is a bit lower than the starboard engine. It's been that way since I bought the boat used in 2009.

I run iridium plugs. They don't impact max rpm but they make the engines run smoother and a tiny bit quieter in my experience.

We normally cruise at 30mph which Boat Test says is the fuel consumption sweet spot. We tow about 20-22mph except for when towing a skier. So only rarely push the boat up to 40mph. It just sucks too much fuel, the wind is a bother at those speeds too.

I've always been disappointed with the SX210 power, not from a top speed desire though. If I make very tight turns, or spins, the boat slows dramatically and it seems to drag coming out of the spin and regaining speed (impellers are in great condition). When towing tubes I'd like a bit more power so I could push the throttles up to whip the tube outside the wake when there are light weight children on the tube. I used to tow the tube with my Honda PWC which had extra power and actually did a much better job of tube towing than the SX210. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a Yamaha with more power.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will @JetBoatPilot , yes it has the 1052 s and I'm happy with the boat , I was just curious about the conflicting info on the interwebs. Thank you for the prompt response and shipping on my seadek last week
You got it! Enjoy!!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so calling the insurance company saved me 200 per year btw

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

gwevers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread is of great interest to me. Have a 2006 SX210. 95% of the time, only run at Lake Tahoe, in Sierra Nevada Mountains. The lake straddles CA and NV borders, and lake level is 6200 ft.

1) "Stock" boat was sluggish - max speed of 34 - 35 mph with about 7000 rpm, wide open throttle.

2) Spoke to Yamaha => they agreed they would pay for LABOR for a third party in Arizona to re-pitch NEW stock impellers (I had to buy these)

3) Now, with full gas tank, 2 - 3 adults, can hit 36 mph max speed (GPS and Speedo) with about 7800 rpm on one side, 7900 rpm on the other.

Very happy with the boat - other than it being marginal on power for high elevation (6200 feet).

I wish there was something I could do, to buy back 10% or so in power. Does anyone know, if the 2006 SX210 MR1 motors, have same basic design as the 23 foot boat's HO engines? If in fact main difference between the two engines is the induction system and ECU, would it be possible to install the SX230 style intakes, etc. on the SX210 motor to pick up a few hp ?

Regards

GW

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread is of great interest to me. Have a 2006 SX210. 95% of the time, only run at Lake Tahoe, in Sierra Nevada Mountains. The lake straddles CA and NV borders, and lake level is 6200 ft.

1) "Stock" boat was sluggish - max speed of 34 - 35 mph with about 7000 rpm, wide open throttle.

2) Spoke to Yamaha => they agreed they would pay for LABOR for a third party in Arizona to re-pitch NEW stock impellers (I had to buy these)

3) Now, with full gas tank, 2 - 3 adults, can hit 36 mph max speed (GPS and Speedo) with about 7800 rpm on one side, 7900 rpm on the other.

Very happy with the boat - other than it being marginal on power for high elevation (6200 feet).

I wish there was something I could do, to buy back 10% or so in power. Does anyone know, if the 2006 SX210 MR1 motors, have same basic design as the 23 foot boat's HO engines? If in fact main difference between the two engines is the induction system and ECU, would it be possible to install the SX230 style intakes, etc. on the SX210 motor to pick up a few hp ?

Regards

GW
Unfortunately the MR-1 non-HO are not upgradable to HO. The topic has been discussed to death on greenhulk (in jet skis).
I must say the 36mph and 7,800 RPM is not bad at all at that elevation, although the HOs would give you some more no doubt.

But without superchargers nothing is going to work great, and then your fuel economy (and the range) just takes a nose dive!

--

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Regards

GW
Did you talk to yamaha directly or your yamaha dealer?

gwevers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you talk to yamaha directly or your yamaha dealer?
Spoke to Yamaha customer service directly. Local dealer (in Carson City) was totally worthless.

gwevers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also thanks to Swatski for reply.

Seems strange that MR-1 'regular' and MR-1 "HO" are not compatible ( my words, not yours) or rather "non-HO is not upgradeable to HO".

1) Same displacement in both types; yes? Same engine blocks, for both non-HO and HO, correct ?

2) Manufacturing efficiencies / economy of scale / economics would push Yamaha to use the base block, and upgrade 'breathing', maybe camshaft, and Engine Control Unit to squeeze more RPM + HP out of HO version.

If I look at the air intake 'throttle body' that has valve that opens to let more in, closes to reduce RPM, that feeds intake manifold, it looks like it is a 'chokepoint' for air coming into engine. I am talking about the thing that the hose from air cleaner clamps to. Possible to get larger diameter throttle body? Very small increase in diameter would mean more cross-sectional area for air to enter, better breathing.

Another aside question - wondering when the rev limiter kicks in for the non-HO MR-1 in the SX210.

Stated another way: what would curves of RPM vs Horsepower look like? i.e. as long as we keep below rev limiter boundary, is there any advantage to reducing impeller pitch such that max RPM at Wide Open Throttle is, say, 8500 or 9000 RPM? Or, does power output rise, and then start falling above 8000 RPM or so, for this non-HO engine?

Air cleaners: I did experiment with some simple K&N air cleaners, to try to reduce intake restriction:

1) removed rubber tube to throttle body in stock setup (remove hose clamp, pull off big black rubber tube that feeds engine air intake)

2) Fit short, cylindrical - shaped K&N air filters onto the engine air intake or throttle body (bought generic ones from K&N and picked largest / tallest ones that would still fit between air intake on engine where you hose clamp it on, and vertical fiberglass wall between engine compartment and cockpit)

Result: according to tachometers, and when trying to hold boat weight relatively constant (same 2 adults and same full gas tank each case), I managed to pick up maybe 100 - 200 RPM with the K&N's. BUT the noise increase was horrendous ! Much more engine noise. So went back to the stock long rubber hoses with stock air cleaners.

My apologies if all of this stuff has already been covered.

Anyone know, what max typical non-HO MR-1 engine RPM is, at sea level, with wide open throttle, moderate load, full gas tank? 8500 RPM ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know, what max typical non-HO MR-1 engine RPM is, at sea level, with wide open throttle, moderate load, full gas tank? 8500 RPM ?
I believe that's about right.
The non-HO could be upgraded to HO but it would be more expensive than buying a new HO engine, based on discussions I've read, so no one does that.
Similar situation to supercharging a 1.8 engine, a N/A to SHO or SVHO conversion just not doable.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length