• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Scarab 255 w/ 180 hrs - Oil Change

Jdr444

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I changed engine oil in April 2022 and only put 20 hrs on engine last year. Is it necessary to change it again in April 2023? Looking to save a little on maintenance cost. (Only 180 hrs total on engine)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well, I REALLY tried to find scientific proof and not just opinions, articles, etc. I wasn't able to find any. But after reading TONS of content, it is "recommended" time and time again by every single written thing I came across to replace your oil after about a year even if unused. This includes an opened bottle of oil not even sitting in an engine.

Would you be ok? Probably yeah. When oil doesn't perform as well as it should, then you start getting excess wear on the engine. Would you notice? Probably not. Maybe it won't have any effect at all. Maybe it will shorten the lifespan of the engine by a year or two. But nobody can predict that.

My personal opinion? Learn to do it yourself (sounds like you're paying a dealer?), then it becomes really simple to justify. You need an inexpensive vacuum pump and an E10 socket. That's it. The oil change kits are pretty cheap. Comes with filter, oil and o-rings. Ours here in Canada for my 1500cc engine is about $102CAD ($76USD). The vacuum pump is a one time cost and then you can use it every time in the future. You can buy a simple hand one... that's what I've been using for years.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Also, if you are learning how to change it yourself, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help and walk you through the steps. It really isn't hard.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oil does have a shelf life when in a sealed container. I believe most manufacturers publish this data, around 5 to 8 years depending on conventional or synthetic. Oil will degrade faster after having been exposed to engine internal elements, moisture, contaminants ect.. How fast this occurs is anyone's guess really, it probably has to do with a mirid of things and there's no one size fits all. My guess is that, Like Luc suggested, it may be ok, but why take the risk. I change my own oil, Cost about 100$ for both motors and filters. Thats pretty cheap piece of mind if you ask me. The old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" fits the scenario here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The other thing that happens to oil, especially Dino 🦖 oil is that it oxidizes over time. That is why you will see things like “change every 200 hours or one year“.

It is also important to not short cycle the engine, which means the oil and engine temp do not come fully up to temperature for at least 20 mins. Each time you start your engine condensation forms in the block under the pistons and such. If you do not run the engine at full operating temperature for at least 20 mins, 30 is better, you will not remove this condensation. This condensation then causes oxidation of the block material and creates acids in the oil.

When you think about how many rpms these little engines turn, the need for oil that is in good shape is important.

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Moisture build up and condensation if left in engine ... period.