• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2018 242 Limited SE Rear Boat Anchor

Kernsy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I need another anchor for the rear. Our 242 SE swings in the wind and current. Just like to keep it from moving.

Looking at the small. Any thoughts or help would greatly be appreciated.

IMG_2468.jpg
Thanks
Darren

Too many options and variables. The box anchor seems to work well in most situations. I have a fluke, screw & navy anchors on my boat and have used them all, it just depends on the situation I’m in as far as which ones are used. Sand, mud, depth, wake or not, current, wind and other factors go into this decision.

Thank You. I am so stupid. I did a search on this and found out more information. I will mostly be putting in with mud bottoms, Patoka Lake. I think what I read the small box anchor will work well. Thanks Babin Farms for the reply.

Thank You Again
Darren

This was the original 5# anchor I bought for my boat and it worked without slipping the times I used it in a mud bottom lake. Later I went to a 10# version with a lot more chain, but I keep this one on board for use as a stern anchor.

I like Box anchor a lot. better than fluke anchor dealer gave me.
I got box anchor 19lb to hold from swinging, but think 19lb is overkill to hold the rear of the boat.
Plan to get 13lb
13lb Box anchor

Strongly advise to get to get a shackle, I almost lost mine because the hook that I had with the rope undid itself.
Shackle

As mentioned above, a heavier anchor doesn’t mean it’s better. I have used my fluke anchor in muddy, rock and sand bottoms with no issues. The only thing you need to do is size the anchor to the size of the boat, have a long & heavy enough chain and make sure you put out enough rode. My fluke can’t weigh more than a couple pounds but holds my 23’ boat with no issues, even in terrible conditions. It digs in deep as it’s being pulled against and sets well due to the 3 main things stated above. Anchor, chain & rode.

Last edited:
Thank You Everyone for the advice. I am going to keep looking. My fluke anchor always holds well. I just get the rear swinging sometimes because of wake, winds, etc. I have a lot to learn what will work & not work.

Again, Thank You to everyone for helping me.
My wife and I are so ready for this summer. Weather has been terrible here in Indiana.

Darren

I have the exact same boat and use the 26lb box anchor on the bow and the 19lb box anchor on the stern and the combo works great in sand/mud.

i bought the original 19’ box anchor for the bow of my first boat (SX 230) which worked great but when I tried it with my 242-LS it got dragged around a bit due to the higher freeboard. I then bought the 26lb for the bow and kept the 19lb for the stern.

Last edited:
Your boat looks great in your avatar. Love that black and white. I am drawn to those powdercoated box anchors. I really like the green one. It weighs 21 lbs. Probably crazy to spend the extra $$ for powdercoating but I am drawn to it. I leaning on the 1/2 braided nylon line.

Thanks
Darren

I almost bought the same powder coated green one but when it came time to check out I couldn’t justify the extra cost. :)

I have both the small box anchor and a shore spike for my stern.

In calmer waters, I use the Spike Anchor with a bungee. I have started to use the Box Anchor just to try it out and it holds perfectly on the stern. I've tried it with both a bungee and a normal anchor line. Bungee is really good when the waves kick up due to boat traffic. I might switch out my fluke style for a box for the Bow. Just got to make sure it fits in the anchor locker.

I store both in the clean out tray are. I don't have a recent pic of the Box Anchor, but it is stored in front of the Spike.

SandAnchor.jpg

I have both the small box anchor and a shore spike for my stern.

In calmer waters, I use the Spike Anchor with a bungee. I have started to use the Box Anchor just to try it out and it holds perfectly on the stern. I've tried it with both a bungee and a normal anchor line. Bungee is really good when the waves kick up due to boat traffic. I might switch out my fluke style for a box for the Bow. Just got to make sure it fits in the anchor locker.

I store both in the clean out tray are. I don't have a recent pic of the Box Anchor, but it is stored in front of the Spike.

View attachment 214310

Looks like something you would use to repel boarders……..do you have pirate issues where you boat?? :)

@1WetBoat

where did u get the mounting brackets? I have the same short spike
I got them from Amazon, they are called "END OF ROAD Original Quick Fist Clamp"

I then used some SS bolts/nuts to attach them to the cleanout tray.

SandAnchorStraps.jpg

Back