• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

BEACH ANCHORING MADE EASY... CHECK OUT MY LATEST VIDEO

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Laugh a little, learn a few things as well. My Youtube channel has many videos but close to 40 of them are Yamaha Boat related. If you're not already a subscriber and you like my content, please subscribe. Hitting the notification bell will alert you of when the newest videos are released. This short video was published today, hope you enjoy it:

@Leojay I learned your anchor technique through much trial and error over the summer. Really have to watch those tides, especially when the tide is going out lest you become stuck... Fortunately did not happen to me. Good video for those who have yet to pull your boat up to a beach.

I have been using the same technique for years but I use this Slide Anchor for the beach.

Nice video. I use basically the same process as you. I have two danforth anchors, but not a fortress. I will say that in the sand here in southwest Florida, it can be a challenge to get the danforth to dig in. Sometimes it bites right away, and other times it takes multiple attempts. You just have to be patient. I now try to manually get the anchor to dig in myself as opposed to tying it off on the cleat and backing up. Once it’s set, then I back up to where I want the boat, tie it off on the cleat, then hop off and set the rear one just like you did.

Good video! Have to reiterate the suggestion above for the slide anchor on the beach - holds super well and doesn't take up much space. I have a carabiner on one side that I just latch around the rear tiedown, and a danik hook on the slide anchor side for the tag line. Makes it a real cinch to adjust position as the tide changes, send the admiral on board to pull the boat out a bit and release extra line through the danik.

Nice video. I use basically the same process as you. I have two danforth anchors, but not a fortress. I will say that in the sand here in southwest Florida, it can be a challenge to get the danforth to dig in. Sometimes it bites right away, and other times it takes multiple attempts. You just have to be patient. I now try to manually get the anchor to dig in myself as opposed to tying it off on the cleat and backing up. Once it’s set, then I back up to where I want the boat, tie it off on the cleat, then hop off and set the rear one just like you did.
Let more rode out and it will give your anchor a better angle for digging into the sand. How heavy & how much lead chain do you have on your anchor?

how much lead chain do you have on your anchor?
Ha...funny....I read this as Lead Chain (as in the type of material!)....I'm thinking....really....lead is really soft...do they even make lead chain???? Then I realized you didn't mean the material, but just the chain at the anchor between it and the rope!

Well done as always Capt Leon!

Let more rode out and it will give your anchor a better angle for digging into the sand. How heavy & how much lead chain do you have on your anchor?

Thanks for the tip. I’ve noticed a big difference letting out more rode. I’d guess I’m letting out 35-40 feet in 5-7’ depth trying to get it to bite, sometimes more. I’m not sure on the chain, it’s probably 2-3’. Its really hit or miss. Sometimes it’s right away, other times it takes a few times to set.

More chain that is heavier helps out tremendously. I went from the light shorter chain to the heavier longer chain and it made a world of difference. It keeps the anchor on the bottom digging instead of lifting.
1633628319051.png

More chain that is heavier helps out tremendously. I went from the light shorter chain to the heavier longer chain and it made a world of difference. It keeps the anchor on the bottom digging instead of lifting.
View attachment 164872
Yeah I was just reading that in your thread you shared(thanks for that btw). I think I’m going to get a longer chain and see if I start getting it to set more frequently on the first attempt.

Laugh a little, learn a few things as well. My Youtube channel has many videos but close to 40 of them are Yamaha Boat related. If you're not already a subscriber and you like my content, please subscribe. Hitting the notification bell will alert you of when the newest videos are released. This short video was published today, hope you enjoy it:

Subscribed !!!

Yeah I was just reading that in your thread you shared(thanks for that btw). I think I’m going to get a longer chain and see if I start getting it to set more frequently on the first attempt.

The rule of thumb on West Marines web site for chain length is the length of your boat. I’m using 21’ of 5/16” stainless chain. Spend the extra dough for the stainless chain and you won’t get the grey stains that you get from galvanized chain.

The rule of thumb on West Marines web site for chain length is the length of your boat. I’m using 21’ of 5/16” stainless chain. Spend the extra dough for the stainless chain and you won’t get the grey stains that you get from galvanized chain.
21’ ?? I was thinking more like 7-8’

I have 10' of chain and even hauling that up with a dainty fortress anchor is annoying at times.

21’ ?? I was thinking more like 7-8’

I remember when I was a kid and my Dad had his boat, he used a lot of chain which he said was the key to the anchor not slipping. We rode out some hellashish wind storms on the salton sea and the anchor never slipped…

The big anchor I have is mainly for safety reasons, and secondarily for trips like the one I took to Lake Powell. In addition to the 21’ of chain I have 250’ of anchor rode. I have my small 5 # fluke anchor for use to anchor up in a cove, or if my trolling motor batteries are done. I’ve actually used the smaller anchor with good success in some marginally windy conditions. I have 100’ of rode for the smaller anchor, currently with like 4’ of anchor chain that came with it, I’ll be getting 20’s of 1/4” or 3/16’ chain for it.

The main problem with my boats’ anchor locker is that anchor locker hatch opening backwards.. I’m sure someone thought it was a good idea to do it that way, but they probably never had to use it to deploy or retrieve an anchor!

See my post #76 here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/anchors-anchoring.33761/page-4#post-574421 for more details on my anchor experience at Lake Powell.

Back