• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchors & Anchoring

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have fins or a rudder on for the steering you need to make sure the steering wheel is straight otherwise it will want to turn the boat due to the current.
Have an articulating keel......Kinda like a rudder-ish....I'm firmly in the finless camp at this point.

I'll have to keep an eye on the steering position next time it happens. Had never considered that........Although, that's going to be more of a current thing than a wind thing right? Almost non-existent current at my local lake.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper I tried setting up a "makeshift" bridle the other day. I either did it wrong, or it didn't help much.

I took a dock line and tied a bowline in one end and used the other braided end as is. I put each end on a bow cleat, one port, one starboard. I had the anchor already set with ~4:1 scope (guessed at 20ft depth, had about 80' of line out.....all guesstimates). I took the anchor line and tied a quick loop in it, and passed the dock line through the loop. Made for a "rope one rope" connection, which I know isn't great, but it was a test for a short period. This created my sort of makeshift bridle (had no idea what to call it before now), however it was largely ineffective for me. Not sure if the rope on rope interface didn't let it slip/slide along the bridle, or maybe my boat is just too short in general to really establish a "direction" in the wind.

It wasn't even an aggressive wind either. I'm gonna guess 10-12mph gusts with a light breeze in the 7-8mph range. Just a light front moving through with a few clouds. Nothing major. Not sure a drift anchor would help me much considering I'm on an inland lake, and not in an active current waterway. If there is a current it's usually overridden by even a light breeze.
The bridle wiil not remove all swing. There should be a fixed ring/loop in the bridle at the mid point between the cleat mounting point. It will not stop it all because as soon as the wind catches the sides of the boat it will get pushed the other way. The danik hook/anchor line would clip to that ring/loop.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bridle wiil not remove all swing. There should be a fixed ring/loop in the bridle at the mid point between the cleat mounting point. It will not stop it all because as soon as the wind catches the sides of the boat it will get pushed the other way. The danik hook would clip to that ring/loop.
Gotcha, sounds like I didn't have the setup quite right. I'll try again. Think one could rig up a test setup with a couple climbing carabiners and some docklines?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sucks...How was the shackle pin locked?
It's my fault. I never really locked the shackle pin. Just tightened it up 6 years ago and expected it to stay... lol! Not an effective strategy.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you need a longer anchor rode do you just tie another line onto the end or is it common to just get a longer rope?

I have a 100’ rope now that often isn’t long enough as the man made lakes here can be very deep close to shore. Should I just buy a 200’+ nylon one and keep the old one as a spare? Any downside to a rope that long? I don’t need that length every time but it’s not uncommon for us to need to temporarily anchor in 80ft depth.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you need a longer anchor rode do you just tie another line onto the end or is it common to just get a longer rope?

I have a 100’ rope now that often isn’t long enough as the man made lakes here can be very deep close to shore. Should I just buy a 200’+ nylon one and keep the old one as a spare? Any downside to a rope that long? I don’t need that length every time but it’s not uncommon for us to need to temporarily anchor in 80ft depth.
This always goes back to “use whatcha got”. If you need to tie some together, go ahead and just make sure they’re good knots otherwise you’ll be buying another anchor. May not be the “proper” thing to do but it’ll work.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This always goes back to “use whatcha got”. If you need to tie some together, go ahead and just make sure they’re good knots otherwise you’ll be buying another anchor. May not be the “proper” thing to do but it’ll work.

Just tie two bowlines knots when you extend your rode with another rode.. be sure to leave the tails a touch long, and you Weill be able to get the two ropes separated quickly when you pull the rode in.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are using stranded line you can splice it together with some YouTube help.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just tie two bowlines knots when you extend your rode with another rode.. be sure to leave the tails a touch long, and you Weill be able to get the two ropes separated quickly when you pull the rode in.
Somewhat worried about a knot catching an underwater tree or rock but probably not 100’ from the anchor.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I were concerned, I would probably just buy the 200' rode, rather than trying to cobble something together and risk losing my anchor. Then I would keep the 100' as the backup. Downside, of course, is that then you usually have 100' or so of extra rode to lug around, untangle, etc. Personally, I think I could handle that downside to be able to anchor where I wanted safely and without anchor risk.

My 2 cents.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Be careful, some knots are better than others for tying two lines together. I would tie a double sheet bend or a fisherman knot depending on the conditions you are in, if I had to. They will not chaffe one another like two bowlines tied together.

or

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Existing line is braided poly.
Braided poly floats. You want to use a 3-strand nylon line that will sink for anchor duty. A braided poly line floating on the surface is dangerous for swimmers as well as sucking it up into the pump and putting a pause in your day out on the water.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Braided poly floats. You want to use a 3-strand nylon line that will sink for anchor duty. A braided poly line floating on the surface is dangerous for swimmers as well as sucking it up into the pump and putting a pause in your day out on the water.
Good point. I forgot I was going to replace it anyway among the list of more fun mods bouncing around my head.
Just ordered the nylon one.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be careful, some knots are better than others for tying two lines together. I would tie a double sheet bend or a fisherman knot depending on the conditions you are in, if I had to. They will not chaffe one another like two bowlines tied together.

or

Luckily I’m an Eagle Scout with vast knot tying training…so I’ll only need to watch these videos two or three times instead of five or six to refresh my aging memory :confused:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The most common issue I see people have with almost any anchor is the amount of chain leader installed and rode put out. I'll see someone pull up to the sandbar and drop their fluke anchor with no chain straight down and tie it off to a cleat and wonder why it doesn't hold them when the waves kick up and the hear them complain that that style of anchor is junk.
This little $18 anchor fits nicely in the anchor locker, holds my 23' boat with no issues in the Mississippi River and everywhere else we boat. I upgraded to a larger, longer chain to assist with the holding power of an upcoming trip. In all the chain weighs 10lbs and the anchor itself only weighs 5lbs.
View attachment 154163

So a bit of an update… before my Lake Powell trip I bought the 9# version of the slip fluke anchor and 21‘ of 3/8” gal chain. The 21’ of chain was recommended by West Marine as a rule of thumb, chain part of rode is the length of your boat. I knew I was going to NEED a good anchor system at Lake Powell, and I’d have my 5# fluke slip anchor for the beach anchor. I had also bought a pair of those screw type beach anchors which, while helpful were basically useless in the windiest conditions. Next time I will just have two 5# fluke anchors for the beach anchors.

The 3/8” chain is roughly 38# of chain, which I found out was far too much, and the galvanized chain marks the gel coat. After returning home I replaced the 3/8” gal chain with 21” of 5/16” stainless which is about half the weight.

The first time I went to set the 3/8” chain and 9# fluke anchor, I had both my arms in the anchor locker picking up this too heavy set up when my feet slipped out from under me causing my body to slam down onto the anchor locker lid, raking my right arm which caused that area of my arm to leak circulatory fluid prodigiously, and my left index finger was in between the lid and the box, how it did not get broken amazes me still as I had to open the lid to extract my finger. Once the main anchor was set I tied to fenders to the rode and would just leave it floating until I returned each day and I’d retrieve it with the boat hook I bought for this trip. The boat hook was mainly intended to hold the boat off of the canyon walls-which it did. The 5# fluke slip anchor worked perfectly for the stern. However, this was a total beawwtch to retrieve and keep the chain off of the rub rail and gel coat.

The second location we anchored at was not back in a canyon and protected, it was off of the main channel and pretty exposed. This is where the sh*t show ensued when a series of Thunderstorms came through with 40-50 mph wind gusts came. I set my boats two anchors via a Med Tie set up, bow pointing off shore, with my 5# fluke in the sand, and I had to double up on the screw in type of anchors. The houseboat showed up a couple of hours later, bow into the shore with two anchors off the bow on each corner, and two stern anchors set out at about 30* on the shore. All are giant fluke anchors. When the winds kicked up a couple of the house boat anchors started to pull loose, primary because those, not me, that dug the holes for them did not cut a small trench for the arm to lay in so the anchors were just pulling up and over on themselves. So it was kinda all hands to re do the anchor holes and get the lines brought up taught which was a challenge to say the least. I dug into my mental tool box and used some rigging techniques I had learned years ago doing line work. Using one of my long dock lines, I tied a monkey fist onto the anchor line, then a a bowline in the bite just beyond the monkey fist, ran the dock line back and around one of the 4” aluminum posts on the houseboat, then back to the bowline in the bite to double the mechanical advantage. As the house boat would swing back I was able to get a couple of hundred pounds of pull on the anchor line while my friend tied the now slack end of the anchor line onto the cleat of the houseboat. We repeated these steps on all four anchor lines and the houseboat barely moved after that. These steps were to be tested more forcefully at 0200hrs in the morning when a much more energetic wind storm came through. The house boat held fast, but the wind carried the red sand into my boat and onto the house boat, the wind also started throwing the plastic furniture on the deck of the houseboat around hitting some of my friends sleeping outside on the deck.

So when the first storm happened and the sh*t show was in progress, at one point I looked over and the stern of my boat was hitting the sand.. not good but couldn’t do anything about that while trying to keep the houseboat secure. When we had time, I had my friend help me go and reset my main anchor. Here is what I had done wrong, I let the anchor down too fast and I imagine the chain kind of piled up on the anchor. I thought I had set this anchor well but obviously did not. When my friend helped me, we pulled the anchor back up and went a bit further out from the shore, he got the anchor pretty close to the bottom and had me back up very slowly. He let the anchor down slowly so he could feel the anchor touch bottom, and then slowly let out the rode so that the chain laid out on the bottom. We continued backing up for a long ways before he tied off the rode and we backed down on the anchor and this time it held fast. When the stronger wind storm rolled in at 0200hrs and pandemonium was taking place on the house boat, my boat was simply riding out the wind storm with aplomb.

I’m glad I had got the heavier anchor and replaced the pinner piece of chain that came with my small anchor for the over kill 3/8” chain. Had I not done that I would have had to been out all night under power riding out the wind storm.

Sorry for the long winded post,, but thought I would share my learning experience with the group for others to learn from .

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So a bit of an update… before my Lake Powell trip I bought the 9# version of the slip fluke anchor and 21‘ of 3/8” gal chain. The 21’ of chain was recommended by West Marine as a rule of thumb, chain part of rode is the length of your boat. I knew I was going to NEED a good anchor system at Lake Powell, and I’d have my 5# fluke slip anchor for the beach anchor. I had also bought a pair of those screw type beach anchors which, while helpful were basically useless in the windiest conditions. Next time I will just have two 5# fluke anchors for the beach anchors.

The 3/8” chain is roughly 38# of chain, which I found out was far too much, and the galvanized chain marks the gel coat. After returning home I replaced the 3/8” gal chain with 21” of 5/16” stainless which is about half the weight.

The first time I went to set the 3/8” chain and 9# fluke anchor, I had both my arms in the anchor locker picking up this too heavy set up when my feet slipped out from under me causing my body to slam down onto the anchor locker lid, raking my right arm which caused that area of my arm to leak circulatory fluid prodigiously, and my left index finger was in between the lid and the box, how it did not get broken amazes me still as I had to open the lid to extract my finger. Once the main anchor was set I tied to fenders to the rode and would just leave it floating until I returned each day and I’d retrieve it with the boat hook I bought for this trip. The boat hook was mainly intended to hold the boat off of the canyon walls-which it did. The 5# fluke slip anchor worked perfectly for the stern. However, this was a total beawwtch to retrieve and keep the chain off of the rub rail and gel coat.

The second location we anchored at was not back in a canyon and protected, it was off of the main channel and pretty exposed. This is where the sh*t show ensued when a series of Thunderstorms came through with 40-50 mph wind gusts came. I set my boats two anchors via a Med Tie set up, bow pointing off shore, with my 5# fluke in the sand, and I had to double up on the screw in type of anchors. The houseboat showed up a couple of hours later, bow into the shore with two anchors off the bow on each corner, and two stern anchors set out at about 30* on the shore. All are giant fluke anchors. When the winds kicked up a couple of the house boat anchors started to pull loose, primary because those, not me, that dug the holes for them did not cut a small trench for the arm to lay in so the anchors were just pulling up and over on themselves. So it was kinda all hands to re do the anchor holes and get the lines brought up taught which was a challenge to say the least. I dug into my mental tool box and used some rigging techniques I had learned years ago doing line work. Using one of my long dock lines, I tied a monkey fist onto the anchor line, then a a bowline in the bite just beyond the monkey fist, ran the dock line back and around one of the 4” aluminum posts on the houseboat, then back to the bowline in the bite to double the mechanical advantage. As the house boat would swing back I was able to get a couple of hundred pounds of pull on the anchor line while my friend tied the now slack end of the anchor line onto the cleat of the houseboat. We repeated these steps on all four anchor lines and the houseboat barely moved after that. These steps were to be tested more forcefully at 0200hrs in the morning when a much more energetic wind storm came through. The house boat held fast, but the wind carried the red sand into my boat and onto the house boat, the wind also started throwing the plastic furniture on the deck of the houseboat around hitting some of my friends sleeping outside on the deck.

So when the first storm happened and the sh*t show was in progress, at one point I looked over and the stern of my boat was hitting the sand.. not good but couldn’t do anything about that while trying to keep the houseboat secure. When we had time, I had my friend help me go and reset my main anchor. Here is what I had done wrong, I let the anchor down too fast and I imagine the chain kind of piled up on the anchor. I thought I had set this anchor well but obviously did not. When my friend helped me, we pulled the anchor back up and went a bit further out from the shore, he got the anchor pretty close to the bottom and had me back up very slowly. He let the anchor down slowly so he could feel the anchor touch bottom, and then slowly let out the rode so that the chain laid out on the bottom. We continued backing up for a long ways before he tied off the rode and we backed down on the anchor and this time it held fast. When the stronger wind storm rolled in at 0200hrs and pandemonium was taking place on the house boat, my boat was simply riding out the wind storm with aplomb.

I’m glad I had got the heavier anchor and replaced the pinner piece of chain that came with my small anchor for the over kill 3/8” chain. Had I not done that I would have had to been out all night under power riding out the wind storm.

Sorry for the long winded post,, but thought I would share my learning experience with the group for others to learn from .
How about using a anchor buddy (bungee) off the bow? Suppose to help in rough conditions. Sounds like you got a great education in anchoring. Well done !

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How about using a anchor buddy (bungee) off the bow? Suppose to help in rough conditions. Sounds like you got a great education in anchoring. Well done !
Thanks @RobbieO !

I suppose one could tie a couple of bowline in the bite knots in the rode and then put a bungee between them to give a bit of shock absorption.. however with 150’ of yacht braid type anchor rode there is quite a bit of bungee action.

Yes I did! As my friend likes to say, Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want lol!

I feel pretty confident now that I could anchor up somewhere and ride out a pretty good storm. I have my little 5# fluke anchor to provide some added hold as well if needed.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have used an anchor buddy but you still have to tie your rode onto it to get the length. It just lets your boat move with the waves and wake of other boats instead of jerking the boat just using rope.