• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 Yamaha 255xd Throttle 5000rmp max

Maui199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have a brand new 2023 Yamaha 255xd that seems to have a throttle problem.

Bringing it back to harbor today cruising along at about 30 mph when the boat nosed over and seemed to have lost power.

The engines didn't stop as far as I know but the RPMs dropped way off so I throttle down until I knew what was going on or tried to investigate it anyway.

The only thing that was weird is my son said the connect screen went black really quick and when I looked down at it the blower timer was on which you usually only happens when you power up the boat.

That said, when I throttled back up to head to the harbor, I noticed that the RPMs on the engines were limited to 5000. I could bury the throttle all the way forward and it was still limited to 5000 RPMs

Called my dealership and the technician said he had not heard of this before and was going to reach out to Yamaha.

Wonder if anyone has had similar problems and what the cause might be?

Attachments

Maui199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Battery cables were all tight as I installed a NOCO after getting back to the dock.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The only thing that was weird is my son said the connect screen went black really quick and when I looked down at it the blower timer was on which you usually only happens when you power up the boat.
Sounds like a bad ground or power connection somewhere and the ECU's that control the engines threw a code limiting power. You might be able to clear the error code by power cycling the batteries and Connext system 5 times in a row.

How were the water conditions at the time, choppy?
You said it's "brand new" - how many hours are on it?
Have you had another weird electrical issues?
If so, have you gone over every power and ground connection? There's a ground bus bar near the batteries, are all the connections secure? Check the battery switches themselves to ensure all power connections are secure under the switches.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is also a positive bus bar as well another member had a similar situation and it was loose connections

Maui199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sounds like a bad ground or power connection somewhere and the ECU's that control the engines threw a code limiting power. You might be able to clear the error code by power cycling the batteries and Connext system 5 times in a row.

How were the water conditions at the time, choppy?
You said it's "brand new" - how many hours are on it?
Have you had another weird electrical issues?
If so, have you gone over every power and ground connection? There's a ground bus bar near the batteries, are all the connections secure? Check the battery switches themselves to ensure all power connections are secure under the switches.
Less than a foot so not real choppy but some. Seen way worse. Hours are just over 7 per engine. No other electrical issues to this point and no, I've not gone over all the connections other than the batteries which were good.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Less than a foot so not real choppy but some. Seen way worse. Hours are just over 7 per engine. No other electrical issues to this point and no, I've not gone over all the connections other than the batteries which were good.
It's probably just a poor plug connection somewhere. I'd take some time and go through all the plug connectors throughout the engine bay, battery area, and behind the helm. Check the modular plug that goes into the back of the Connext screen - perhaps it's just loose or wasn't fully seated. Little things like this can cause headaches, but they're easy to fix once found.

SIXEL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It's probably just a poor plug connection somewhere. I'd take some time and go through all the plug connectors throughout the engine bay, battery area, and behind the helm. Check the modular plug that goes into the back of the Connext screen - perhaps it's just loose or wasn't fully seated. Little things like this can cause headaches, but they're easy to fix once found.
I have same exact boat in same color and same exact thing happens to me except my screen doesn’t black out, just drop to neutral and it goes over 5. No rhyme or reason to it. I’d bring it up to Yamaha if they would fix the constant leaks and other issues I have been dealing with for a full year. 9 months of service so far. Never again Yamaha and Kevin Bruton.