• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

240/242 Head is it really usable for other than the kids?????

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok, I’m back in the boating market after a 20 year lay-off (kids sports too busy in summer/invested heavily into snowmobiling instead as the schedule to get away was better). Now the kids are grown and we have more summer time for boating, and all kids will be on their own financially come spring so I’ll have more $$$ too).

Big question is the 23’-25’ boats I’m looking at usually have a head (port a potty and some even offer pump-outs).

On the 240-242 can a normal sized guy even fit? I’m 6ft (wife is 5’2”).....now I am assuming these are more for “emergency use” anyway....but is it even realistic? I want the bigger boats for capacity (we may have 10-12 when all family can go for that 1-2 times a season) BUT a 212 may actually fit in my garage where a 250/252 will not.

BUT#2 I want to buy my second boat first, and I foresee a time in the next 5-10 years we will have grandkids and then the head will come in handy I’m sure.

Follow-up question......has anyone had a pump-out head installed in a Yamaha??? I’m also looking at Scarab and Chaparral jets, and both of those offer pump-out heads (with a front opening instead of The Yamaha side, which the front (step down) looks like an easier access than the Yamaha side door design??).

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have one in my boat and an average size adult can use it. I'm 6' and have sat in there doing wiring and other things and it's not the most comfortable but it is usable. Biggest problem my wife has is moving all of the stuff out of the compartment to use the head.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No porta potty on our Yamaha. Too much stuff in the locker to get one in there. If it is an emergency, we have a 4 gallon pail with a lid on it to use. Never used it for that purpose in 4 years. The bucket's normal "duty" is to hold the sponges and rags for cleaning the boat. On the Beneteau we have a Jabsco Marine head/toilet with a holding tank and pump out thru hull. Our "Y" valve has been removed and the discharge line has been removed and the thru hull glassed over per inland waters regulations. Even with a "real" pump out toilet, we still consider #2 an emergency only duty and remind people before leaving the Marina to use the real toilets just a few feet away from the boat.
Buy a boat that already has a Pump out head/holding tank installed. Costs/logistics of adding one later is prohibitive. It is amazing where one can fit if they deem it an emergency. If you think you will need one get a porta-poty, or just bring a 4-5 gallon pail and you have a luggable Loo. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/luggable-loo-seat-and-cover?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuAZQA3QYooyZ7NrR4qXczlKY7_SxM2C2ynMGX-OQbzCddkd1oTOEExoC1vgQAvD_BwE

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On adult nights on the Ohio River the ladies have used it. None of them came out raving about it being real comfortable, but it served its purpose. The other 99% of the time people just jump in and pee like God intended.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went to the dealer with all intentions of buying a 21' boat. The wife convinced me that boating with all daughters, all having to pee, or all suffering from their "lady days", that a 24 or 25 with any type of head is a necessity. I will justify the extra cost for the boat in savings in fuel with back and forth trips to the shore.. She also swears that her bladder tightens up in lake water and she cant pee.. I call BS, but thats an argument I wont win..

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
242x here and ours is used often By the women. I did a dry run 😬 and could use it if needed.
we started out with a porta potti that was 16” tall, then found out someone made one that’s only 12” tall. The 12 is the way to go. It’s more than enough and the extra 4” of headroom definitely helps.

Last edited:

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We used the porta potty in our 24'; not super comfy but still usable. We won't own a boat without at least a porta potty. We had a Four Winns deck boat that had a porta potty rigged with a hose and deck fitting for pump out; we were told that New Hampshire required that set-up to prevent folks from dumping the waste into the lake. I had to buy a 14 gallon manual pump out tank system that was expensive and inconvenient for use on my small lake. Eventually I figured out how to make the porta potty independent.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers I have a 21' and I bought a Porta Pottie, Thetford 135 I believe. $100. Admiral said her and the kids needed one. So we used it when it was cool out in May and a few times when someone couldn't get in the water and it worked out wonderfully. I don't always take it but it is in the truck and I ask during staging at ramp if they want me to bring it. It fits in the port side compartment and it is light. It can fit on top of the cooler or next to it. I pull it out when asked. Then I put it in the bow, have a screen that covers the window shield and drapes down. They use it then I put it back away. Doesn't leak, doesn't smell and you can flush. If you use in the bow, or the cockpit, there is plenty of room, plus it is nice to look at the scenery.

EDIT: It carries like a suitcase by the handle. I keep a bottle of the purple stuff for toilets and throw a couple capfuls in it. I typically don't keep water in it unless I know people are going to use then I put 1 gallon in or so. Clean is a breeze, it comes apart in half with both sides fully sealed. You take the lower half to the toilet open up the slide mechanism and pour it all into the toilet. Then I take both parts outside and hose them off quickly and put it away. Never spilled and the kids even don't mind emptying it.

Last edited:

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I considered that option as well. I was going to go with a porta-potty and some sort of folding screen like this

The wife said it would work, but not ideal.. Which in "wife talk" means she wants a close-able door.. She just kept talking about all the extra room, and so on, and so on.. Champagne taste on my beer pocketbook..

Honestly though, your idea would work for her if it comes down to a 21' boat or no boat at all.. As always, it comes down to price of boat, new, used, right color, right deal, etc.. I do appreciate the support though. If my wife finds and calls you, you don't know me. lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20k ish for a head compartment? If that is the only deciding factor. That is like 4 awesome vacations and a boat :) Or a ton of mods Only reason we are contemplating upgrading to a 25 is for the Great Lakes. But until they are tested and there is a significant handling increase, we will just ride out the 21' footer we have which does fine on the open water for the most part. Also, as far as room in the boat storage, in my boat there is more than enough and I pack a lot of stuff and then some.

As an aside, I have been in a very small head compartment on a heavy chop lake and it was not fun, at least in the bow or the cockpit you have room to sway :)