• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 stereo upgrade coming soon!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mike hauser it's really subjective. I mean the 7.7's will probably have more bass due to the size, but it's hard for me to say how much better they sound. I suggest reaching out to Odin at @Earmark Marine. He can explain the differences between the speakers, and tell you what type of performance you should expect out of the two. All I know is you won't be disappointed either way. The 6.5's sound great too. It looks like the 7.7's are roughly $70 more per pair over the 6.5's. So you're looking at about an additional $300 to go with 7.7's. According to JL's web site they claim 20% more sound. If you are already spending several $k on speakers and amps, what's another $300 haha?

Mike hauser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks I sent him a message. I really want to order them up this week and get into it this weekend!

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 everything is looking good....

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@MattFX4 everything is looking good....
Thanks. Had to send the m800 amp back yesterday though. Pretty much determined there is something wrong with it since the actual amp itself is making a noise. Hope to have new one back next week, and install the WS 420. Will take more pics when done.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 ....I just posted some pics up of my stereo upgrade....check it out ...let me know your thoughts

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Part 2 of my stereo upgrade is on it's way. This is a great time to buy with all the specials and discounts. I took advantage of Earmark's 25% off sale. Sneak peek of what's to come....

11-29-2016 9-52-41 AM.png

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dont want to hijack the post with spam, but I have basically brand new or only 2 hours used WS SD6 amp I am selling for $775 OBO, and brand new JL Audio 10" V3 sub plus marine box for $250 OBO. Can't find better pricing on both of these anywhere. :)

Ok back to the boat upgrade again.

Firehouse100

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The thread should be changed to the jl audio upgrade lol!!! I think if Yamaha would have stepped up and put in the mm series or The um series it would have made a world of difference. Unless I'm wrong the RMS rating is higher on both of the polks than the LJ's. As someone on the board said earlier it seems to be preference as long as it sounds good to you. Crank it up!!!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The thread should be changed to the jl audio upgrade lol!!! I think if Yamaha would have stepped up and put in the mm series or The um series it would have made a world of difference. Unless I'm wrong the RMS rating is higher on both of the polks than the LJ's. As someone on the board said earlier it seems to be preference as long as it sounds good to you. Crank it up!!!
Ha well this round of upgrades is all Wetsounds. You are probably right, but the stock db651's didn't sound that bad. They just didn't have enough power pushing them. Not bashing Polk Audio at all, but I think JL and Wetsounds are in a league of their own. Not sure about RMS or wattage, but the sound and quality is second to none. Especially the amps. I'm with you though, crank it up and enjoy!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with you both. JL and WS are superior. Now when it comes to amps, JL is the winner especially with their HD amps. Those are stable at almost any ohm you desire so it gives you more options plus they run cooler than WS Amps. WS is just no there yet with amps but hopefully soon. Their are rated at 14.4v and I don't think anyone will get that in a marine application, except for a few waking boarding boats out there when they are on the move.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
If you tell me what an unregulated amplifier delivers with an unrealistic 14.4V supply, I can tell you within reason what it will deliver with a more realistic 12.5V supply.
I am a big fan of JL Audio HD amplifiers. They will deliver their full rated power from below an 11 volt supply to over a 14 volt supply. This isn't designed for the sole purpose of 'power' but more for the sound quality attributes. However, if you plan on running your supply down to 11 volts, this is a huge mistake for several reasons.
I especially like the front ends of the JL Audio XD/M/HD/MHD amplifiers. Excellent crossover filters and these allow for a more precise tune.
Between JL Audio and Wetsounds amplifiers? I'm going to base that purely on the individual system. Each has its applicational advantage.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@David I agree except WS has no application advantage over JL amps at this time. I'm selling all my WS amps because of this. I have a brand new SD 6 and 4 for sale that can't touch a HD amp from JL. WS amp overheats way quicker than what a JL would. Just my experience. I love WS and always will support them but their amps are just inferior to JL at this time in all aspects. Tower Speakers, NO ONE can touch WS hands down.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A Wetsounds SD4 or SD6 going into thermal? Now that would be an execution problem, unless you had a rare defect.

For anyone in the market for a new top-of-the-line amplifier, I would check in with Odin at Earmark Marine. Odin is an authorized on-line dealer for both Wetsounds and JL Audio, and he knows these two products in depth. I know he recommends both depending on the individual system and application.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What JL amp would you recommend to run two Rev 10's? I went with SYN-DX4, but maybe I should of opted for a JL amp?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes sir. I have seen some great knowledge out of Odin at Earmark on other boat forums. He def knows his stuff. Sorry @David, I didn't mean to sound I'm bashing the WS amps. My last boat used WS amps only and I would argue other wise at that time. Out here the lake crew that has insane systems all have experienced with most good amps out there and they all moved away from WS amps for a reason. For an average user and system setup I def agree with you. WS all the way for all equipment really. But for high end, power hungry systems, JL really is the way for us. Every WS amp I've seen in high dollar setups overheat and with less run time. I haven't experienced that with JL at the moment. If I was not enlightened about JL amps last year when I was in the process of selling my boat and upgrading to the AR, I would be on this forum debating with you all day about WS amps. I was not a believer in mix and matching brands and WS was my brand of choice until I saw the real life performance with both Amp Brands.

But you will never catch me mouth mouthing WS. I'm actually waiting for them to put a product out that matches the spec sheet of the JL so I can run WS all the way. I don't like specs or raw numbers but their performance in amps is just not doable for my application in their amps. I don't think any forum should be about one brand as I think the beauty of America is we have competition which makes the best in all of us. So Tim at WS knows his fans like me want him to step his game up in amps to match JL and in terms I think WS will own the Water/boat world for a while as no one seems to be able to match their speakers performance this time.

The problem I had with the SD6 is too much can be done with it so it creates problems and overheats. You can hypothetically run all your tower speakers and a sub on a SD6 but at the expense of what? Alot of times overheating and power consumption especially in the hot Oklahoma sun. It gets so hot down here even mine JL have over heated for little bit before but just not as much as the WS has and I have 5 fans running on my amps. One reason I switched to JL so where everything has it's own amp voltage supply. Less stress for the amp. Towers all on their own amps, subs on their own amps. SD6 and SD4 which I have utilized, most people bridge them and run multiple equipment on them which at times creates problems.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MattFX4 My friend who has that heavy duty system is running a 750 JL HD to power them. Giving each speaker 375 watts but be careful and tune carefully as you don't want to over heat your mid-bass drivers. The one trick we use around here is to set your high crossovers high on amps to take the deep bass out so speakers don't work so hard. Then different settings on equalizer to compensate after tuning with equalizer at neutral setting. This will give you some head room and amp not work so hard. PM me if you want more info. I really don't like posting setup procedures as they can be confusing and I don't want to take any responsibility for any damage to equipment hahaha. Most can get a way with utilizing 200-300 watts to each other very safely. But for ones who want more output and really drive those HCLD to their fullest can use more watts up to 400 to each speaker but at that range you are will need to be very careful. Really recommend a professional to handle that with that much power. That's where the debates can start in what you need to do to get it a safe playing level.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At 4 ohms for the Rev10s Syn-Dx4 would give you 200 watts to each speaker where the JL 750 is giving you 375 watts to each speaker. But again that voltage power is not something the average user should be messing with IMO.

There is a reason WS did that. They know their speakers can handle way more than advertise but most of us would abuse that if we knew and that could create problems down the line for installers and WS as too many equipment would be getting damaged.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
400 x 2 @ 4 ohms

IMG_4561.PNG

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry my mistake yes at Mono 4 ohms 400 per speaker. I don't know why I was looking at the 200 x 4 lol.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you feel you getting full output from them? And also what is your playtime like, does it overheat? Just curious to keep my knowledge up just in case for later down the line. I've always had a either Pro485s or Rev410s and never owned any of the single horn speakers.