• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X Long-Term Storage questions

dalcini

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would appreciate any comments advice on my LTS (long-term storage) checklist below.
I also have questions that I couldn't find definitive answers for:

QUESTIONS:
  1. I've seen some discussion questioning whether removing the air box is necessary to fog the 1.8HO engine. Do some people just disconnect the breather hose and fog through that port? (thanks to @Leojay for the excellent videos by the way)
  2. It looks like most recommend changing the oil before storage - would it not be better to give the motors fresh oil in spring before running? Or is the idea to get the impurities out of the engine before it sits in the off-season? (...hmmm, may have just answered my own question.)
  3. What (if anything) do I need to do to prepare my ballast bags and ballast system for freezing temps? Antifreeze flush?
  4. Has anyone ever removed the oem SIDE ballast bags from a 242X? The center bag was easy to remove, so I'll probably keep that in my garage - but I have no idea how one might get the side bags out (for maintenance/repair/cleaning, etc.)
LTS CHECKLIST:
  1. Add 50oz (1oz per gallon) of Fuel Med RX to tank (or Marine Stabil stabilizer)
  2. Fill tank to mix it in. (this introduces stabil into the engines during fogging in later step. Many use stabilizer all year)
  3. Fill fuel tank
  4. Find/Download Yamaha tech exchange bulletin on engine fogging. (see Captain Leon's video.)
  5. Fog for 5 sec through air intakes while running:
  6. Prepare by connecting water to flush port but don't turn it on
  7. Start Engine then immediately start water
  8. Spray fogging oil into intake for 3-5 seconds
  9. Stop Water, half throttle blip 3 secs then stop.
  10. Pull plugs & fog for 5 secs in each hole
  11. Pull kill cord, towel on head & crank for 1/2 seconds
  12. Put anti-seize on spark plugs
  13. Replace plugs & torque to 18.4 ft-lb.
  14. Open fuel tank hatch - check for issues and clean it up.
  15. Drain or antifreeze ballast system???
  16. (OM Pg.172) Grease steering & reverse cables
  17. Lube cleanout covers with silicon seal or beeswax
  18. Leave cleanout covers out (somehow)
  19. Remove batteries (store in garage on tender)
  20. Remove tower speakers (store at home)
  21. Put trailer on blocks to remove weight from tires?

Edit: added #19 & 20

Last edited:
I would appreciate any comments advice on my LTS (long-term storage) checklist below.
I also have questions that I couldn't find definitive answers for:

QUESTIONS:
  1. I've seen some discussion questioning whether removing the air box is necessary to fog the 1.8HO engine. Do some people just disconnect the breather hose and fog through that port? (thanks to @Leojay for the excellent videos by the way) I only fog through the spark plug holes
  2. It looks like most recommend changing the oil before storage - would it not be better to give the motors fresh oil in spring before running? Or is the idea to get the impurities out of the engine before it sits in the off-season? (...hmmm, may have just answered my own question.) I change mine in the fall before winter storage.
  3. What (if anything) do I need to do to prepare my ballast bags and ballast system for freezing temps? Antifreeze flush? no ballast on my boat.
  4. Has anyone ever removed the oem SIDE ballast bags from a 242X? The center bag was easy to remove, so I'll probably keep that in my garage - but I have no idea how one might get the side bags out (for maintenance/repair/cleaning, etc.)
LTS CHECKLIST:
  1. Add 50oz (1oz per gallon) of Fuel Med RX to tank (or Marine Stabil stabilizer)-I do this as well before the last few outings of the year and make sure tank is full before putting it away for good.
  2. Fill tank to mix it in. (this introduces stabil into the engines during fogging in later step. Many use stabilizer all year)
  3. Fill fuel tank
  4. Find/Download Yamaha tech exchange bulletin on engine fogging. (see Captain Leon's video.)
  5. Fog for 5 sec through air intakes while running:
  6. Prepare by connecting water to flush port but don't turn it on
  7. Start Engine then immediately start water
  8. Spray fogging oil into intake for 3-5 seconds
  9. Stop Water, half throttle blip 3 secs then stop.
  10. Pull plugs & fog for 5 secs in each hole- I only do this for fogging - I do not do steps 4 through 9. in my view, you need to blurp the engines to clear the water and this would burn off all that fogging oil you just put in.
  11. Pull kill cord, towel on head & crank for 1/2 seconds
  12. Put anti-seize on spark plugs- I do not use anti-seize. change them in the Spring only after you burned off the fogging oil.
  13. Replace plugs & torque to 18.4 ft-lb.
  14. Open fuel tank hatch - check for issues and clean it up.- probably good to do but I do not do this.
  15. Drain or antifreeze ballast system???
  16. (OM Pg.172) Grease steering & reverse cables- regularly grease/toilet ring wax these throughout the season
  17. Lube cleanout covers with silicon seal or beeswax- I do this after every few outings
  18. Leave cleanout covers out (somehow)- I just lay them upside down in the cleanout tubes.
  19. Put trailer on blocks to remove weight from tires? probably good but I do not do this.
Not saying this is the right way, but it's what I do.

Back