• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD on Wavy Boats

You have to be able to trim your bow up in water like that. He needed more throttle, and or trim tabs.

Link to the Yamaha start time. Is this one of us? Didn’t fair so well…

Oh gosh. I saw this earlier on Instagram and my first thought was "wonder if this guy is on Jetboaters?"

You have to be able to trim your bow up in water like that. He needed more throttle, and or trim tabs.
Trim tabs only lower the bow and/or help balance the boat, they don't do anything to raise the bow. And jet boats don't have trim controls, so they can't "trim up", just bow up from the lifting strakes. In rough waves on a jetboat you have passengers move toward the rear (or just out of the bow) and bow up like you're making a surf wake around 12mph and plow through.

Of course this might not help in places like Haulover Inlet when it's rough as the waves there are not normal with consistent periods or frequency - there's massive in/out tidal flow from the tide changing combing with waves from the ocean through a narrow inlet. These can cause 2x, 3x, 4x the wave amplitude by constructive interference or superposition causing irregular large waves mixed into the middle of smaller waves. Haulover Inlet can be a violent place to learn how to pilot a boat.

I think the Coast Guard should monitor it for idiots and stop them for inspections. A whole day's worth of tickets issued in an hour.
:D

Trim tabs only lower the bow and/or help balance the boat, they don't do anything to raise the bow. And jet boats don't have trim controls, so they can't "trim up", just bow up from the lifting strakes. In rough waves on a jetboat you have passengers move toward the rear (or just out of the bow) and bow up like you're making a surf wake around 12mph and plow through.

Of course this might not help in places like Haulover Inlet when it's rough as the waves there are not normal with consistent periods or frequency - there's massive in/out tidal flow from the tide changing combing with waves from the ocean through a narrow inlet. These can cause 2x, 3x, 4x the wave amplitude by constructive interference or superposition causing irregular large waves mixed into the middle of smaller waves. Haulover Inlet can be a violent place to learn how to pilot a boat.

I think the Coast Guard should monitor it for idiots and stop them for inspections. A whole day's worth of tickets issued in an hour.
Agree trim tabs push the bow down but a lot of people on here swear by them in rough water, meaning that getting the bow down helps in the rough stuff. Does lifting the bow up actually help too?

Agree trim tabs push the bow down but a lot of people on here swear by them in rough water, meaning that getting the bow down helps in the rough stuff. Does lifting the bow up actually help too?
Depends how rough. Gale force did a good video on this topic.

Does lifting the bow up actually help too?
Definitely, in windy conditions with 3-4' chop with short frequency she plows through the waves. Being on a big bay or lake with longer waves it's not as easy, but it helps. We try not to be out in conditions like that, but a few times we've been caught floating and the wind changes in minutes and starts to pick up. The big lakes around here affects our weather dramatically, going from light breeze out of the east, to 15kt westerlies in minutes. Pop up thunderstorms in summer heat come out of nowhere too. I check the marine forecast before we go out every time.

Good point on the trim tabs. I'm contemplating buying a 250, was actually at the Miami boat show this past weekend and drove a 252. It was terribly rough that day so the test drive was not the best given I will not likely be on water that rough. I did notice "significant" bow rise with this boat, vs my boat with Smart Tabs on it. We did have 6 people in the stern however, but that would be a typical load for us anyway. I can see wanting trim tabs to lift the stern, to be able to plane at lower speeds. Plus be able to balance the load as needed. It does seem that conditions like Haul Over are such that a jet boat cannot overcome, due to the inability to trim the bow up. The only solution is as you suggested, 12 mph would keep the bow high as it won't be on plane.

Why do people think it's a good idea to standup when it's this rough?

Why do people think it's a good idea to standup when it's this rough?

Your legs can flex to save your back.

Also easier to stay in control and where you want to be. It’s a lot easier to get bucked off a seat than off your feet.

That guy is going about 1/2 the speed he needed to. He didn’t do that bad though.. I would have put the passengers in the rear seats to they’d have the smoothest ride.

He also needs to figure out why only one of his pilot outlets is working as well. The one that was working looked as if the boat was almost at idle.

I’ve posted this one before.. a tale of two FSH at haul over, the first one at 35 seconds is a big FAIL, the second at 3:14 is a win. The second / winner boat has more people in it and does way better he has most of the people around the helm centering the weight (I’d have had big boy up front move to the port rear seat), and he kept his speed up, guessing he was going around 15-18 mph, just this side of the hump.

He did not take on much water or have any huge impacts. Looks like a win to me.

Huh. I don't think he did that bad

Although I agree with all of the tips and advice here, we also have to remember when watching these videos that sometimes luck (or bad luck) plays a big part too. Sometimes you will see a 16ft get through untouched and a 35ft CC gets stuffed 30s later even though they appear to do everything right. A lot of this is skill, but the wave height, space, wind, current, and other factors mean each time will be a little different. That said, put everyone aft and just be smart, watch the boats coming in and out - if you’re in a 19ft and the only boats you see are 30ft+ - turn around! You might have a ton of skill, but if the luck factor is not on your side on this pass - you may regret it.

P.S. Remember if you do get stuffed, don’t panic! If you gun it with the bow 4 inches above the water line, you are only going to make it worse. Instead let the bilge do its work and only maneuver super slow to stay away from the rocks. Let the bilge do its job and once you have drained most of the water to lift the boat high enough, you can try moving the rest of the way. Our instinct is too give it power to “push” the water back towards the scupper and out and “try” to lift the bow, but that will only work in calm water. If you are still in rough conditions you are going to make it worse, because you will go over the first wave and the bow will come crashing down and stuff again. Those videos all they had to do was pause. The bilge is working- so let it work.

Back