• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

255 FSH Dakota lithium starting battery in use?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If anyone using Dakota dual purpose 1000 cca 135AH it would be great to hear your feedback. As a matching dual starting/house setup this seems ideal for a new boat (cost is not a concern). These 135AH batteries have a 150amp BMS cutoff, the stock boat charging stator I believe is 35AMPs output. I spoke to Yamaha they have never tested lithium batteries which is the only reason they do not recommend them. The Yamaha dealer/manager said it is a non-issue to use lithium. Would be good to know who out there is running Dakota starting batteries thanks so much.

I spoke with Yamaha at length about lithium batteries, the big problem they had with them was their outboards and their variable magnetic field generator / alternators which are similar to an automotive generator.

Yamaha is pretty tight lipped about the charging output from the 1.8L & TR-1 1.049L engines. For the TR-1 engines, from what have read in the past is 14A per engine which is roughly 200 Watts from the PMG ( permanent magnetic generator) type alternator. Keep in mind this is the total output and an appreciable amount goes to operating each engine. This type of system is always at full output (excess output is shunted to ground) since the magnetic field is fixed which lends itself to use with LiFePO4 batteries. If Yamaha is not even testing them they are falling behind the curve. I’m planning on installing another smart shunt on the house battery in the next couple of weeks so I should have a better idea how much charging power actually goes into the house battery.

I had quite the journey when I went to LiFePO4 batteries which you can read about here:

Lots of great input from fellow members in that thread !

Summary:
I contacted several LiFePO4 battery manufacturers and the only two that I could actually talk to were ReLion and Battle Born. Dakota lithium would talk to you if it was sales, but for tech support it was only via email and would take up to 48 hours to get a response. I also felt like Dakota lithium is, well, lying about where they are located and infer their batteries are made. Dakota lithium talks about themselves being located in Grand Rapids North Dakota, but I could never locate them there, the only location I could find for them was in Seattle WA. But a lot of folks are happy with them.

I ended up going with Battle Born which is located in Reno Nevada, and their batteries are completely manufactured in Reno Nevada, their tech support is fantastic and they also sell a wide variety of top shelf product associated with their batteries and those products are also supported by their staff. Every person you talk to at BB is a tech support person. For purchases like this $$$$ if I cannot talk to an actual person that’s a non starter for me. BB also has a great website with blogs, and all sorts of other info.

In the thread I linked above there is a video done by an electrical engineer who tests the BB batteries under controlled conditions and compares them to their various lead acid counter parts. The one area where the lead acid batteries outperform LiFePO4 batteries is in engine starting. It’s a long vid by todays short attention span theater standards but it is comprehensive. I went with an AGM start battery, and a 100Ah LiFePO4 house battery, in addition to the three 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries that make up my trolling motor battery.

I also highly recommend the Victron Energy IP 67 chargers, and the Victron Energy smart shunts. I was using MinnKota 10A chargers on the AGM setting to charge my batteries after a full day of use which would take 12-14 hours. With the Victron chargers my batteries are fully charged in 4 hours after an 80Ah discharge. Note, if you are not using a smart shunt you really don’t know what the state of charge is at any given point.

If you go with lithium batteries, the start, house, or both, you will have to modify your DVSR that came with your boats battery switches, this is an easy mod to make. Basically the resting voltage on LiFePO4 batteries (13.6) is higher than the close set point of the DVSR (13.2) so the switch will always be closed leaving your start and house batteries always in parallel, the purpose of the DVSR is to keep your start battery isolated from house loads. The DVSR opens when the voltage reaches 12.7 which is when a LiFePO4 battery is almost depleted. Keep in mind the DVSR was designed for use with lead acid batteries. So, you either have to hook it up on a manual switch like I did, or hook it to an ignition hot.

The LiFePO4 batteries’ performance over lead acid is stunning to say the least. If you have any questions post’em up!

Last edited:
I have the DL+ 12v 60Ah Dual Purpose 1000CCA Starter Battery Plus Deep Cycle Performance on the start side and 2 x Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery 12V 100Ah with Built-in BMS on the house side... NO Issues.. considered going to the MOSFET rectifier regulator after I had a new SCR rec reg fail but put a used one I had on been fine ever since. I use the boat nearly every day since I got the repower done the end of last June (22)

Saw this thread, went and checked the DL website..specifically the discharge rate.

DISCHARGE
135A max continuous discharge, 1000A max 2 second pulse, 900A max 5 sec pulse.

Back