• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

4" Drop too much on ball hitch?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a '17 GMC 2500 and I only use a 2" drop pulling my AR230 IMO 4" is too much of a drop for a 1500
it’s really individual between vehicles. You’ll need to play with it once you get it home. Or pick the boat up with whatever you have and stop in a Walmart parking lot on the way home and make whatever changes you need.

I had to use a 4” drop on my stock Tahoe with my SX210 (MFI trailer).

with my new Shorelandr, and my stock F250 I have to use a 2” rise. Haven’t hooked it to the Tahoe yet to see what the new boat needs

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a 21’ with the Shoreland’r, F150 stock I used a straight receiver (tri ball) and it sit pretty much level. By the time I loaded the truck with gear and people, it was right on. The 2” drop of my adjustable put the trailer downhill. Once I added about an inch from tire height and another 1 1/2“ in the rear with blocks, the 3” drop of my adjustable 4” receiver will probably be about right. Boat/trailer is in a warehouse hibernating right now so no measurements.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 DT with Off Road Group 1” lift. The receiver is 22” off the ground and I use a Curt 4” drop for a 2011 24’ Yamaha trailer, where the hitch is 18” off the ground when level.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1581880132430.gifThis may solve the issue of rolling back into the bumper - works with whatever hitch height you need

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You have a couple option”s -
1) Buy wheel chalks, total of 4 chalk”s
Back the trailer in, Set the chalks, put some forward pressure with idle forward, Set the e brake, toss it in park, Snug up the chalks on the back wheels, that trailer is now not going to move.

Second option is a drop hitch, I have a 2018 Ram 1500, 1” of lift in the rear and run a Weigh safe 4” drop with the turn over ball, my half ton will never need more than 4” of drop or rise so I bought the one that will put last the truck.“ I have it set one slot down from level, and the trailer has a “ Slight rake forward as the tongue weight isn’t bad on my 14 212x. measurements below with pictures.
the truck squats about and 1” or 2” due to the 1 inch lift in the rear. Hope this helps.
B4CF7D82-9D59-465E-BB3D-AA96D3BDEF0E.jpeg