• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

8 volt to tower light-help?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm normally good at this stuff but I think I brain farted here rushing things.
I wired up the tower light by using a T connector on the positive and negative on the "pole" light wires. The pole light works fine but the tower light won't. I want the availability of factory pole so I didn't just cut and splice. I don't want to just cut one wire and wire tower inline because then the pole light won't work. But now the pole light works fine and the wires going to tower (not in tower yet, just the wire leading to it) reads 8 volts.
What am I looking for here?

What are you reading at the pole light? Maybe the negative connection isn’t good?

What are you reading at the pole light? Maybe the negative connection isn’t good?
Will check that next. Also going to run wire straight to battery to make sure light works even though getting to the bottom of the 8 volts is probably the underlying issue

It sounds like you’ve wired it in series and are reading voltage after that first light

It sounds like you’ve wired it in series and are reading voltage after that first light
That's my initial thought, but I know that's what I was looking for in there. But now I'm wondering what I tied all my led cup holders into!

Well run a shooo fly wire and check voltages and operation like you intend and that will shed some light on things.

20240609_130300.jpg20240609_130224.jpg
I pulled the wiring out to its basics. See where I tie in the wiring to oem light? 12 volt reading currently (lol electrical joke)
But other end is still reading 8.6 volts. Dug out a lot of corrosion and now I am wondering how pinched it might be as it's fished through engine bay. Must not be enough to pop a fuse but is enough to lower voltage? Frustrating. Volts read without pole in at the moment as well. I hate electrical gremlins. It's gonna be a pinch or something stupid

Had camper battery on charger in garage so pulled that out and ran power straight to leads going up and into tower. No light. Reversed polarity to confirm as well (have had that with led stuff)so next up is pulling light off to see if light or wires. I guess worst case I am running the pole light but iirc the tower is required to have one working.

Well this is part of the problem! Took light off and tried pulling slack through and it wouldn't budge. Was pinched! I hate this tower design in regards to wiring. But speakers are getting fresh marine wire now too!20240609_153159.jpg

Gonna just run new wires from pole light as well. Might even look at changing how the speaker wires come back out of the tower because it's the same hole as the bolt for cross member and it's all pinch points. Such bad design on aerials part honestly. Bimini top is awesome and I would put it on any tower it would fit though.

Other than the smashed wires in the tower I found a very corroded bit where the t splices are onto original pole light. Redone all with tinned wire, heat shrinked etc and seems to be working! Didn't finish bolting tower back together because I plan on doing some speaker wiring and ran out of wire a bit. Hopefully nothing smashes anymore!
Glad I found actual issues but now I wonder if water has been dripping in from pole light base.

Back