• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

8in Speakers on AR190

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone out there installed 8in speakers in place of the factory 6.5's on an AR190 model? I know the 8in should be an easy fit in the bow but not sure about the 8in in the factory locations in the rear.
Considering the kicker KM8 with the RGB grills....(I'm a sucker for lighting) Amazon.com: Kicker KM8 8-INCH (200mm) Marine Coaxial Speakerswith 1" tweeters,LED Charcoal and White Grilles,4-OHM: Car Electronics

If these will fit, 4 of these and a 12" free air kicker sub Amazon.com: KICKER KMF122 12" Marine Subwoofer with LED White Grill 2 Ohm for Free Air Applications: Electronics

Other speaker brands I'm looking at/considering are: Infiniti, Memphis Audio, JBL Stadium

Undecided on amp, class D (considering rockwell for the price) and will put in a fusion head unit later to integrate with my Garmin GPS via Fusion Link.

Thoughts/Critiques/lessons learned?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Specs and reviews look great on that! Bookmarking those... maybe a 5.1
Yeah I watched a few AMP Dynos on the NVX and they did well above the listed watt. But Rockford and JL have better efficiency rating but the cost is a good bit more.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah I watched a few AMP Dynos on the NVX and they did well above the listed watt. But Rockford and JL have better efficiency rating but the cost is a good bit more.
There's a reason they cost more, and it's not just the name. Look at the specs. Listen to the sound output. You get what you pay for.

There are many amps capable of incredible power output for low prices, however it's usually through a simple IC design, not discrete outputs, so while technically they can pump out high numbers for brief periods, there is no longevity at high output - those weak IC's will overheat and die and you have a dead amp. And a replacement now costs more than buying a good amp up front. Look at full range output across all channels at 4&2 ohm loads and most of these inexpensive amps fail (most don't list 20-20k x ch). A good amp has a solid transformer and capacitor power supply for sustained output through all channels at rated impedence and wattage levels. The cheap amps don't publish these numbers because they're not capable of reproducing them, and they simply lack full range capability. If you have a decerning ear, you'll hear it right away. Same goes for speakers. A few extra bucks can really make a difference in sound quality.

If high dB output is all you want, it's easy and cheap to attain. If high output and sound quality is your goal, you need to walk away from these cheap components and buy quality gear.

YMMV

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed on the quality, I can certainly appreciate a fine set of JL's powered by a matching amp but not sure if I need that level of quality on the water when my motor is humming creating quite a bit of noise. That said, I'm really searching for that sweet spot in terms of price/sound.

So shifting back to the main question, anyone done 8in upgrades? Looking for pictures and setup info.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just replaced the 6.5” speakers on the swim deck of my 242 with 8” speakers. There will be some cutting involved if you go this route but as long as the surface is unobstructed front and rear and flat or nearly flat you should be fine.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
There's a reason they cost more, and it's not just the name. Look at the specs. Listen to the sound output. You get what you pay for.

There are many amps capable of incredible power output for low prices, however it's usually through a simple IC design, not discrete outputs, so while technically they can pump out high numbers for brief periods, there is no longevity at high output - those weak IC's will overheat and die and you have a dead amp. And a replacement now costs more than buying a good amp up front. Look at full range output across all channels at 4&2 ohm loads and most of these inexpensive amps fail (most don't list 20-20k x ch). A good amp has a solid transformer and capacitor power supply for sustained output through all channels at rated impedence and wattage levels. The cheap amps don't publish these numbers because they're not capable of reproducing them, and they simply lack full range capability. If you have a decerning ear, you'll hear it right away. Same goes for speakers. A few extra bucks can really make a difference in sound quality.

If high dB output is all you want, it's easy and cheap to attain. If high output and sound quality is your goal, you need to walk away from these cheap components and buy quality gear.

YMMV
We are talking good budget setups. Not $600 to $1300 for a 4ch amp.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are talking good budget setups. Not $600 to $1300 for a 4ch amp.
Yup I get that - JL has some nice lower budget amps too, like the MX280/4 or MX500/4 and MX300/1. They're marine rated and have excellent output but don't cost as much as their higher end amps as they skimp on the extra features and are minimalist designs for compact installs like motorcycles. They still cost more than a cheap amp, but not a lot (maybe $50-100), and they sound good with real wattage output numbers (JL under-rates their amps actually).

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Compatico Great call out, i had no idea those existed. Every search I made under JL Audio showed the classic JL white amps which as you know, run about double/triple the cost of what you listed. The decision keeps getting tougher. Did you guys have any experience with the speakers I mentioned? Specifically the kickers?

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Compatico Great call out, i had no idea those existed.
Yup I only know about them because of bike friends. As for the speakers, the choice depends on how much you enjoy music...you need to listen to decide if the cost is worth the sound for you.

Don't forget that if you appreciate good musical sound, you won't be ripping across the water all the time and will want to enjoy the sound while toodling or anchored. No?
Or you could just get these, the wife is happy, and keep it all to yourself:
🎧

:cigar:

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have the KM8s on my Ar190. For the money, you won't find better. I got 4 speakers for $360 a couple years ago on sale (about $400 now). Powered with a non-marine Orion 1000 amp that puts out 165 RMS (birth sheet was 178) x 4 @ 4ohms. They get really loud and very clear. Is JL better? Sure, but definitely tough to justify vs. the price of the Kickers.

Actually looking to pick up 2 more for pod speakers.

It's funny too. Everyone on the internet screams "JL, WETSOUNDS" yet I see 1 boat out of every 20 outfitted with JL or Wetsounds. Then about half of those boats can't run their stereo longer than 1-2 hours because they couldn't afford a 2nd dedicated house battery.

Last edited:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone out there installed 8in speakers in place of the factory 6.5's on an AR190 model? I know the 8in should be an easy fit in the bow but not sure about the 8in in the factory locations in the rear.
Considering the kicker KM8 with the RGB grills....(I'm a sucker for lighting) Amazon.com: Kicker KM8 8-INCH (200mm) Marine Coaxial Speakerswith 1" tweeters,LED Charcoal and White Grilles,4-OHM: Car Electronics

If these will fit, 4 of these and a 12" free air kicker sub Amazon.com: KICKER KMF122 12" Marine Subwoofer with LED White Grill 2 Ohm for Free Air Applications: Electronics

Other speaker brands I'm looking at/considering are: Infiniti, Memphis Audio, JBL Stadium

Undecided on amp, class D (considering rockwell for the price) and will put in a fusion head unit later to integrate with my Garmin GPS via Fusion Link.

Thoughts/Critiques/lessons learned?
Were you able to install the 8inch speakers? I am thinking of doing the same thing.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

YMMV
The NVX is great amp that uses literally the same internal as some of the big name brands. It's been proven for years.

Anyways I would do the Pepsi challenge all day on amps. 99.9% of people will not be able to hear a difference - given all variables are the same.... this is even more true on a boat.

jflamiat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have the KM8s on my Ar190. For the money, you won't find better. I got 4 speakers for $360 a couple years ago on sale (about $400 now). Powered with a non-marine Orion 1000 amp that puts out 165 RMS (birth sheet was 178) x 4 @ 4ohms. They get really loud and very clear. Is JL better? Sure, but definitely tough to justify vs. the price of the Kickers.

Actually looking to pick up 2 more for pod speakers.

It's funny too. Everyone on the internet screams "JL, WETSOUNDS" yet I see 1 boat out of every 20 outfitted with JL or Wetsounds. Then about half of those boats can't run their stereo longer than 1-2 hours because they couldn't afford a 2nd dedicated house battery.
Do you have pictures of the KM8s installed in the 4 stock speaker locations? Mainly want to make sure the depth and diameter are OK in the bow before I buy the KM8s and try to cut larger holes in the stock speaker locations. Thanks!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have pictures of the KM8s installed in the 4 stock speaker locations? Mainly want to make sure the depth and diameter are OK in the bow before I buy the KM8s and try to cut larger holes in the stock speaker locations. Thanks!
I have them for towers and love ‘em- puttting 2 more in now. Here’s the depth specs - looks like you will need 3.5 - 4” of clearance to mount them in bow.

If the wife would let me add to the upgrade I would do those for sure. Maybe next birthday or Christmas:)

Attachments

blackfx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have an SX192 with JL M770s in the bow and JL M880s in the back in the stock locations. The back is no problem, the M880s are large and have room to spare. The bow is close because of the angle but the KM8s should fit because they're almost the same as the M770s. This shows them along with a JL M10W5 sub.20211211_100415.jpg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jryan were you able to fit the 8” kicker speakers in your bow area?