• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The importance of being prepared cannot be over estimated, but what is the root cause? I have the same boat, have never flooded the fuel injected engine.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Joe Starbuck, I wrote about the "root cause" in this thread,

It was the rope, just enough friction when starting in the water to not start, causing the fuel to not burn plus worn plugs. After cutting the rope and fresh plugs (gaped too), no problems. I know what you mean though, these motors are very reliable and simple to maintain.

As a side note, what are the biggest seas you've taken your boat in? Me and my oldest (adult) Son took the boat out in the gulf prior to a storm with 25mph gusts and 5-6' seas and not from the same direction, interesting day, the boat will handle them between 15 and 19 mph fine all day long as we found out, but I will say that the Yamaha guys with the minny rudder (thrust vectors I think they are called) would have handled the rough conditions better, just an observation, especially with a following sea:).
I have not been out in 5-6 foot seas. I am in Cape Cod, so our 5 foot seas have a 2 to 3 second period and would not be comfortable or very dry on a 230. The deck does not self bale, it drains into the bilge! 2 footers on Nantucket Sound are enough for me!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would think from my 2 stroke days if you open the throttle all the way while cranking you would clear the fuel right up. Maybe 20-40 seconds total over a few sessions, but once the problem condition clears, it ought to start ? Something to try next time, glad you made it home.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Though I boat all year here in FL, for most, the season is starting again and boats are coming out of hibernation. I have a Challenger 230 and I took my adult kids on a trip exploring some islands in the Gulf near Tampa. The day was 84F, 68F water temp, light wind, clear sky, 1-2 foot waves, a beautiful day to boat. Before I go on, I will "out" myself for a moment of I should have known better. I have power boated, jet skied (stand-ups too) and sailed for 30 years, yep, being unprepared can still happen.

The problem was on the way back. I attempted to start my starboard motor and failed. I started my port motor just fine and attempted to start the SB motor again.... yep flooded. This is where not having my spark plug wrench (I had my new plugs to trade out) turned a 20 minute ride back to the ramp into an 1 hour, 45 minutes at 6 mph at 4k rpm's out of the port motor all the way back. (remember the one jet thing, slow and painful). I explained to my kids what went wrong (myself as the operator first, the whole prepare thing) and then when we got home, I told my kids what they would see when I pulled the plugs to their questioning faces.

With the plugs pulled, I asked them to tell me what they see and smell.... Wow fuel! Yep, put in the replacement plugs and started the SB motor right up, could have been done on the water... but.... no wrench. Though it was a good education moment for my kids, there were less painful ways to do it. The next morning I went through all my gear and re-organized it and put the proper onboard tools together in there permanent spot on-board for proper preparedness. Easy to laugh now, and of course SeaTow is just a call away, but, it shouldn't happen in the first place.

A good reminder to be prepared, and for the conditions you boat, weather fresh water or salt water.

Safe boating my friends.

View attachment 173685
Thanks for the great post!

It reminded me to order another set of plugs for my boat, I usually keep the take outs with me but I had a full year plus on the last set so it might be time to change them soon.

Although, during last weekends first outing of the year the engines started quickly and ran great!

Your post also reminded me that I have some other “prep” items I need to get sorted and put on the boat. For example, I have a couple of first aid kits on the boat, but I need to get some anbesol, aspirin and ibuprofen on the boat as well for that inevitable hook through the finger of either myself or a guest. I’ve got the good dykes to cut the hook off so I can push it through, but having the anbesol will help as a local numbing agent. Also need to put some sea sick pills on the boat for guests that might become ill.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your welcome,

It's strange how those first aid kits end up having things mysteriously disappear.... I have one in the house but two on the boat. Having something for sea sickness is another good thing to have for our guests, good add.

As a side note, I got to see one of those FSH 210's up close last month, impressive boat. :)
I have two first aid kits, one is buried in a ditch bag with a few emergency blanket sleeping bags and a blanket.. just bare minimum stuff. The other one I picked up from Sam’s club, actually two of them one is for the house. The one on the boat still has the plastic sealing membrane on it, so I’ll be able to tell if someone opens it.

I do need to complete my ditch bag better, some basic rations, collapsible water bladder and some purifying tabs. All just really basic stuff to ward off shock and prevent death by exposure. If a person ends up in the water around here right now they don’t have very many minutes of consciousness, and or many minutes of life in 39* water, so having those emergency blanket sleeping bags would be essential once out of the water.