• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ADVICE: Used Yamaha 190 FSH Sport purchasing buyer beware items?

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Yamaha 190 FSH Sport (90~hrs).

On the upside, the local dealer has been pretty forthcoming with everything that is wrong with the boat and agreed to repair at their cost ahead of taking delivery. However, it appears every time I speak to them the list increases and due to COVID backordered parts, the repair and ultimate delivery of the boat keeps sliding to the right.

Below is the list of items we've uncovered so far and being a "newbie" to Jet Boating, I'm looking for some advice.

Wondering if any of these should be show stoppers or if there are any other known systemic used Yamaha Jet Boat items I should be on the lookout for during the eventual sea trail. At this point its looking like it will be the middle of JUNE before it's ready (minus the speedometer).

1. 100 hour service (to be completed)
    1. Note: Engine code history noted a dozen~ over heat codes, but from what I can tell on this forum that "could be okay" if you're towing/tubing all day &/or suck up seaweed, sand, etc...?
  2. Trailer Brakes, Lights, Winch Strap & Jack (to be replaced)
  3. Steering Cables (2 week lead time)
    1. Is this a common item to go on these boats?
  4. Speedometer (30 day lead time)
    1. Note: It was recommended I accept the boat with a broken speedometer and use the aftermarket GPS unit onboard, until they can get the part in.
    2. Again, is this a common item to go on these boats?
Thank you in advance for any advice. While I appreciate the dealer being forthcoming about the issues, it sort of feels like a money pit and I haven't even taken delivery yet ;0)

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Nothing on that list would worry me in the least, EXCEPT for the overheat codes would be a red flag for me. Could be nothing, but also could be a lot. Make them do a compression test

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure your going to get many opinions. With under 100 hours on the boat I wouldn't expect to have this many issues. I'm wondering to myself why so many issues. Do you know if this is a salvaged boat? Is there a warranty from the dealership if you were to find additional items?

None of these are show stoppers, but I would be more meticulous during sea trial. Checking the oil (ideally this would be changed at the 100 hr service), if you could see the dip stick before the service would be a good.

As much as you want to get a boat, having a boat that isn't functional or that breaks down is worse than having one. Always wondering what else could go wrong would be enough for me to wait until something else comes along. Understandably in this season that maybe a while.

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nothing on that list would worry me in the least, EXCEPT for the overheat codes would be a red flag for me. Could be nothing, but also could be a lot. Make them do a compression test
Thank you for the recommendation. I have a print out of the Yamaha Diagnostic System engine scan. While a bit cryptic, it does NOT appear to provide engine compression, etc... Through from what I can tell it threw the "overheat codes" at:

Code 15 Occurred 1 time at 20.5 (presume engine hours)
Code 252 Occurred 13 times at 38.2 (presume engine hours)

The sheet is FULL of SPN codes (e.g. 521018, 521XXX), but I cannot find a decent cross reference sheet to look them all up.

From what I gather:
Code 15 = Incorrect Engine Temperature Sensor Signal
Code 252 = FC Invalid Code - Engine Overheat

They added a special note saying "Motor has 13 over heats - may need block flush"

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm sure your going to get many opinions. With under 100 hours on the boat I wouldn't expect to have this many issues. I'm wondering to myself why so many issues. Do you know if this is a salvaged boat? Is there a warranty from the dealership if you were to find additional items?

None of these are show stoppers, but I would be more meticulous during sea trial. Checking the oil (ideally this would be changed at the 100 hr service), if you could see the dip stick before the service would be a good.

As much as you want to get a boat, having a boat that isn't functional or that breaks down is worse than having one. Always wondering what else could go wrong would be enough for me to wait until something else comes along. Understandably in this season that maybe a while.
Regretfully, I don't have much to go on...other than they took the boat in on trade and have been pretty transparent thus far. Even providing their Trade Sheet and diagnostic scan from when they took the boat in. I have the HULL ID and Trailer VIN and would welcome any website you know of to look-up "boat history". Agreed, in trying to balance "what else could go wrong" vs. waiting to go through this process all over again with another boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything you mentioned you could take care of in a weekend yourself. For example, I had to replace my steering cable and I have 2020 AR210. Dealer indicated 2 weeks for cable, then about 3-5 days to replace once received. I bought my own and installed it in half a day. First time doing it.

None the less, only thing that would concern me, as already stated, is the over heat codes.

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Everything you mentioned you could take care of in a weekend yourself. For example, I had to replace my steering cable and I have 2020 AR210. Dealer indicated 2 weeks for cable, then about 3-5 days to replace once received. I bought my own and installed it in half a day. First time doing it.

None the less, only thing that would concern me, as already stated, is the over heat codes.
Thanks for the input, good/bad to find out the steering cables seem to be a common issue. Understanding, SALT is our #1 enemy ;0)

Does anyone happen to have any experience with sourcing third party warrantees?

This 2017 would be well past Yamaha's coverage (including Y.E.S program). Going to try and get a quote from NBOA, wondering if anyone had experience with them or similar carriers?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cables aren't that common, but it does happen.

TBH, after 3-4 years old I wouldn't worry about a warranty anymore. Call up Yamaha Warranty if like and see if they can offer you 1 or 2 years. Yamaha will let you go 1 at purchase and then extend up to 4 additional years for a total of 5. I have a total of 4 years on my. If you are handy you can take care of most things on your boat, plus just about everything has been done on this forum more than once. I would just be concerned about the Over heating and have them figure out why. After that you could be in good shape.

Perhaps you live close to a Member here and they would help you with inspecting it. Just a shot though. Post your location. I assist members around me all the time here in S.E. Michigan, when I am able to.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As far as the over heat goes, how about a sea trial and a half hour run at WOT to see if there is a cooling issue or not.

So if I read that correctly, there were 13 occasions of over heat at 38.2 hours? If that’s correct, it’s been 50 hours since there was an overheat ? That sounds like stressful day on the water, but more over, that’s a lot of hours since an over heat. Still I’d have them run a compression test. And have them do a block flus

How do the sacrificial anodes look?

Pull the inspection hatch on the clean out tray and look down into that area and see how the hose clamps and other stuff looks. This area could have a fair amount of corrosion unless the previous owner rinsed this area as it sounds like the boat was used in salt water. Have a good long look in the engine compartment and look for corrosion. The trailer sounds like it has a fair amount of corrosion on it. Open all the hatches, use a flash light to look down in the storage areas and get a better idea how the boats health is.

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As far as the over heat goes, how about a sea trial and a half hour run at WOT to see if there is a cooling issue or not.

So if I read that correctly, there were 13 occasions of over heat at 38.2 hours? If that’s correct, it’s been 50 hours since there was an overheat ? That sounds like stressful day on the water, but more over, that’s a lot of hours since an over heat. Still I’d have them run a compression test. And have them do a block flus

How do the sacrificial anodes look?

Pull the inspection hatch on the clean out tray and look down into that area and see how the hose clamps and other stuff looks. This area could have a fair amount of corrosion unless the previous owner rinsed this area as it sounds like the boat was used in salt water. Have a good long look in the engine compartment and look for corrosion. The trailer sounds like it has a fair amount of corrosion on it. Open all the hatches, use a flash light to look down in the storage areas and get a better idea how the boats health is.
Correct - If I'm reading the report correctly, it appears the overheats were all one event at 38.2 hours.

Attaching images for the area's you noted (that I just happened to snap images of), but yes this boat was absolutely salt water. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

NewB2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The cables aren't that common, but it does happen.

TBH, after 3-4 years old I wouldn't worry about a warranty anymore. Call up Yamaha Warranty if like and see if they can offer you 1 or 2 years. Yamaha will let you go 1 at purchase and then extend up to 4 additional years for a total of 5. I have a total of 4 years on my. If you are handy you can take care of most things on your boat, plus just about everything has been done on this forum more than once. I would just be concerned about the Over heating and have them figure out why. After that you could be in good shape.

Perhaps you live close to a Member here and they would help you with inspecting it. Just a shot though. Post your location. I assist members around me all the time here in S.E. Michigan, when I am able to.
Thanks, for the head's up on the Yamaha Warranty. Yes, I've been turning wrenches on cars since I was a kid, but this will be my first Jet Boat endeavor, so being super cautious and trying to get up to speed on the tech.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha Jet boats are easy to maintain and to fix just about anything.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good job with the pics!

Looks like any corrosion that is present is on the surface. The engine bay looks like it could use a thorough cleaning, the a very liberal dose of silicone spray on everything. Keeping a very thin layer of silicone on everything will make it look great as well as arresting any rust / corrosion that may be present. I’ve been using Motul Bike wash on my engine and engine bay. I’ve been using that product for years to clean up my dirt bikes and it works great, just rinse off the loose stuff, spray that on and rinse it off just before it dries and it will lift most dirt and grime off.

I could just barely see the anode block on the opposite side of the jet pump and it looks to be in good shape as well. There should be another anode that is in the cooling water passage that is easily removed, you may want to check that make sure it is in serviceable condition.

Take a flashlight and get under the boat and look up into the jet intake and examine the impeller and duct to check for damage. Then flip up the bucket and look up into the jet nozzle and check the impeller for damage from that side. The impellers and impeller sleeves are on a national back order with no ETA on delivery.

What is with that black wire going up the scupper drain on the port side of the jet pump ? That should have a rubber flapper that acts like a check valve and not a wire going up the hose. If that wire is for a transducer it should have it’s own dedicated run into the boat, E.G. a hole drilled in the transom.

Okay, since all the overheats took place at 38 hours, might want to verify that with the dealer, the engine is probably fine, still, a compression test takes a very short time to run, so that is probably a good idea to have checked.

For sure do the sea trial, then you will be able to take the boat with it’s dealer to do list and go have fun. The connext screen controls some of the functions of the boat, namely the live well run and off times when that switch is placed in automatic. The other functions like speed, battery voltage level, and fuel level are on that screen. So as long as you keep the tank full when heading out you should be in great shape.

Here’s a link to the boat test . com test on the 2019 version of your boat.

All in all, it looks like some elbow grease and some TLC will have it shining like a new dime!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks, for the head's up on the Yamaha Warranty. Yes, I've been turning wrenches on cars since I was a kid, but this will be my first Jet Boat endeavor, so being super cautious and trying to get up to speed on the tech.
I'm the most un handy person you ever come across, outside of changing a tire on a vehicle, count me out. I have done everything myself oh my boat with the help of this forum, if I wouldn't have found this forum I wouldn't have bought the boat to be honest as I came from a pontoon