• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Almost ran out of fuel

Santa_sleigh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Almost ran out of fuel today....

I intended to run it low because I have a long towing trip coming up this weekend, so have been actively watching the fuel gauge and trying to run it low to save some weight on the trailer. Started the day with a half tank and ended the day with the fuel gauge showing empty, like legit 0, with the low fuel warning flashing at me. Does anyone know how long you can run with the gauge showing empty and the low fuel warning on? Made me pretty nervous.

2015 212x

I've never trusted the gauges. I always use “fuel used” calculations as a closer estimate to my fuel status.

But….. I have been in that situation with the warnings and fuel used saying 48(out of 50) and when I came out of the no wake zone and throttled up… silence. Two dead engines, the gust from the storm we were trying to out run and a marine 400yds straight in front of us 🤣🤣🤣.

After we got towed to the fuel dock, I realized I left my wallet so my buddy had to pay…😂🤣🍻.

So, u keep trying and you too can get it down to zero but it sounds like you got it down far enough for your trip. You’ll know how far u really got it down to when u top it off.

Safe travels.

I've never trusted the gauges. I always use “fuel used” calculations as a closer estimate to my fuel status.

But….. I have been in that situation with the warnings and fuel used saying 48(out of 50) and when I came out of the no wake zone and throttled up… silence. Two dead engines, the gust from the storm we were trying to out run and a marine 400yds straight in front of us 🤣🤣🤣.

After we got towed to the fuel dock, I realized I left my wallet so my buddy had to pay…😂🤣🍻.

So, u keep trying and you too can get it down to zero but it sounds like you got it down far enough for your trip. You’ll know how far u really got it down to when u top it off.

Safe travels.
Nice job with the wallet! Genius!

Safe travels.
That sounds like a fun trip that you won’t have again.

Do you reset the fuel used indicator after every fill up? Kinda like a trip meter in a car? Is it pretty accurate?

That sounds like a fun trip that you won’t have again.

Do you reset the fuel used indicator after every fill up? Kinda like a trip meter in a car? Is it pretty accurate?
I use the fuel used meter every time I get fuel to know how much fuel needs to go into the boat, on my boat it is accurate to within 1/10 tenth of a gallon.

On my boat, the manual says the fuel tank is 52 gallons, I ran it down one time to 1 or 2%, when I was idling at the dock the starboard engine died, I put it on the trailer with the port engine. Once on the trailer the starboard engine started again. At the filling station it took 51 gallons of fuel, so pretty sure I have 50 gallons of useable fuel. I did this so I’d know for sure how much was useable.

Important note on filling your boat, DO NOT top it off / keep attempting to put more fuel in and the pump handle keeps clicking off, repeatedly this can put fuel into the carbon canister and will prevent the tank from venting during filling which will make filling the tank very difficult.

@Santa_sleigh

Yup, reset the fuel used every time I add. Some times I forget and God help me on the higher math I have to figure out 🤣 at that point.

I used the fuel gage as well. Don’t ever want to run it out. But the one time I did, I put 50 gal in the tank. Then my wallet went on strike.

I intended to run it low because I have a long towing trip coming up
I do the same but no need to run it empty 10 gallons of gas is only 63 lbs. If your careful packing it can be more beneficial in the placement of items. Heavy items in the back of the boat Vs the bow and dont load the back of the tow vehicle, keep the tongue weight as light as possible for the best tow. Most of the boats needed to be moved back on the trailer because the tongue weight was to high, this was due to Yamaha shipping and how they had to fit on the trailer from the factory.

I always fill the tank before I travel. My boat is ready to launch when I leave on a trip.

I’ve run out of fuel twice in the 12 years I’ve had my boat.

The first time was about two years ago and I just over estimated how long I could go with the needle on E and the warning light blinking. At roughly 35 mph I went 5 miles before the starboard engine died and a few hundred more feet before the port engine died. I threw the anchor called tow boat us and my son. Tow boat showed up an hour later with 5 gallons of gas for $60. My son and wife showed up on Waverunners with 10 gallons of fuel 15 minutes before tow boat so I turned tow boat away at no cost, I wanted to tip him but he politely declined, waved and headed back to port.

The second time was just a few weeks ago. I idled the boat back to the ramp on E on the last trip out and started the engines once I got the boat on the trailer. A few weeks later I couldn’t start the engines with my boat pointed down the driveway. I think the fuel level was so low that with the bow down no fuel was getting to the pumps. It took 52 gallons to fill up that day.

Now I’m back to my normal routine. That is, top off the tank either before or after every trip. The cost and weight don’t mean anything too me when compared to the inconvenience and sometimes risks of running out of fuel on the water.

I ran out of fuel in my old AR230 on a small, popular lake in Southern BC. The low fuel light was not set very well, it came on as I ran out...basically a "you have run out of gas" light.

I adjusted it after that trip.

Back