• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Am I screwed

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My oil pressure light came on while on the water today. I stopped the boat and checked the oil and it was pretty low. I made it back to the dock without the low pressure oil light coming back on. When I got home I noticed the oil filter was leaking but the motor was really really low on oil. How do I know if the motors fucked? I filled it with 2 quarts of oil to try and find the leaks for 5 mins and it threw no codes and sounded normal.

Change the oil. Examine the color and strain it through a magnet maybe? See if you have any metal in it.

My oil pressure light came on while on the water today. I stopped the boat and checked the oil and it was pretty low. I made it back to the dock without the low pressure oil light coming back on. When I got home I noticed the oil filter was leaking but the motor was really really low on oil. How do I know if the motors fucked? I filled it with 2 quarts of oil to try and find the leaks for 5 mins and it threw no codes and sounded normal.
You are fine, change oil like @BigN8 said and enjoy your boat. If you ran it wide open with very low oil you might have an issue but 2 quarts is not enough to lose total lubrication

You are fine, change oil like @BigN8 said and enjoy your boat. If you ran it wide open with very low oil you might have an issue but 2 quarts is not enough to lose total lubrication
But before I filled it, it was literally empty by the time I got home. While going back to the dock the pressure warning didn’t come back on and I didn’t get any over heat codes. I was literally about to have a stroke when I saw there was 0 oil in it. It must have all leaked out from the 15 min boat ride back and my hour tow home.

But before I filled it, it was literally empty by the time I got home. While going back to the dock the pressure warning didn’t come back on and I didn’t get any over heat codes. I was literally about to have a stroke when I saw there was 0 oil in it. It must have all leaked out from the 15 min boat ride back and my hour tow home.
Believe me when i tell you these engines are very stout and can take a lot of abuse. I have taken a few of these engines apart that had 500plus hours and the bearings ans cylinders look as the day they were assembled.
You will be just fine. Yamaha makes a great product

The key is that you stopped when you got the low oil pressure light, that is what that warning light is for. If you didn’t get another oil pressure light that means there was still enough oil pressure to keep it pinned down.

Sounds like the oil filter was leaking, what brand was it? Was it loose or did it spring a leak?

Neutron knows what he is talking about he works on these things for a living.

Do as @BigN8 says and change the oil, run it through a coffee filter or a paint pot strainer would be better to see if there is any metal, I’m betting there won’t be. Might as well change the oil in the other engine as well. Then go run it and have fun.

The key is that you stopped when you got the low oil pressure light, that is what that warning light is for. If you didn’t get another oil pressure light that means there was still enough oil pressure to keep it pinned down.

Sounds like the oil filter was leaking, what brand was it? Was it loose or did it spring a leak?

Neutron knows what he is talking about he works on these things for a living.

Do as @BigN8 says and change the oil, run it through a coffee filter or a paint pot strainer would be better to see if there is any metal, I’m betting there won’t be. Might as well change the oil in the other engine as well. Then go run it and have fun.
I got it from Jet boat Pilot oil change kit. I changed it in April. I’m sorry I forgot to mention it came on a total of 2 times, both times I instantly shut the boat off and on the second one I turned around and drove the boat to my trailer at about 20mph and it did not come back on. It was the oil filter.

It’ll be fine. Change the oil and call it good. 25+ years ago we had a F250 with the 300 inline 6 and the rear main leaking on the engine. Guys would run it out of oil, locked it up prob a half dozen times, rolled it backward after it cooled down topped off the oil and fired it up. Dang thing ran for over a decade after the first time it happened so I would say that your engine is just fine.

I got it from Jet boat Pilot oil change kit. I changed it in April. I’m sorry I forgot to mention it came on a total of 2 times, both times I instantly shut the boat off and on the second one I turned around and drove the boat to my trailer at about 20mph and it did not come back on. It was the oil filter.
Okay so it was an oem oil filter, interesting. Was it the oil filter case or was it leaking past the O ring at the base?

Was the oil filter loose?
No it wasn’t. It may have been my fault, in April I changed the oil and hand tightened the oil filter but I did a quarter turn with an oil filter wrench. That’s the only thing I could think of that cracked it.

No it wasn’t. It may have been my fault, in April I changed the oil and hand tightened the oil filter but I did a quarter turn with an oil filter wrench. That’s the only thing I could think of that cracked it.

Probably a fluke. Be sure and put oil on the O ring when you install it.

Change the oil in both engines and go burn some fuel!

I totally get the panic! I’d freak the F out too, but I as well as the others think you’re fine.

Probably a fluke. Be sure and put oil on the O ring when you install it.

Change the oil in both engines and go burn some fuel!

I totally get the panic! I’d freak the F out too, but I as well as the others think you’re fine.
Possibly, you aren't supposed to use any type of wrench on the filter though correct?

I wouldn’t use a wrench to tighten the oil filter no, they can very easily dent them. Just use your hand and tighten it as hard as you’re able to and you’ll be fine. Only use the wrench when removing it.

Possibly, you aren't supposed to use any type of wrench on the filter though correct?

I use a fluted oil filter wrench on my TR-1 oil filters, sure makes getting them removing them easy, and I use a torque wrench to tighten them. This type of wrench won’t deform the oil filter housing, you just need to get the correct size for your oil filter.

767E0A87-5AFD-41DA-AE31-82DE5C181A77.jpeg

I use a fluted oil filter wrench on my TR-1 oil filters, sure makes getting them removing them easy, and I use a torque wrench to tighten them. This type of wrench won’t deform the oil filter housing, you just need to get the correct size for your oil filter.

View attachment 225727
I’ll check it out, 10w 40 oil is unavailable in my area (New Jersey) but I can pick up some 10w 30 yamalube oil. Should be fine to run here right?

lots of oil opinions, but i wouldn't go lighter...
lots of jetskiers use 15w40 rotella t4 diesel oil

I’ll check it out, 10w 40 oil is unavailable in my area (New Jersey) but I can pick up some 10w 30 yamalube oil. Should be fine to run here right?
Stick with what your owners manual states 10w40 nothing else. I recommend yamalube 4w only

I agree with @Neutron, look at your owners manual for the oil requirements which is temperature dependent to your area. Yamalube is fine oil. I personally run Amsoil 10W-40 Marine oil as it can get pretty hot here during the summer, and I trailer to places that are hotter. I recommend a Marine oil as it has some marine specific additives for corrosion protection.

In case you don’t know, the W in say 10W-40 stands for Winters not weight. The Winters rating is the ability of the oil to flow at 32° F, so you want to stay with manufacturers recommendations on the W rating.

Back