• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Amsoil Oil Filter?

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Time for my 10 hour service, just wondering if anyone knows the Amsoil Filter part number, for a ‘22 255XD? (Is it the same for the 1.8, and the 1.8 super charger?)
The Stock Yamaha one is 69J-13440-04
Thanks in advance!….

I exclusively used K&N filters and Mobil 1 in my 2005 AR230HO…. For 15 years, and God knows how many hours!…. But I’ve heard great things about Amsoil.
Not sure if it would void my warranty?

It's illegal to tie a warranty to an oem product.

Correct!

The Magnussen/ Moss law prohibits an OEM to require a certain brand of oil / filter or any other part as long as it meets the OEM spec. Amsoil filters exceed all OEM specs.

If an OEM specifically requires a particular brand of filter for example then the OEM must supply said parts free of charge to the customer.

If a manufacturer denies a warranty claim they have to prove in court that said part caused the problem. If any dealer tries that crap just mention the Magnuson / Moss law and they will back right off.

I exclusively used K&N filters and Mobil 1 in my 2005 AR230HO…. For 15 years, and God knows how many hours!…. But I’ve heard great things about Amsoil.
Not sure if it would void my warranty?

It will not void your warranty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

You can call Amsoil tech line and they should be able to help you. Otherwise if you look on the side of the oem filter box it will list the different models of motorcycles that fiber fits. Go onto the Amsoil web site and look up that particular motorcycle and it will give you the Amsoil EAO filter number.

Did a quick search and found this cross reference chart…you will need to confirm this is correct, looks like the EA009 is the correct Amsoil filter.

Last edited:
It will not void your warranty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

You can call Amsoil tech line and they should be able to help you. Otherwise if you look on the side of the oem filter box it will list the different models of motorcycles that fiber fits. Go onto the Amsoil web site and look up that particular motorcycle and it will give you the Amsoil EAO filter number.

Did a quick search and found this cross reference chart…you will need to confirm this is correct, looks like the EA009 is the correct Amsoil filter.

Thanks so much!!!!!! I’ll also give Amsoil a quick call to confirm…. Looking forward to giving Amsoil a try... I’ve heard great things about them!.

Thanks so much!!!!!! I’ll also give Amsoil a quick call to confirm…. Looking forward to giving Amsoil a try... I’ve heard great things about them!.

I’ve had a pretty long experience with Amsoil, way back in the late 80’s. I didn’t start using their products until the 2013 time frame, now I use nothing but their products for just about everything. I‘m very pleased with their products.

I’m running their 10W-40 marine oil in my Yamaha FSH 210.

Hmmmmm, emailed Amsoil and they replied that they don’t have an equivalent filter matching the Yamaha part number?

Hmmmmm, emailed Amsoil and they replied that they don’t have an equivalent filter matching the Yamaha part number?

Yeah that doesn’t work… you need to find which motorcycle your filter fits then use their website with that bike.

You will have to call a Yamaha and find which motorcycle uses the same filter as your boat then cross that with the Amsoil filter then you are set.

This is the filter for my TR-1 engine, notice the cross reference for all of the different Yamaha vehicles… I just give the Amsoil tech one of those motorcycles and they gave me an Amsoil number of EAOM103.

B5AD31AA-DF16-4852-918B-8067A8FE1351.jpeg

8DCF2A74-19F3-4F9B-AE94-A6FC85FBAF3F.jpeg

Yeah that doesn’t work… you need to find which motorcycle your filter fits then use their website with that bike.

You will have to call a Yamaha and find which motorcycle uses the same filter as your boat then cross that with the Amsoil filter then you are set.

This is the filter for my TR-1 engine, notice the cross reference for all of the different Yamaha vehicles… I just give the Amsoil tech one of those motorcycles and they gave me an Amsoil number of EAOM103.

View attachment 185617

View attachment 185619
Thanks!!!!!! Great idea!…. I’ll give Yamaha a call now and see what I can find out!….

I just called Yamaha, and it looks like it’s the same filter for the 255 & 252…. So it’s the same filter for the 1.8 & the 1.8 Supercharged motor. I guess the Amsoil EaOM103 would be the correct filter.
Butttttttt, of course he HIGHLY discouraged me from using anything other than the OEM Yamaha Filter, saying the aftermarket filters may use different valving and backflow ….. stating that K&N had a big debacle with their oil filters and manufactures denied warranty work, and many engine failures. (Not exactly sure what he was referring to)….

I just called Yamaha, and it looks like it’s the same filter for the 255 & 252…. So it’s the same filter for the 1.8 & the 1.8 Supercharged motor. I guess the Amsoil EaOM103 would be the correct filter.
Butttttttt, of course he HIGHLY discouraged me from using anything other than the OEM Yamaha Filter, saying the aftermarket filters may use different valving and backflow ….. stating that K&N had a big debacle with their oil filters and manufactures denied warranty work, and many engine failures. (Not exactly sure what he was referring to)….

NO Its not the same filter. If it was the same filter the Yamaha part numbers would be the same and they are not.

The Yamaha part number 5GH-13440-61 cross references to the Amsoil part number EaOM103, this is for the TR-1 motors, 1049cc’s.

You stated in your OP that the part number is 69J-13440-04. You need to call a Yamaha shop and ask what motorcycle or other power sports equipment that filter fits on, preferably a street bike if possible. Then tell Amsoil what bike it goes on. Or if you can look at the Yamaha filter that goes on your boat, you will have the cross reference that I showed in the post above.

Amsoil stands behind their filters. When I called Amsoil today to try and find your filter for you, the guy I talked with started talking about specific flow rates, bypass valves etc, and how if they were not correct they’d be buying a motor. Once I read off the various motorcycles listed on the side of the Yamaha filter box he cross referenced several different vehicles that use the filter that is used on my boat. I believe it is even used on their snow machines as well since the block of the TR-1 is used in their turbo charged snow machine.

I’m not surprised K&N had issues, they are not the same company they were years ago, same with FRAM. The K&N air filters used to be really good, but now not so much. Except for those environments where the particulate is very large, like sand dunes riding, and where there is basically no dirt like marine applications.

NO Its not the same filter. If it was the same filter the Yamaha part numbers would be the same and they are not.

The Yamaha part number 5GH-13440-61 cross references to the Amsoil part number EaOM103, this is for the TR-1 motors, 1049cc’s.

You stated in your OP that the part number is 69J-13440-04. You need to call a Yamaha shop and ask what motorcycle or other power sports equipment that filter fits on, preferably a street bike if possible. Then tell Amsoil what bike it goes on. Or if you can look at the Yamaha filter that goes on your boat, you will have the cross reference that I showed in the post above.

Amsoil stands behind their filters. When I called Amsoil today to try and find your filter for you, the guy I talked with started talking about specific flow rates, bypass valves etc, and how if they were not correct they’d be buying a motor. Once I read off the various motorcycles listed on the side of the Yamaha filter box he cross referenced several different vehicles that use the filter that is used on my boat. I believe it is even used on their snow machines as well since the block of the TR-1 is used in their turbo charged snow machine.

I’m not surprised K&N had issues, they are not the same company they were years ago, same with FRAM. The K&N air filters used to be really good, but now not so much. Except for those environments where the particulate is very large, like sand dunes riding, and where there is basically no dirt like marine applications.
Oh shoot!….. My BAD!…. For some reason I was assuming you had the standard 1.8 liter motor, not realizing you have the TR-1 motor…. I hope I didn’t lead anyone astray!
Yeah, the Parts guy at Yamaha just read off the other Yamaha Boats that used the same filter (part number in my OP)…. Like the 252, 255, 212, 195, etc, etc. …. But then started scolding me for trying to cross reference the filter to find out what correct Amsoil filter I need. LMAO!
From all the ‘related’ posts I’ve read (like the one quoted above), Amsoil definitely makes a quality product!…. Which I really already knew….
Thanks for contacting Amsoil trying to find the correct filter for me….. I’m going to go to the dealership and do exactly what you did, and look at the box itself and see what other Yamaha products that filter fits…..

Oh shoot!….. My BAD!…. For some reason I was assuming you had the standard 1.8 liter motor, not realizing you have the TR-1 motor…. I hope I didn’t lead anyone astray!
Yeah, the Parts guy at Yamaha just read off the other Yamaha Boats that used the same filter (part number in my OP)…. Like the 252, 255, 212, 195, etc, etc. …. But then started scolding me for trying to cross reference the filter to find out what correct Amsoil filter I need. LMAO!
From all the ‘related’ posts I’ve read (like the one quoted above), Amsoil definitely makes a quality product!…. Which I really already knew….
Thanks for contacting Amsoil trying to find the correct filter for me….. I’m going to go to the dealership and do exactly what you did, and look at the box itself and see what other Yamaha products that filter fits…..

No worries!

I just did some more searching around and the only link I found on greehulk was a guy who has an 1800 ski said a Lincoln / Motorcraft filter crosses over but as the amsoil tech, his name is Nick, told me you have to be careful with flow rates. The Lincoln filter definitely was constructed better, again you have to be careful. Worst case scenario you keep running the Yamaha filter. But by all means, have a look at the Yamaha box and see what other vehicles / engines use that filter.

Here’s the link to the thread at green hulk SVHO oil filter comparison. $23 Denso (OEM) vs. $4 Motorcraft FL 910s

I didn’t realize it was four pages long.. .just went through all four pages.. there is some good tech info on the various oil filters. The Motorcraft filters specs, such as micron rating and most importantly the efficiency rating. The K&N lists the smallest particle trapped is 10 microns but no efficiency rating. I believe the Amsoil filters are 20 microns at 99% efficiency-impressive.

The other thing listed was the bypass valve psi ratings, or at what differential pressure the bypass will open.

There was no data listed for the Denso/Yamaha filter. While I’m sure the Denso is a decent filter, I find it disturbing that the ends of the pleats are open. I’ve seen other oil filters wherein the pleats are at least epoxied shut.

The other filter I saw mentioned was the Scotts micronic filter. I’ve used these filters for years in my bikes, I don’t know the micron efficiency rating off the top of my head but these are expensive as note by a poster on the green hulk site, but the poster failed to mention that the filters are reusable.. simply clean them with a quality contact cleaner, dry and put them back in. I also ran one my last diesel truck.

Last edited:
Here’s the link to the thread at green hulk SVHO oil filter comparison. $23 Denso (OEM) vs. $4 Motorcraft FL 910s

I didn’t realize it was four pages long.. .just went through all four pages.. there is some good tech info on the various oil filters. The Motorcraft filters specs, such as micron rating and most importantly the efficiency rating. The K&N lists the smallest particle trapped is 10 microns but no efficiency rating. I believe the Amsoil filters are 20 microns at 99% efficiency-impressive.

The other thing listed was the bypass valve psi ratings, or at what differential pressure the bypass will open.

There was no data listed for the Denso/Yamaha filter. While I’m sure the Denso is a decent filter, I find it disturbing that the ends of the pleats are open. I’ve seen other oil filters wherein the pleats are at least epoxied shut.

The other filter I saw mentioned was the Scotts micronic filter. I’ve used these filters for years in my bikes, I don’t know the micron efficiency rating off the top of my head but these are expensive as note by a poster on the green hulk site, but the poster failed to mention that the filters are reusable.. simply clean them with a quality contact cleaner, dry and put them back in. I also ran one my last diesel truck.
Thanks FSH 210!…. That was an interesting write up on Green Hulk (just finished going thru the 4 pages, lol)…. Didn’t think I’d ever learn this much about Oil Filters!…. But that first part of the write up didn’t look very Good for the stock Denso Filter…. Definitely not constructed as good as it could be, with the pleats open at the end, which I would think could let unfiltered oil pass right thru. Granted it’s probably a minuscule amount, but still.
As far as the bypass valve, I believe that would be a non issue seeing as how I change my oil and filter every season, with at most 50 to 60 hours total, so I highly doubt any filter I use would be clogged enough to be hitting the bypass stage.
All in all, I’m sure the stock Yamaha filter would be fine…. But me being overly OCD, I just like to research and ‘try’ to use the best possible product.
Side note, on my old 2005 AR230HO, I used the K&N filter w/ Mobil 1 oil exclusively for over 15 years….. and trust me, I didn’t baby these high revving MR-1 engines at all!….. many times running wide open throttle for LONG periods!…. 10,500 rpm!, for an hour straight…. LOL!…. Never having any issues!…. Compression was still exceptionally good 15 years later!…….
Thanks again for all you assistance!!!!

Thanks FSH 210!…. That was an interesting write up on Green Hulk (just finished going thru the 4 pages, lol)…. Didn’t think I’d ever learn this much about Oil Filters!…. But that first part of the write up didn’t look very Good for the stock Denso Filter…. Definitely not constructed as good as it could be, with the pleats open at the end, which I would think could let unfiltered oil pass right thru. Granted it’s probably a minuscule amount, but still.
As far as the bypass valve, I believe that would be a non issue seeing as how I change my oil and filter every season, with at most 50 to 60 hours total, so I highly doubt any filter I use would be clogged enough to be hitting the bypass stage.
All in all, I’m sure the stock Yamaha filter would be fine…. But me being overly OCD, I just like to research and ‘try’ to use the best possible product.
Side note, on my old 2005 AR230HO, I used the K&N filter w/ Mobil 1 oil exclusively for over 15 years….. and trust me, I didn’t baby these high revving MR-1 engines at all!….. many times running wide open throttle for LONG periods!…. 10,500 rpm!, for an hour straight…. LOL!…. Never having any issues!…. Compression was still exceptionally good 15 years later!…….
Thanks again for all you assistance!!!!

Glad to be of assistance!

Back