• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

anyone adventurous with a 19 foot fsh or 19 foot keel boat in my area

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hopefully we will be getting some more reviews in on the new viper system that people are trying.
I will try to keep track of them for this thread.
Remember I do not have any input in these so people will focus on different aspects of the system and with different people you can expect different opinions.
Here is a link to an interesting one that was just recently posted. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet-steering-viper-system.12942/ I still have a couple left and I have some ordered but I do not know exactly when they will be ready.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so only one left at the 99 dollar price and then the next batch will be a steal at $159 each, When I get them!
I am holding on to one right now so I can use it for a redesign to build a similar system for the single engine boats without the rudders.
Those have different requirements plus they stopped producing that model so it would not make good business sense to invest a lot of money making this revised version especially when I have the Ultimate system that works very nicely on those models. So any takers for the 99 dollar special just let me know.
Keep in mind you now have people on this site you can actually contact and ask how they work.

Last edited:

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't wait for the rudderless version!!

I will definitely purchase.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I am getting some feedback from people who wanted to try this VIPER system out on their 19 foot keel boats by participating in the special test program. I still have a couple available for those who wish to participate.
Good afternoon,

When I purchased my '17 FSH I got some Thrust Vector Extremes. I didn't know the difference between your system and these. In fact, I'm not sure the Viper was out yet and I'm not very happy with the "promise" of increased maneuverability at slow speeds. Once I get past the wife/gatekeeper and look at improving my handling, what will a set of these put me back?

Thank you!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I still have one set available for 99 dollars plus tax however you must re install the small bushings in your reverse hood that were removed when you installed the other steering so hopefully you still have them available or you will need to get two at your dealer. part number is 90387-08m30-00. When this last one is gone I will be waiting for the next order to come in and those will be 159 plus tax, The catch on the low price is you will be testing these and reporting back your opinion of the system.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am patiently waiting for the rest of the test people to post their experience with this new design

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeff have you tried these on a twin engine boat? Love the idea of incorporating the trim tab.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are several variations of this that I am considering but for now I need to stay focused on the single engine rudder and non rudder version I hope to have the non rudder version ready soon . After that who knows I guess you just need to stay tuned. Possibly Including one for the 4 tec pumps also. You just never know until I want you to. LOL!

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
5/17/17 Another Viper review update.

Updated video showing how the Viper does a great jobs at stopping the FSH sit and spin while at idle.

4/28/17 Updated review of the Viper

I spent 7 hours on the lake today fishing. The Viper is the single best piece of equipment I've purchased for this boat. I highly recommend it.

Spent much of the time at idle fishing and can say for a fact the Yamaha sit and spin is gone. Slow speed handling is greatly improved. No more over Steering and she tracks straight.

Hops up on plane fast. Was able to get 43mph wide open with a full tank of gas with 2 adults on board. Can't honestly say the Viper is the reason for the speed, but I'm happy so that's all that matters.

Review of the first day out with the new Cobra Jet Viper.

Boat:
Yamaha FSH 190

Conditions:
Lake
Choppy
85 degrees
15-20 mph cross winds (almost went home the winds were so bad)

Installation:
Moderate to easy depending on your ability. I found it to be easy, but I've had some experience in this area.

Reverse:
Found the boat to be moderately more responsive in reverse. Better ability to turn the stern to port and starboard.

Forward no wake / slow speed:
This is the speed I would say we spend 75% of the time and where the Viper shines. I saw vast improvements in no wake mode. (See quick video) Notice the black tape at the top of the steering wheel. Tracked straight without moving or touching the wheel. This area of the lake was less choppy but still had considerable cross winds. The Viper preformed EXCELLENT. Before the Viper we were constantly steering to keep a straight course. This alone is worth the cost and installation.

Forward at speed:
Preformed good. I really can't say that it's a lot better, because I felt the FSH was already good while cruising at speed. I can say the Viper had no adverse effect and probably did in fact give a smoother feel , but it's so close it's hard to say. I did not see any additional water spray as noted in another review.

Docking/trailering:
Saw a small amount of improvement at this very slow / neutral speed. I will say that with the 20 mph cross winds and chop blowing across the launch it was a very rough day for launching and recovery. I'm still not the best with this area of the FSH. Only have about 20 hours on the boat. The winds and chop were so bad during recovery I finally docked and used a line to pull her on to the trailer with someone pushing the stern off the dock. Winds kept pushing me sideways in the launch. I will review this area again when we have normal conditions.

Idle:
The FSH sit and spin was dramatically decreased. I did not spend a lot of time sitting at idle, but I did notice a drastic improvement. I will spend more time at idle next trip and update the review.

Final comments:
Well the best and most important thing I can say about the Viper is the wife was extremely happy with the no wake / slow speed handling. This is when she drives 95% of the time. If she's happy the Viper is worth every penny. Happy wife equals more time on the boat!!!!!!

I will review again when the winds aren't so bad or when I take her into different water.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve Carter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last week I installed the Cobra Viper System on my 190 fsh. Installation only took about 20 minutes to complete. Took the boat out on the Lake with 20 mph winds. Low speed the boat handled great. Very little steering corrections to keep it going straight. Did not use reverse that much to see how well it handled. I did notice it got on plane faster than without. What I like the best was turning the boat while on plane. It really holds the turn and gives it a tighter turning response. Running the boat in rough water really showed how well the viper system kept the boat running straight in-line while cutting across the waves. Thanks Jeff!

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you all for the reviews. I'd like to see a longer video with a fsh in some real current...

3thrty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Still available? What is the best way for me to order?

I still have one set available for 99 dollars plus tax however you must re install the small bushings in your reverse hood that were removed when you installed the other steering so hopefully you still have them available or you will need to get two at your dealer. part number is 90387-08m30-00. When this last one is gone I will be waiting for the next order to come in and those will be 159 plus tax, The catch on the low price is you will be testing these and reporting back your opinion of the system.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so the last test one is gone, I hope to have the first regular run in hand within a week. I also hope to have all the changes made for some non rudder 19 foot type vipers, unfortunately this version is going to be more expensive as it will require adding some special fins in the middle to help with the steering like the rudder equipped boats enjoy and to protect the outside fins from contacting the ground like the rudder does, so this system will have 2 inner fins and 2 outer fins plus the planning surface and the fangs built in like the first version.
The price is probably going to be in the $235 range due to the extra inner fins , however these will really enhance the reverse and slow speed steering.
So stay tuned and thanks for all the interest and trusting in my experience designing steering for your jet boating enjoyment.
Remember If you don't have a smile on your face when you use your jet boat you probably don't have COBRA JET STEERING added to it!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was advised that I should have the first retail batch of CJS VIPERS before the end of the week. They will cost $159.00 for those of you interested .
Remember the ultimate and the regular magnum steering systems will also work very effectively on the 19 foot boats with or without the rudder.
I have completed the design for the VIPER system to work with the non keel 19 foot jet boats however I do not have any guess on just how long this one will take to get built. That system will also have some internal fins that will obviously make it more costly but not too expensive like I projected earlier the $235 range is pretty accurate.
This will be a model specific set also and it will not work on any of the other models. You will get the fins, fangs and planning surface between the fins and two internal fins to replace and even exceed the influence provided by the factory rudder on the other models plus the internal fins will help with reverse control. So it should kick butt.
Also I have been observing a couple of people claiming that they have been reaching higher top speeds with the CJS VIPER added to their boat during test runs but I can't say if this is just a coincidence.
I do know that using my trim on my fx cruisers definitely effects top end by about 3 mph so time will tell. I also noted that in a 19 foot boat if you place a bunch of adults in the bow you make it more difficult to steer the boat so the more people up in the front the more it will plow water. In any event I am still waiting for the last few test people to report on their experience with the viper and I realize a few of them live in some very cold areas of the country So that's about all I have for now.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Still waiting for wettest winter on record to finish....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well it beats having your state burn up in wild fires from lack of rain.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so my parts are here! I made a quick video to show how to install the VIPER
pretty simple actually.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
4/28/17 Updated review of the Viper

I spent 7 hours on the lake today fishing. The Viper is the single best piece of equipment I've purchased for this boat. I highly recommend it.

Spent a lot of the time at idle fishing and can say for a fact the Yamaha sit and spin is gone. Slow speed handling is greatly improved. No more over steering and she tracks straight.

Hops up on plane fast. Was able to get 43mph wide open with a full tank of gas with 2 adults on board. Can't honestly say the Viper is the reason for the speed, but I'm happy so that's all that matters.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree.We took our second trip with the Viper yesterday with the boat loaded for fishing. I was anxious to see if I thought the handling was as much improved as I thought on the first trip. It was.
Slow speed tracking much-improved, overall handling of the boat in general is much improved. Jumping on plane definitely easier with a loaded boat and it is definitely helps to smooth out on coming boat wakes.
Reverse may not handle as well as a prop boat but is much improved over the stock FSH.