• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Anyone in CA Dealt With Delinquent Vessel Taxes?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, last year was the first year that my vessel taxes were due to my county. Never had any property tax like a boat before, and I swear I never saw the initial bill come so they went unpaid.

I paid the registration for my boat, the trailer, and mussell sticker fee in January.

Weeks later, I got a notice from the DMV saying "we have received your apication to renew your vessel registration. However, it is incomplete and your sticker and registration card cannot be issued until the item(s) listed below are received by the DMV" It then lists the property tax as being unpaid.

Ok, it says it can't give me the registration card and sticker, however, I received the 2025 reg sticker, but never received a mussel sticker, which is done separately.

Taxes are paid, I went down to the local AAA office and they gave me the mussel sticker since I never got one.

The only thing I lack is the registration card. The DMV notice said taxes are supposed to be paid before I get the registration card AND sticker, but somehow I got a sticker anyway.

So here's my question:

Has anyone ever been asked for the actual DMV registration slip from any dock, marina, lake, or reservoir in CA?

The taxes are paid, so it's a mere matter of weeks before the DMV sends it to me, but dammit I want to take my boat out. And if the reg sticker and mussel sticker are all they ever really check, then I guess I'll take my chances going to my local lake.

I don't believe it's illegal to tow an unregistered boat in CA, speaking as the registration of the trailer is separate from the boat, and it's current.

Anyone with any knowledge on this or am I in some sort of grey area?

I've got my me registration and haven't put the stickers on yet. Been that way for months. Never been hassled at any of the resovoirs or marinas we boat at (San Diego area).

Not saying it won't happen, but that's men my experience.

If you’ve paid them I wouldn’t sweat it. WORST that happens is that you get a ticket you can get dismissed later when you explain the situation and provide the documentation that it was all paid up prior.
I am not a lawyer and someone may tell me this is poor advice, but I wouldn’t let it stop me from boating. I boated for month WITHOUT tabs when we bought our boat because they were so slow.

You should have a receipt from paying your “fees”.. be sure and have that with you if you get hassled by the man.. which I don’t think you will since all of your stickers are up to date.. if you do get questioned have the receipt and all correspondence with you, a reasonable officer will look at your paper and see that it is a matter of the dmv not getting you your paper.. I would go and not wait.

I never had a Leo ask to see my paper registration for the boat. I think you are good if you have the sticker and proof of payment if they do ask. To be clear you are referencing the annual CA state luxury tax for owning a boat, 1% of the assessed / estimated hull value. Purely a bs money grab since day one. Same with the mussel sticker.

I never had a Leo ask to see my paper registration for the boat. I think you are good if you have the sticker and proof of payment if they do ask. To be clear you are referencing the annual CA state luxury tax for owning a boat, 1% of the assessed / estimated hull value. Purely a bs money grab since day one. Same with the mussel sticker.
Which is why I'm considering stowing the boat at my cousin's place in Bullhead, AZ. Not moored in a CA county, no tax.

Which is why I'm considering stowing the boat at my cousin's place in Bullhead, AZ. Not moored in a CA county, no tax.

Nevada is cheaper still. My friend has a place in BHC and he told me AZ wanted too much and Nevada was more than happy to register his boat there.

You’re supposed to register a boat where it’s being used. Seems that moving it out of state would be a hassle to avoid a couple of hundred dollars a year in taxes.

Another reason I love living in Delaware - our sales and use taxes are $0 on boats ( although we do have a 5% tax on the value of a trailer when we get it titled.)

Jim

The annual 1% sales tax would not bother me so much if the taxes went to improving boating related things like public boat ramps, invasive species remediation, safe boating education, etc. but a quick review of the bill reflects little or no boating/water related spend of the taxes collected.

A few years ago I called my county assessor to better understand why I shouldn’t store the boat in a nearby county since they didn’t charge my friend there a tax for his boat. in response I was told that all CA counties charge this tax, which turns out to be true. CA applies it to new and used purchases. I bought used Waverunner for $3k a few years back, my county sent me an annual tax bill for $30 for the several years I owned it.
IMG_5145.png

What hurts more is the sales tax on a big purchase from a business. It’s based on the county you live in when you make the purchase not where you make the purchase. At least the calculation is easy, just add about 10% to whatever the sticker price is.
IMG_5144.png

Nevada is cheaper still. My friend has a place in BHC and he told me AZ wanted too much and Nevada was more than happy to register his boat there.

Interesting,

A 21' boat is $40 in Nevada.
A 21' boat is $35 in Arizona.

Nevada fee schedule from here,
Apply & Buy - Nevada Boating
Registration Certificate & Decal Annual Fees
Watercraft less than 13 feet$20
Watercraft 13 feet or more but less than 18$25
Watercraft 18 feet or more but less than 22$40
Watercraft 22 feet or more but less than 26$55
Watercraft 26 feet or more but less than 31$75
Watercraft 31 feet or more$100

1712501348757.png

Attachments

• 1712501044326.png
    1712501044326.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 0
Interesting,

A 21' boat is $40 in Nevada.
A 21' boat is $35 in Arizona.

Nevada fee schedule from here,
Apply & Buy - Nevada Boating
Registration Certificate & Decal Annual Fees
Watercraft less than 13 feet$20
Watercraft 13 feet or more but less than 18$25
Watercraft 18 feet or more but less than 22$40
Watercraft 22 feet or more but less than 26$55
Watercraft 26 feet or more but less than 31$75
Watercraft 31 feet or more$100

View attachment 217728
I could be wrong, but on Nevada's site, I'm not seeing an out of state fee like Arizona has. Arizona is over $200.

My point in saying I'm storing my boat at my cousin's place, is that in CA, you're actually paying the tax on where you are "mooring" your vessel, not necessarily where you live. If you can prove you store your vessel elsewhere, then you pay the tax in the jurisdiction that it's moored. It won't be registered in AZ, from my understanding, I don't have to do that legally. I could be wrong.

Nevada is promising, they just want as much registration revenue as possible. They don't seem to even care where the vessel is moored.

Back