• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Anyone running Lithium batteries - Any Issues?

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I‘ve read through the various existing threads including the various considerations and what looks like some are running Lithium but I was hoping to get some confirmation and feedback on any that are.

I currently have a newer 100ah lithium (used it in camper, now sold) so cost nor weight pro/cons aren’t in the equation.

Is anyone running lithium in a dual battery (starter/house) setup? Running 1 lithium (house) and lead (starter) or both lithium?

Any issues experienced with setup or things you’d do different? (Stator charging, voltage/current regulation, BMS issues, etc)

Purely just considering to make use of battery I have to negate any concerns at all of running low on power from a long day at the sandbar. Charging batteries at night isn‘t a problem.

Thank you for any insights!

Got it, lots of good info there. Thank you!

Looks like my option will either be to modify the DVSR red wire to better support lithium & lead acid battery or similar to what you’re running or pickup a lithium starter too similar to what 84rzv500r has for a setup.

You are welcome! That is why I documented that project so carefully for, so that others didn’t have to go through the learning curve I did.

Modifying the dvsr is super easy, and it’s necessary to keep the batteries isolated no matter which batteries you end up using but especially if you have a lead acid start battery. The dvsr closes at 13.2V and opens at 12.7V, the resting voltage of lithium batteries when fully charged is 13.6V, so the dvsr will stay closed until the batteries are about 80-90% discharged, not what you want to have happen.

I don’t know what your boating season looks like, but getting ones with internal heating is a must if you want to recharge in sub freezing weather. The battle born’s and the ReLion’s BMS will not let the battery charge if it is too cold, I’m pretty sure that dakota lithium has one like that now too that is a dual purpose group 24 start / house battery that would drop right into your battery boxes. The internal heat function is totally automatic on the relion and Dakota lithium, I know the ReLion will use the battery charger input to provide the heating power, not sure on the DL. The battle born has an enable switch that turns on the heating and uses the batteries internal power to supply the heating, this is not an issue when charging, and provides more power when in use and its cold, but you just have to remember to turn it off when you leave the boat in cold temps it will draw the battery down to where the BMS cuts off the battery. I believe the heaters on the BB batteries come on around 35* and turn off at 40*, the ReLion only works when hooked up to a battery charger.

I went with a 100Ah BB battery as I’m running my fish finder, live well pump, live well aerator, air pump for inflatables you name it on a given day and my days are long, like 12-14 hours at the height of summer.

I went with battle born batteries as they are completely American made and have great customer service.

Back