• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 ‘22 taking on water in engine comp and ski locker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noob here - my husband passed this winter so I am figuring this all out day by day

our ar195 hit something last year and damaged the reverse gate and some surrounding parts -parts did not all get into dealer until winter so it was stored there and then fixed this spring. Put it in last weekend - ran great during my first 3 hour boat lesson but at the end I did notice some water in the ski locker and removed it.
came back this weekend to a completely dead battery about 8 inches in the engine comp and ski locker
I am charging the battery and then going to bilge and try to look for where the water is coming from - thing is it has not gotten higher since I noticed.

looking for any advice and perhaps best way to check the plug ORING while docked.. a few other boaters in my park au

thanks in advance

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is the boat wet slipped? It sounds like it could be.

did it rain while you were away?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep is is wet slipped - I might have rained but not too much while away … however I first posted since it rained all day and it did not go up an inch in either compartment
I got the battery charger and bilged this am.. took her out twice once on plane it’s as all dry .. when I slow to dock some water comes in the ski locker ( maybe a cup or Two)… but not the engine compartment …

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay cool.

Did it have this water problem before the damage?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like rain. Doesn't take much rain to be noticeable in the bilge and ski locker. But 8 inches in the engine compartment is a lot. Would ne one heck of a sustained down pour to kill the battery and end up with 8 inches.

Are you sure your drain plug at the keel is in good and not leaking?

damaging the reverse gate and bucket should not have caused damage to the fiberglass/gelcoat, but did your keel get hit or AK?

What I would do personally, if it continues, is pull the boat out and put on trailer. Once bottom hull is dry underneath, I would put in a food coloring in the bilge, something that contrasts you hull. Then makes sure battery is off and bilge won't run. You may have to disconnect the negative battery cable of your battery terminal. Then start filling it with water. See if it is leaking out somewhere. You could do the same thing with the ski locker.

Used this technique more than once to trouble shoot others boats for leaks. One had a crack in the hull and the other there was an issue near the jet pump.

Of course, if you don't see the water build up again, it is a lot to go through to troubleshoot.

Last edited: