• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bait tank

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So this is what I came up with. Ran a plug on the side under the grab handle from ACC2 switch. Rides here fine and the handles are a great place for straps. It does block the changing room access but my fishing trips are 2 man affairs and I never had a changing room on any other boat. All other compartments can be opened and there is just enough room to walk around. IMG_2167 Large.jpeg
Cheers
Randy

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t remember the reason you did this as opposed to just using your live well?

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In my experience (and according to “experts”) blueback herring and gizzard shad won’t do well in a livewell with corners. They need to move constantly so a round tank lets them do that as opposed to getting all nosed into a corner. Our boats (and I/Os) compound this by heating the water. The aerator in the tank is more effective than spraying water on the surface. If you ever spent 3 hours chunking a net to catch bait you want to take care of ‘em. Admittedly I’m buying herring now but I really don’t think a livewell will do it.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree live white bait doesn't do well in our live wells, at least in any real volume.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
put a hinge on the seat cushion, cut hole under seat cushion, mount tank inside changing room.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
put a hinge on the seat cushion, cut hole under seat cushion, mount tank inside changing room.
I honestly considered something similar. But with rough water you can get some water splashing out of tank. I don’t think water and millions of fish scales are compatible with the electronics down there.
Cheers
Randy

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you at least tried using your boats live well for that bait? The way the live well works on your boat is that constantly pulls in water from under the boat and pumps it into the live well and then it flows out the top of the riser, so in theory it should keep the live well at the same temp as the surrounding water.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So the guy who taught me how to throw a cast net and fish with live bait insisted on a bait tank. I put a dozen or so shad in the livewell of my first bass boat and after a few hours they were red nosed and not real lively. The bait shop where I currently buy herring insist a tank is necessary. That would be the extent of my research.I’ve just taken it as a given that bait tank companies exist for a reason. I asked ChatGPT and got the following: (ps - gizzard shad and blueback herring are very close to the same thing)

While a round bait tank is not strictly necessary to keep gizzard shad, it can be beneficial for several reasons. Gizzard shad are commonly used as live bait for fishing, especially for species like catfish. Here are some considerations:

1. Circulation: Round tanks often provide better water circulation compared to square or rectangular tanks. Good water circulation is important for maintaining water quality and ensuring that oxygen is distributed evenly throughout the tank.
  2. Avoiding corners: Round tanks lack sharp corners, which can be advantageous when dealing with delicate baitfish like gizzard shad. Corners can create dead spots where water circulation is limited, and fish may become stressed or trapped.
  3. Reducing stress: The absence of corners in round tanks can help reduce stress on the fish. Gizzard shad can be sensitive, and stress can negatively impact their health. A round tank minimizes areas where fish may feel cornered or threatened.
  4. Easy netting: When it comes time to catch or net the baitfish, a round tank can be more user-friendly. There are no corners for the fish to hide in, making it easier to catch them without injuring them in the process.
While a round bait tank may offer some advantages, it's important to note that other factors such as water quality, temperature control, and appropriate nutrition are equally crucial for keeping gizzard shad healthy in captivity. Regardless of the tank shape, maintaining optimal conditions for your baitfish is key to their well-being.
Cheers
Randy