• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery outdoor power equipment

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't bought the edger yet. The string trimmer actually does a really good job at edging too. I'll probably pick up the edger eventually, but I figured that could be the use I leave to the old 2 stroke until it does and as it's needed. I have to admit, I'm very surprised by how well the string trimmer does for this kinda stuff. Much better than the old gasser. I used it to clean up around the sprinklers and it tore through that stuff way better than the gasser did. It's like it's imparting more force into the weeds or something.

I actually bought a pack of LED headband lights to use with this stuff. It being so quiet means I can do it at dusk when the kids are down and it's no big deal. Gets a little dark, so the head lights should help with doing the string trimming and blowing to finish the job off. The mower has headlights, but they're not like, car headlights lol. They definitely make a difference, but they're not gonna light up the whole yard, more like right in front of you so you can make not hit something.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point on the Edger. Since it doesn't come with an addtional battery or discount, no point in getting it now. I will keep my echo gas one.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also wondering if it will have a big impact on my electric bill.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You bet.

I bought the below.

Each of these comes with an extra battery free, the mower a 5 Ah, and the trimmer and blower a 2.5Ah. That's on top of the batteries that come with them normally in the kits, so if you buy them in store, make sure they ring those extra batteries up as well (my stores had them locked up at customer service).

You can get the 7.5Ah one for like $150 less and it's probably fine, but I went for the 10Ah model because the warranty on the 10Ah battery is longer and I was terrified of running out of juice after my Atlas experience. I think the mower is identical in the 10Ah and 7.5Ah kits though.
Alright. I am going to go and try it out based upon everyone's feed back. Going to buy the exact same three items.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bare tools are good buys sometimes, don't overbuy batteries if you don't need them. I have around .75acre, and a 5aH battery will last me a couple weeks with weekly trimming, blowing, etc. I have 2 5aHs and 1 2.5aH, and its way more than is needed for the accessory tools (lawnmower is different brand).

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, got all three and each offered an additional battery free.

1711127129604.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And Then we got 6 inches of snow this morning....... LMAO

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bare tools are good buys sometimes, don't overbuy batteries if you don't need them. I have around .75acre, and a 5aH battery will last me a couple weeks with weekly trimming, blowing, etc. I have 2 5aHs and 1 2.5aH, and its way more than is needed for the accessory tools (lawnmower is different brand).
Came with 3 extra batteries for all three.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And Then we got 6 inches of snow this morning....... LMAO
You're in luck, those guys make snowmowers! Single AND 2-stage!

My buddy's 30-year old snowmower started smoking today, not sure if he's willing to take it apart to fix it, or what he's planning to do. Should be a relatively easy fix, but he's not the kind to know where to start to tackle such stuff without help, and with the age of this one, he may just put off doing anything and buying new next year.

Given the current cost of battery powered snowmowers, to replace a gasser with one is more for the guys who can't/won't tinker with the carbs, and are beyond frustrated with service times when they need it. That's the one huge benefit of electrics, but for the same cost, for our areas, I'd rather jump up to a 3-stage or go with a new 2-stage and single stage for the same cost, and be covered for whatever comes at me.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I am not giving up my Toro gas Snowblower any time soon.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got about 1/3 acre. I blew an almost new honda lawnmower engine and decided to take the plung with the ego lawnmower. Initially I thought it was OK but then notice a couple of things. The width of the handle is too narrow and very uncomfortable. Also the distance of the handle from the mower body. You walk too close to the mower and can hit your feet on it. It's also more difficult to navigate. When I first got it I could mow my entire yard with relative easy. After the first season I could barely get the back yard. If it's hot outside it will cut your battery 50%. I found a replacement engine for my Honda for $350 and just dropped it in with 4 bolts. One of the easiest things I've ever done. I now use the gas mower.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I find my Ryobi battery mower to be pretty comfortable to use, although not as much as the big cushioned seat on my Deere ride-on. 😀

Jim

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm slightly biased since I worked for a Kubota and Deere dealer which both carried Stihl products and I have several of their products including hand blowers, hedge trimmers, a string trimmer and one of the push mowers.
We took the mower up to our seasonal camp spot and it does a decent job mowing grass but I still prefer the gas mower for leaf collection and chopping. All of the other hand held items have held up well and have good power for the tasks. I have a gas back pack blower and a gas hand blower vac for work at home as the battery blower is also up at camp.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the Ego Blower yesterday. It did a fantastic job, better than I expected. The turbo mode is great. So far pleased.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm slightly biased since I worked for a Kubota and Deere dealer which both carried Stihl products and I have several of their products including hand blowers, hedge trimmers, a string trimmer and one of the push mowers.
We took the mower up to our seasonal camp spot and it does a decent job mowing grass but I still prefer the gas mower for leaf collection and chopping. All of the other hand held items have held up well and have good power for the tasks. I have a gas back pack blower and a gas hand blower vac for work at home as the battery blower is also up at camp.
"M's" in p.a. is awesome! They get stuff to Arizona in 2 days.
I need a set of gear box safety switches and a seat safety switch, 2012 L3800DT for spares. Shuttle lever switches are new and I have a good spare of those.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"M's" in p.a. is awesome! They get stuff to Arizona in 2 days.
I need a set of gear box safety switches and a seat safety switch, 2012 L3800DT for spares. Shuttle lever switches are new and I have a good spare of those.
Yes, Messicks does ship the parts out quickly and they always seems to have a very impressive inventory.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m surprised at the number of people who buy their Deere ride-on mowers at the big box hardware stores. Got mine at the local Deere dealer for the same price and they have parts and will service my mower if needed.

Jim

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m surprised at the number of people who buy their Deere ride-on mowers at the big box hardware stores. Got mine at the local Deere dealer for the same price and they have parts and will service my mower if needed.

Jim
I think it's easier for folks to throw them on a credit card for free financing or a percentage discount from the credit card if they buy from a big box. It might also be the intimidation factor for some, which is silly to me, as those are the guys you'll take your stuff to when it's broke, so you see just how helpful some of those places can be. Problem is, if you've got a shite power equipment dealer in your area, or even a shite employee you always end up dealing with, they only serve to reinforce that reluctance. There's a place I no longer go to, as they had 2 of the biggest jerks working there, who happened to be related to the owner, so they weren't ever going to be fired. They were jerks when I worked for a large landscape company and went to them, and they were jerks when I brought my Honda mower in to them for a warranty engine replacement. If they weren't the place I was forced to deal with from Honda, I'd have never gone there.

I agree with you though, they're a better experience usually, and you'll also not get a model that's big-box-specific, which is a good thing.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jim
They are likely required to service a John Deer mower even if it's bought at big box store. Could just be convenience for some people. The big box stores give discounts that that the John Deer dealer might not give, like military. My sister in law saves a butt load on stuff with the military discount.