• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Queston?

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
So currently on my 23 Yamaha 255 FSH I have 2 amps running 10 speakers. I'm adding another JL 800/8 amp to power 4 JL 8.8's & a hornblasters shocker XL train horns. Down the road I MAY add power poles and a trolling motor.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to add a battery to run the additional amp and speakers I'm having installed next week? If so would you run optima blue tops or something else?

2) IF I add the trolling motor and possibly power poles what would I need for a battery setup to power all of that equipment?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I put an xs power xp3000 battery solely for running my sound system. I set it up separate from the boat power system and I have to plug it in to recharge. The only thing on that battery is the amps and I am able to get 6+ hours with about 90% volume and it has yet to die on me. I kept killing my house battery before this, that battery is made specifically for sound systems it has not cranking power.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Before you can make a decision about battery requirements you need to know what the consumption is, anything else will just be a guess and will likely lead to less than stellar results. Get a Victron smart shunt so you can measure how much power that system draws so you can make an educated decision on how much battery you need, and do the job once with a great degree of success.

The trolling motor will be a stand alone system with its own battery bank and charger. This system also needs a smart shunt so you can know how many amp hours you’ve drawn. I highly recommend going with Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries and Victron IP67 battery chargers.

Look at the battery upgrade thread that is linked in my signature for a thorough explanation of going with LiFePO4 batteries.

If you are not going to go with LiFePO4 batteries then don’t waste your money on high end batteries, get standard flooded lead acid for the best economy and performance and or sealed AGM style for the least amount of maintenance. But do go with high end Victron energy IP67 battery chargers no matter which batteries you go with.

Again, go and check out the thread I did on upgrading my batteries there’s a ton of info there.