• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Wiring Issue - SYS 0.0V

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just getting to my boat for the season and was reinstalling both my batteries. In the fall I always tie my house wires together but this year something is wrong. Boat starts, stereo is fine, but getting a voltage comm error and the SYS is showing 0.0v. House is showing 12.x. I tested both with a multimeter and both at 12.x.

Can’t figure out what I did wrong. I have the positive from the switch coming from start switch to start battery. 3 negatives from within the boat to start batt negative. labeled little TCR black to start. Then 1 more black that connects the 2 batts. Everything else to house. Took some pics to hopefully gain some @HELP with the issue. Already burned a night out, hoping some smart guys like @Mainah will chime in quick. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have two batteries or three?

However you resolve this I would put terminals on the bare wires connecting to one of your positives. Or even better add a fuse box and fuse those connections whatever they are.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Two batteries. Yeah, I agree on terminals. I got a mess right now and no stores near the lake with that stuff. Ordering on Amazon now!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two batteries. Yeah, I agree on terminals. I got a mess right now and no stores near the lake with that stuff. Ordering on Amazon now!
So you have two batteries total and you use both as house batteries?

I do something similar with my house load switched by a low voltage disconnect. https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-unusual-alternate-dual-battery-setup.5632/

I have all my house loads beyond the fused factory house circuit connected through one of these https://amzn.to/46FvrGn

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Because of your question, I reread my original and updated, it was a little confusing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you have three batteries.

Where are the two engine positives and negatives connected?

Is ground connected across all three batteries?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All the grounds should be connected.

Both engine grounds should be on the start battery, then a jumper from the start battery ground to the house batterie(s) ground which are also tied together, dvsr ground tied to start battery, accessory or house loads ground landed on house battery. While I need to do this too, all of the negatives should be landed on a common bus, with only one main ground wire attached to each battery, and accessory / house grounds attached to the ground bus.

Both positives from the engine should be landed on the start battery.

Accessory / house loads positive landed on the house battery.