• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Better Floor Locker Door now!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was aggravated with the stupid floor locker door that wouldn't open all the way. It was a PITA to try and get stuff out with the door half closed. Today I replaced the gas strut with one that has a 3" longer reach and problem solved! Life is good now. Before and after pics enclosed.

Floor Door Before.jpg
Floor Door After.jpg

@subysti - Do you have a manufacturer and part number for the new strut? That looks like a great mod.

Thank you for finding that solution. I can't stand that half-open door.

I will see what I have. The strut I used was an extra I had from the hot tub cover lifter and it was just the right size.

Great job! I never realized that was an issue on the newer boats.

Nice work. There's so many different sizes and strengths of those struts, you lucked out that you happened to already have the right one. That's great.

Wow that is a terrible original design. I can't believe they are leaving the factory that way...

I agree, Bryan. I was shocked to see that picture too.

Yeah that would drive me nuts too. Older models didn't have that issue, odd they would change it that way.

Wow that is a terrible original design. I can't believe they are leaving the factory that way...
Agree!

Attention @Yamaha-Engineering !!!

Wow. Guy that designed that otta have his ass removed. What a moron.

Getting a tube in it is a pita as it's designed, interested in the overall open length in your gas strut also. Great idea

Nice improvement. My locker doesn't have any strut which is an even worse design. I keep meaning to add a strut or a T-H Marine Support spring.

That is a g
I was aggravated with the stupid floor locker door that wouldn't open all the way. It was a PITA to try and get stuff out with the door half closed. Today I replaced the gas strut with one that has a 3" longer reach and problem solved! Life is good now. Before and after pics enclosed.

View attachment 23425
View attachment 23426[/that is a great idea I was battling that just last night. Also my drain plug in there won't screw in I'm not sure why it would need to be in if water enters I want it to drain but I wander if that being open is a problem

@jwells - You want all of your drain plugs in when you are in the water. If the outer hull should ever take on water, you don't want it filling up your ski locker too. The idea is "compartmentalization" much like the Titanic had. Oh... Wait... Bad example. o_O

My '12 SX240 locker strut is ok, but...the head closet door doesn't open all the way like the 230 door did. So if it is open, you can't walk by it. I use the head closet for storage more than as a head. I am forced to get things out and can't set them aside, as I am in the way. So it is a pull it out while I am backing into the cockpit to set it down, then go back to the closet. On the 230, the door would open all the way to the wall forward of the closet opening. That is less useful than it used to be too. Yamaha...if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If it is broke, your going to hear about it here!

Mine opens almost all the way. Not as far as the 13 ls I had though. Yamaha must have different size struts they are using and don't pay as much attention as they should on which one they're installing.

Mine opens almost all the way. Not as far as the 13 ls I had though. Yamaha must have different size struts they are using and don't pay as much attention as they should on which one they're installing.

I'm guessing it may have more to do with the installer not installing in the same location every time.

EDIT - The G23 model (20 inches) maybe too long.

It opens the hatch to the point where it is pressing against the wind dam guide. It puts pressure onto my Seadek.

Might not be an issue with carpet, but I am contemplating solutions.

Just got back from Camping World and got a 20 inch 40lb gas spring. Rv Designer #23 (Search "Gas Prop" on Camping World's website). One minute install and opens up a whole new world.

Maybe could get away with an 18-19 inch, but 20 works. It opens the hatch all the way to the stop on the bottom of the day head door.

I like it.

Last edited:
Back