• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going with the group for the camaraderie, mainly. Navigationally, it's a no-brainer. It is nice to know you're with a group if something unexpected happens, but obviously you can't count on other people to save you if they're dealing with the same circumstances you are. So plan for the worst and hope for the best. I personally am going to try to find somebody to buddy system with. I look out for them; they look out for me, but neither of us is dependent upon the other.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
For those of you that have Allstate - it looks to me that their policy has within the US or Canada or within 100 Nautical Miles of the coast - which covers Bimini. I don't see an international waters limitation but curious if others have Allstate that can confirm this.
Allstate here and they gave greenlight for Bahamas coverage as it is within 100 miles coastal us waters.

EDIT. After going they the whole posts I need to rethink my trust policy with insurance companies and take it in writing in the policy the word "Bahamas"

Last edited:

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did have to get towed back from the 2017 crossing. I had some minor hull damage from the crossing to Bimini that was causing the boat to take on water. I could have driven the boat back to FL but I didn't want to take the chance. It turned out that the trip back to FL the water was beautiful (compared to the trip to Bimini). Boatus did cover the tow back (~$7K) and the repair (~$3K). Still I can't wait for the 2018 crossing although I hope we have better seas. Heres why

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Edgar Almonte based on the video, it looks like your family was the only family that enjoyed the crossing to Bimini.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice job Edgar, I enjoyed watching. So was the hull damage from the seas or those rocks coming into The Sands? ;)

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think this is my problem and you are correct it is a dangerous way to look at it and now that you have said it it made me think am I looking at it that way and I probably am. Maybe that's why my train of thought is skewed versus others. This trip for the last two years has basically just been the first leg of our journey so maybe others should take my advice with a grain of salt as you are correct it is a dangerous way to look at it but its hard for me to get passe that thought right now lol.
You are the one that rode your ski over 100 miles across the ocean without a life jacket because you forgot to put it on. hahaha

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Research shake siphon. This is what I use. Super fast. No hanging over the side. Inexpensive and easy to store.
I saw it at the Houston boat show. They had them in different sizes and flow rates. One went up to 10gpm. And they were half price.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are the one that rode your ski over 100 miles across the ocean without a life jacket because you forgot to put it on. hahaha
You are correct I probably should not be giving safety advice lol. I could be wrong but wasn't it 140 miles of ocean riding with no life jacket on my ski Treasure Cay to West End I remember I was going to grab it off Issac's boat in Spanish Cay but forgot it again.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct I probably should not be giving safety advice lol. I could be wrong but wasn't it 140 miles of ocean riding with no life jacket on my ski Treasure Cay to West End I remember I was going to grab it off Issac's boat in Spanish Cay but forgot it again.
You guys are nuts.
140miles on a ski... I wouldn't need a life jacket!
I would need a stretcher.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did have to get towed back from the 2017 crossing. I had some minor hull damage from the crossing to Bimini that was causing the boat to take on water. I could have driven the boat back to FL but I didn't want to take the chance. It turned out that the trip back to FL the water was beautiful (compared to the trip to Bimini). Boatus did cover the tow back (~$7K) and the repair (~$3K). Still I can't wait for the 2018 crossing although I hope we have better seas. Heres why
This brings back some memories, LOL...
@Edgar Almonte My hero!

Edgar's graciously offered to transport my fallen tower back to mainland - in lieu of his BoatUS tow. Saved us several $k as a freight/shipment would incur ridiculous prices and fees we were quoted. What a nightmare.

That was after several of us there tried for hours in vain to place the tower somehow inside my boat which proved impossible as it is too large and too heavy.
upload_2018-1-10_18-31-6.png

We ended up strapping it to Edgar's tower and his towing company delivered it - Thank you Edgar!
upload_2018-1-10_18-32-18.png
upload_2018-1-10_18-32-49.png

Edgar and his family refused to take any money from us, never charged us anything.
What can I say! He's The Man.

The rest of the way - the tower traveled inside my boat again - like this (below) - which was okay for the highway but would have been way too unstable for ocean crossing.
upload_2018-1-10_18-29-28.png

--

Last edited:

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Did is sound like a "Land Ahoy , Land Ahoy" with Greek accent LOL. Sarah told me that I was screaming like a little kid on Christmas day

It was @Edgar Almonte who got towed back to Florida and transported a portion of @swatski boat too. LOL
Yes!!!
Your voice was music to my ears @Betik !!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Seeing yours has me worried. Im looking at a 255 scarab right now and it has the same looking tower. My 195 screws in from the side. I kinda like that better as it doesnt have the pulling action.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seeing yours has me worried. Im looking at a 255 scarab right now and it has the same looking tower. My 195 screws in from the side. I kinda like that better as it doesnt have the pulling action.
You wan to check with @Rick215HO on potential weakness on your boat. I don't think the tower is the Achilles heel on that boat.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't believe its the same tower even in the older models. Also the new 255 tower is solid. It is backwards and mounted on shocks, so even if the lock pins failed (difficult in my opinion) it would not slam down. The base is rigid and the tower pivots higher in the structure.

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice job Edgar, I enjoyed watching. So was the hull damage from the seas or those rocks coming into The Sands? ;)
The hull damage was from the rough seas crossing to Bimini. At first I thought I must have hit something in the water but the marina that fixed it for me said they had seen that type of damage before and that it is caused from bouncing in rough waters. The bilge pump would turn on every 15 minutes or so but it was enough to keep the boat from flooding. Attached is what the damage looked like...

Attachments

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The hull damage was from the rough seas crossing to Bimini. At first I thought I must have hit something in the water but the marina that fixed it for me said they had seen that type of damage before and that it is caused from bouncing in rough waters. The bilge pump would turn on every 15 minutes or so but it was enough to keep the boat from flooding. Attached is what the damage looked like...
@Edgar Almonte Just curious. Did you have a keel guard ? I always have the funny feeling that a keel guard absorbs most of the shock from all the bouncing. I might be wrong.