• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was actually refereeing prior to the storm when you were singing "should I stay or should I go!" During the storm the only think I could hear was my heard biting inside my eardrums. LOL

It is hard for me to admit that once you hear a sexy voice on the radio once, it is inside your head all the time. Kind like you have a crush on @latitudeadjuster voice....
Speaking of "sex" I wish you could elaborate a little bit more on the subject "shooting stuff while having sex on moving vehicles/vehicles" . I am far more interested to learn about this subject over the VHF.

Note: when I saw @Drift Away being towed outside Bimini Sands it definitely looks like was pissed off for having missed 4 hours in paradise. LOL

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was actually refereeing prior to the storm when you were singing "should I stay or should I go!" During the storm the only think I could hear was my heard biting inside my eardrums. LOL

It is hard for me to admit that once you hear a sexy voice on the radio once, it is inside your head all the time. Kind like you have a crush on @latitudeadjuster voice....
Speaking of "sex" I wish you could elaborate a little bit more on the subject "shooting stuff while having sex on moving vehicles/vehicles" . I am far more interested to learn about this subject over the VHF.

Note: when I saw @Drift Away being towed outside Bimini Sands it definitely looks like was pissed off for having missed 4 hours in paradise. LOL
Hey better to be pulled in their in Bimini than the dock here in Tampa. I dont pay all that money for sea tow for nothing. Thanks to @wallacerb @Bruce and @biminibrad no need for the sea tow just lots of gas a few ropes and a VERY stiff glass of bourbon. But for real anyone going BUY A MOUNTED RADIO.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The guys here are giving you good information, so not much to add, I'll just chime in with my own take on it.

Being lost in the international waters is no joke, and it can happen on this trip.

It helps to entertain various scenarios, but at the end of the day it is like everything else - nothing will prepare you other than actual experience. so, if you have a chance to get out there and do some ocean boating, even if only for a weekend or whatever, by all means do it. It is like driving a car, shooting guns, or having sex - the ideas we have about those things vs the actual experience when you are doing it can be two entirely different things.
(at least that's been the story of my life, LOL, LOL :), YMMV of course! LOL)
The state of mind is usually a critical part of being able to pull through, get out on the other end, and still enjoy the experience. For me a really good example is @Drift Away and his crew - who got into a pretty sticky situation at some point during the 2017 crossing (well... literally "drifting away"!) - but they remained calm and positive, didn't panic, did not push the "button" (avoiding a nasty bill that would inevitably accompany an emergency call/CG rescue), and ended up getting help, pulling through and having a blast (in tropical paradise) for the remainder of the week. To me - what they did was the smartest thing to do - by simply remaining calm and being patient. I believe @Drift Away is out in the ocean all the time, so for him it was a natural thing to do, think strait and do not panic.

The Strait of Florida weather patterns are pretty crazy and there is no rhyme or reason to small storm cells popping up here and there - out of nowhere - when the pattern is active. Without an on-board radar, that none of us typically uses, if you get hit - you get hit. Last year my group got hit pretty hard soon after coming out of the inlet, even though we tried to run around it for a little bit which was not really possible.

If the waves are in the 4-6ft range the visibility in our boats is compromised and you just can not see much at all past some bigger rollers, so it is very easy to become disoriented and confused - if one is not watching a working plotter/compass (stationary, marine grade is a must IMO). When the storm got bad, the visibility became zero and I mean - I could see my GPS plotter from like literally 10 inches away - that was about it. One can hear nothing (through the storm and lightning) standing on the deck - and there is absolutely no way to communicate through the radio (stationary or hand held, in my boat) in those sorts of conditions (unless you are inside a cabin you just won't hear a thing). For us - it lasted maybe 30-40min? (something like that - while we got separated from my group).

(now - I also had some technical issues with my boat that I had to deal with on top of all that, but that's a different story)

When we emerged from the storm cell, we failed to get in touch with anyone in my group or the next group up albeit apparently @Betik could hear me... So, we just continued on our own, and that was okay - basically - you must be prepared to be separated/lost from a group. I like @Andy S idea of the buddy system, would probably work better than larger groups. But at the end of the day - you may still find yourself alone - and it is a big ocean out there and can feel very lonely. I have always personally loved that aspect of ocean boating - the enormity of the ocean and the feel of how small and insignificant we are when out there, out of the comfort of our back yard, really wanted my kids to experience that. Which they did, and loved it - so that was a great trip for us.

--
I had faith in @wallacerb to not leave us out there. We had the EPIRB out, Flares, hand held radio, and a cell phone. If you get in a pinch do not be scared to turn on your cell. The $9 phone call to rob was the major thing that got us found. Make sure you got someone next to you that knows your number amd is going to look out for your no matter what.

Do not be Afraid to make the call to turn around once you leave FL. Rob is a retired USMC and i am a active duty Army guy with 18 years in. Both have balls of steel amd nither want to be "that guy" to be the one who pulls the plug and cost a day in Bimini. Thats what we should have done but its not worth putting you boat or family/crew at rish

Ismael hernandez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any dates or discussion for Bimini 2018? looking to make my 1st trip with 3 friends. Never boated in the open seas before, just lakes and rivers. I am going to trailer down to (??????) from NC and leave truck and trailer at (??????) and make the trip. Looking for dates and a group to go with. Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!
First time too.i would love to make the trip. I don’t have a jetboat does it matter?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Berrie I am not sure if you have noticed but @Amar Nanduri is looking for excuses to spend money. ;)
No such luck @Betik . The boss has me on a tight leash as far as spending is concerned. I have been looking to buy motorbikes for me and my son but no go for this year. I did however get the greenlight on motorbikes for the next year :)

Last edited:

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had faith in @wallacerb to not leave us out there. We had the EPIRB out, Flares, hand held radio, and a cell phone. If you get in a pinch do not be scared to turn on your cell. The $9 phone call to rob was the major thing that got us found. Make sure you got someone next to you that knows your number amd is going to look out for your no matter what.

Do not be Afraid to make the call to turn around once you leave FL. Rob is a retired USMC and i am a active duty Army guy with 18 years in. Both have balls of steel amd nither want to be "that guy" to be the one who pulls the plug and cost a day in Bimini. Thats what we should have done but its not worth putting you boat or family/crew at rish
Concur... the cost of a radio, antenna and GPS is very small compared to the alternative.. i always use the 4x4 truck analogy, its expensive until that 1 time you really need it... and that 1 time is when it pays for itself...

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No such luck @Betik . The boss has me on a tight leash as far as spending is concerned. I have been looking to buy motorbikes for me and my son but no go for this year. I did however get the greenlight on motorbikes for the next year :)
Ha I know that 'next year' song. Kinda like that sign at the local pub "tomorrow free beer" :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How does one become separated from the group?
The boat we rescued ran out of gas. The group left them as there was nothing else they could do. They had no reserve cans, and towing them would have meant that 2 boats ran out of gas. So the bottom line is that although going in a group is safer, you also have to be prepared to either abandon you boat, or go it alone. In this case, the family transfered their kids to another boat and road it out on their own. We were able to find them and assist because they had a full size radio. An EPIRB, sat phone etc would have also accomplished the same thing....but would have been more involved.

Spend the $300 for the fixed mount.
You may be more comfortable going on an excursion alone while in Bimini with it installed.
I agree. It isn't much money, and is standard equipment I wouldn't go without.

how many of the people who have DSC capable VHFs have actually taken the time to register and set the DSC up
I did, it was easy.

Did the group make any attempt to notify someone else that you could be in peril?
When the shit hits the fan, it is each boat for themselves. In this scenario when a big storm blows up, you are focused on your own boat first and not the other boats. That said, it would be good to have some better coordination of what to do in the event of this sort of thing. Having a full size, full power radio would make it easier to pull the group back together after a storm. It also points out the importance of knowing how to use your navigation equipment and not being totally reliant on the group leader. Each boat should be prepared to take the lead or navigate alone.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat we rescued ran out of gas. The group left them as there was nothing else they could do. They had no reserve cans, and towing them would have meant that 2 boats ran out of gas. So the bottom line is that although going in a group is safer, you also have to be prepared to either abandon you boat, or go it alone. In this case, the family transfered their kids to another boat and road it out on their own. We were able to find them and assist because they had a full size radio. An EPIRB, sat phone etc would have also accomplished the same thing....but would have been more involved.

I agree. It isn't much money, and is standard equipment I wouldn't go without.

I did, it was easy.

When the shit hits the fan, it is each boat for themselves. In this scenario when a big storm blows up, you are focused on your own boat first and not the other boats. That said, it would be good to have some better coordination of what to do in the event of this sort of thing. Having a full size, full power radio would make it easier to pull the group back together after a storm. It also points out the importance of knowing how to use your navigation equipment and not being totally reliant on the group leader. Each boat should be prepared to take the lead or navigate alone.
If you have to leave someone for what ever reason. Hit the point button in your gps or at least get a grid square they are in so once you go get fuel or what ever youll have an ideal where they are. We floated almost 10 miles after we ran out but if people whould have know where we stopped could have been eaiser to find us.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have to leave someone for what ever reason. Hit the point button in your gps or at least get a grid square they are in so once you go get fuel or what ever youll have an ideal where they are. We floated almost 10 miles after we ran out but if people whould have know where we stopped could have been eaiser to find us.
Definitely need to have a better process for handling boats that run out of fuel. First recommendation I have...everyone bring their own extra fuel. 2nd recommendation, as Drift Away points out, have a good process for what the team leader/group members should do in the event this happens (mark their coordinates, relay info to following groups that might have gas, stay in radio contact as long as possible and keep getting coordinate updates to make delivering gas easier).

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The candor and feedback has been great. This has brought a lot of clarity on what to expect for me and hopefully others as well. To be clear I am experienced in solo rough seas ocean trips that require a refuel, just nothing that took me more than 5 miles offshore though. I can navigate well on land or water, and handle just about anything thrown my way. I have never been in a true every man for himself situation but I know I would look out for my family above all else. Again the answers to the questions I posed along this vein have helped me understand the environment everyone was dealing with better. Most importantly at the end of the day everyone was helped and accounted for.

I don’t have a problem spending money on things that are needed. At 40 I also don’t want to be throwing away money in the years prior to retirement with kids in college on my dime. I now fully believe that a fixed VHF is a must have for me (more money well spent thanks to this group with no end in sight). I also gather that while last years crossing was very rough at the time it is also an adventure that some relish to this day. I am looking forward to it.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We may want to consider a single VHF channel, instead of several.
and keep comms to a minimum unless help is needed.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We may want to consider a single VHF channel, instead of several.
and keep comms to a minimum unless help is needed.
I agree....have a single channel for the crossing, and if an extended discussion is needed, switch channels - chat - then switch back.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
One thing that is not stressed enough is BEING FLEXIBLE ON OUR DEPARTURE !
Last year I ignored my gut feeling about crossing on Sunday instead of the original plan for Monday...
There was better weather/waves on Sunday vs Monday.
I don't believe I will do that again...

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree....have a single channel for the crossing, and if an extended discussion is needed, switch channels - chat - then switch back.
I disagree. People will start chatting on other channels and not hear calls for help.
Not so much an issue when it's rough, but when it's fairly smooth and someone sucks in some weed or string or plastic they may call for help or a pause and others won't hear it. Being on the same (group) channel is a must in my opinion.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last year I ignored my gut feeling about crossing on Sunday instead of the original plan for Monday...
^^^^^^ This. We left Treasure Cay a day early last summer to get a good weather window. The mostly smooth ride was well worth it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is an idea stemming from my service experience. One boat in each group being responsible for communications having at least one fixed and one handheld. Handheld on group channel with the rest of the group and fixed on main channel. Ideally a dedicated RO (radio operator) in the vessel for this task. To top it off someone from the middle group as communications chief responsible for logging when groups leave the LZ, pass predefined check points with all accounted for, and finally arrive on station.

Perhaps a bit complex but with dedicated folks for dedicated tasks it can be accomplished. Just throwing it out there.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I told my wife that would be an absolute especially because of the drive distance i have