• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Allison Kasper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ThatJeepGuy ...... I know! We will definitely have to do a night by the pool again! I hope you guys are doing good?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik,
I hope this is the year that you discover that there is far more to Bimini than how many times you were airborne on the crossing.
....but I liked being airborne and I had a separation anxiety with "propless"

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Just in case it’s needed, I don’t live too far from I 95 in Daytona, I have a big yard and a carport that anyone is welcome to leave their boat in if needed/wanted. I keep my Jeep on the other side of the house and my ski in the garage so it wouldn’t be in the way at all.2B0BB71A-A8B9-43A6-807D-A885403261AA.png

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes - I have it and subscribe it to it. It will give you live weather radar, wether forecast (temp/wind), sea conditions, weather warnings, sea temp, etc. It is worth activating if you ask me. In the winter they let you suspend the account until boating season starts again.
I forgot to mention something regarding this... If you have a Garmin Chartplotter (GPSMAP series) with WiFi it will pull the weather information from your cell phone signal and overlay the WX radar on your chart. You just need to install the Garmin app on the phone. You need cell signal for this whereas XM is independent of cell signal.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to mention something regarding this... If you have a Garmin Chartplotter (GPSMAP series) with WiFi it will pull the weather information from your cell phone signal and overlay the WX radar on your chart. You just need to install the Garmin app on the phone. You need cell signal for this whereas XM is independent of cell signal.
Will this work on the gpsmap 78sc

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I've been busy unpacking boxes and moving into our new house.
It's good to see this type of discussion...
Rather than give separate replies to those who've tagged me in this thread, I'll just do one post.
@Mainah, I used the setup that you referenced ( https://jetboaters.net/threads/supe...older-and-vhf-antenna-holder-all-in-one.9172/ ) in the 2016 crossing, and I don't recommend it. I hoped that the fixed antenna would give me more range with my handheld. It may have helped with receiving, but in the end it seemed like I was still limited by the 6 watt power output of the handheld for sending. @Betik, you are correct where in another post, you mentioned that during my approach to Bimini in 2016, I could hear Bruce hailing me from Bimini Sands, but he could not hear my response. @Mainah, you are also correct in that the radio hanging from the bimini was not ideal. It collided with my forehead quite a few times before the factory clip slipped out of its slot. The radio eventually let loose from the bimini, and ended up hanging from the antenna cable during the crossing.
I upgraded to using two radios in 2017.
1. For group-channel monitoring/comm: I clipped a 6 watt handheld to my life vest. I used a single-ear boom-style headset. Here is the handheld that I used: http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&DivisionID=3&ProdCatID=85&ProdID=1791
Key features of the handheld are the power (6W), waterproof, floating, clips to vest, and accommodates a headset (you can't get a headset for most handhelds).
Here is the headset that I used: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/standard-horizon--ssm-64a-headset-with-vox-and-ptt--17674227
2. Channel 16 monitoring: I used a fixed vhf to monitor channel 16 during the 2017 crossing.
Here's the radio that I have: http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=8E6B84CBCC75E5A9C52CA71AA33BA6F5&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0
The radio is installed to the right of my drivers seat, out of the way but within easy reach and view with the gps and speaker both facing up. I used a 4 foot antenna mounted on my wake tower. Here's the antenna I have: http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/5401-xt-little-giant/

In 2017, I had my group comm in my left ear via the headset while I monitored channel 16 with my right ear via the fixed vhf speaker.
What didn't work well:
1. Ambient noise. With respect to the group-level communication, the ambient noise at both ends of the communication made it nearly impossible to understand what was being said. When I heard something come through my handheld's headset (which works infinitely better than with no headset if you need to drive the boat at the same time), I dropped off plane and reduced RPMs to minimize the noise level at my end, and I usually asked the sender to repeat what they said. Even doing this, I could still barely comprehend what was being said due to the amount of noise being transmitted by the sender (or maybe due to the quality/specs of their handheld). So, my big lesson learned here is that you should buy the best quality/spec handheld, and I think it's necessary for anybody involved in group-level communication to first minimize the ambient noise before speaking. Maybe even start their transmission out with some kind of request for everybody in the group to drop off plane and cut their RPMs before they transmit their message. Also, for boats that are using two vhf radios, it's important to recognize that you will generate feedback squeal if they're on the same channel and physically too close to each other. This was happening with one of the boats in my group in 2017.

2. Insufficient group-level comms: In 2017, I turned back 3 times within the first 6 miles when I was about to lose sight of the 2 skis and one of the boats in my group. I understand that it's really not practical for the skis to be using their vhf radio while getting pounded, but if the captain of a boat is having a problem, they need to get in touch with their group before they drop out of sight. Rough seas and stormy weather really limit visual contact, and trying to communicate your coordinates to your group so that they can come and help you is next to impossible in rough seas. Communicating your location to your group, and having them punch the coordinates into their nav system is dangerous and likely impossible with our boats in rough seas. You need to be in contact with your group before they lose sight of you.

In conclusion, with respect to radios, I think that every boat should have a fixed and a handheld vhf. Although I thought I had things well covered with my setup, I lost a boat from my group who ran out of gas, and in fact, in the spirit of @chris24, I lost most of my group during the 2017 crossing... not one peep from anybody found its way to my radios to alert me that anybody was leaving the group. In fact, for most of the crossing, channel 16 was being used by the Coast Guard who was enroute to assist a sinking vessel (don't think that it was one of our prop boats because it sounded like they were near Miami).

With respect to fuel.
I've crossed 3 times and I've never required extra fuel. I do not have trim tabs (which is important to note because I think that in most conditions a boat with tabs will get better fuel economy). Because I did not know my boat well, I brought extra fuel in 2015 and in 2016. The one thing that I know for sure is that there are many things that can impact fuel economy in our boats, the biggest being the wind/waves and our ability to stay on plane, and the wildcard is having an unknown issue pop up with your jet drive(s) that impacts efficiency. If I had extra fuel on board in 2017, I would likey have set a more comfortable pace, and I would likely not have lost most of my group. All of my crossings to Bimini have been rough, but my fuel consumption was different each time. From rough memory... In 2015 (brand new boat with 10 hrs), after running off plane more than on plane, I had zero fuel left upon arrival; this included turning back to give one of my extra fuel tanks to a boat that ran out about 5 miles away from Bimini. In 2016, my group was the last group and we were held-up due to problems with one of the boats, which resulted in us having a much rougher crossing than the groups ahead of us. I think that I had 15-17 gallons left in 2016. In 2017, I had about 5-6 gallons left. For reference, I think that my boat has a 50 gal tank and that the range is supposed to be around 120 miles on a smooth lake.

In conclusion, with respect to fuel, if I were to do the crossing again, I would bring extra fuel.

With respect to group size and setup, I think that small groups become a mess when the overall crossing consists of a large number of boats, which results in the groups getting all mixed up anyway, but I don't have a solution with respect to group size. The most basic thing though is that boats should run closer together, and if anybody sees another boat slow down/stop, take note and be ready to assist. This worked well in 2015. Also, in 2017, although she wasn't in my group, later in the crossing when all of the groups were mixed up, I saw @Valerie stop on her ski, so I took a few seconds to circle back and check on her. Similarly, @Betik swung by to check on me when I stopped so that Moose Jr and MiniMoose could take a piss. The one thing that I feel strongly about is that there should be a minimum equipment requirement for the crossing (fixed vhf, handheld vhf, and navigation) which will enable groups to be made up based on a boat's estimated crossing speed, as opposed to making sure that each group has at least one boat with a fixed vhf and navigation. For example, put the smaller boats and skis together because they'll cross at a slower speed in the usually expected rough conditions. Having slower boats mixed in with faster boats spreads-out the group, and puts fuel consumption in play for the faster boats if they can't stay on plane.

It's such a difficult topic to discuss. With no saltwater experience, I wouldn't have made this trip if I were not for the Jetboaters group. I did that first crossing with navigation, and just a handheld radio. I think that I was lucky to have made it without any issues. I know that everybody has their own risk tolerance, and although I did what I thought was best to prepare for each of my crossings, I've never felt completely comfortable because I always knew that there was a chance that I'd have to abandon my boat. Each of the three times that I've done the crossing have produced lessons learned for myself and for the group. There are just so many things that can happen. Nobody wants to be the guy that has to turn back, and despite everybody's best attempt to prepare for the crossing, you could always be the boat that runs into the unexpected. "It's only 55 miles." is a dangerous way to think of the crossing.
Ok, so why do people risk losing their boat (they're traveling in a group so their lives will be spared)?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, if you're going to Bimini in 2018, you can always have some fun catching a barracuda off of the three sisters rocks. Watch your fingers.
upload_2018-1-19_0-11-7.png

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Rick215HO
Can you give us details on which Garmin App ?
Active Captain ? Earthmate ?
Thanks

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Now I have to add to the anticipation!
I would have never gotten to experience 9FBC7DEB-56CF-4974-917F-A8D015B6006B.jpeg C1B05941-E03F-46D5-87E3-761AB97A7C79.jpeg B0080F86-B26D-4521-8ABC-92344D969EA2.jpeg the dolphin house if not for this group!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Rick215HO
Thanks
He’s probably talking about the new ActiveCaptain app. It is only working OK on my iPhone. I get a lot of disconnects when I’m out on the water. You basically create your own Wi-Fi network onboard using your plotter. Then connect your phone to it. Then the data supposed to stream from your phone to the plotter. I think we’re still a few updates from this being Reliable. But maybe the android version is better I’m using Apple.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh in order for ActiveCaptain to work on the new Garmin plotters you have to update to new 10.0 software.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't recall exactly when I did my last update or what version it was...
It was last year prior to Bimini I believe.
I didn't realize our Garmin Plotters could pull Weather info from our phones.
Does it pull info with out being prompted to ?

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
GPSMAP 7410/7610/7412/7612/7410xsv/7610xsv/7412xsv/7612xsv software version 10.10/3.50
as of November 7, 2017

Found it.
Looks like i'll need to update.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just an FYI before you do the update if you have any questionable map cards it will render them useless after three months

Gadiel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, so why do people risk losing their boat (they're traveling in a group so their lives will be spared)?
WOW can’t wait to go and create those beautiful memories with my family and friends!! That’s what’s all about for me!

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Rick215HO
Thanks
I believe it was called Garmin BlueChart when I used it, may have been replaced by the new Active Captain which I think consolidated Garmin Helm and Garmin Bluechart plus cloud support. It worked very well for me on iphone.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unfortunately garmin blue charts is discontinued if you still have it dont deleted I made this mistake. The new active captain app still has a lot of bugs to be worked out.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently saw a post in a sailing group about how an update of Garmin software led to a ~$150 necessity to purchase new maps. I believe this involved the mobile app.