• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Fling photos and videos.....post them up!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's some raw footage from our crossing. The worst part is not on video because it wasn't safe to be videoing at that time. No damage to the boat.
Leaving Port Everglades:

About 5 miles out (speed 15-20 mph, just trying to stay on plane):

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's some raw footage from our crossing. The worst part is not on video because it wasn't safe to be videoing at that time. No damage to the boat.
Leaving Port Everglades:
second video: You think Mattieu was making special effects to impress the chicks ? I almost lost my lunch watching that.

And at the end of that clip I think you mentioned out loud what several were probably thinking.. the words "turn back"

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
second video: You think Mattieu was making special effects to impress the chicks ? I almost lost my lunch watching that.

And at the end of that clip I think you mentioned out loud what several were probably thinking.. the words "turn back"
Ya, I had turned back twice by that point to try and convince the skis to turn back. They stuck with it, but unfortunately I had to leave them behind because I had to stay on plane and they couldn't keep pace.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya, I had turned back twice by that point to try and convince the skis to turn back. They stuck with it, but unfortunately I had to leave them behind because I had to stay on plane and they couldn't keep pace.
Oh dang, with so many participants there are lots and lots of stories that I haven't heard yet. They made it ok ?

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right on - I know we tried hard to stay with our group, but after the thunderstorm all I could do was just barely keep Glen in sight (most of the time), but with my silly windshield dangling, I dropped my speed just a tad and to lower than I liked. It was bounching like crazy and I was waiting for this sucker to fall off most of the way but it never did. Window retaining flange bent up 90 degrees, I had to beat that down and cover it with blue tape so it wouldn't cut through my towing cover.

DSCF0735.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG IMG_2135.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right on - I know we tried hard to stay with our group, but after the thunderstorm all I could do was just barely keep Glen in sight (most of the time), but with my silly windshield dangling, I dropped my speed just a tad and to lower than I liked. It was bounching like crazy and I was waiting for this sucker to fall off most of the way but it never did.

View attachment 61590
Long ride having to watch your window flop. You must have been exhausted.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long ride having to watch your window flop. You must have been exhausted.
It was tiring, but I think adrenaline kept me on my feet most of that day. Our crossing was almost exactly 4 hours. It was stressful waiting and wondering if that dang thing was going to explode when it was wedged in tight, it was a little relief when it fell free. I did try countless times to push it back though - whenever I thought the time was right, but I couldn't get it to budge. The windows on the newer 24's is just for looks, or something....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
but with my silly windshield dangling, I dropped my speed just a tad and to lower than I liked. It was bounching like crazy and I was waiting for this sucker to fall off most of the way but it never did.
Hah! The same thing happened with my center panel - it just caved in and flopped around the whole way...

Not nearly as thrilling though as my bow anchor locker lid that just decided to take off - and flew over my head!

Oh, wait, I forgot the blown head-compartment door that I was propping up with my knee.

No pictures though. In my defense, my hands were busy holding the tower which tried to kill me.
Good times!

@MrMoose and you are giving me f@cking PTSD...

"Is this going to fall on my head?"
upload_2017-7-31_16-27-3.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy Smokes Batman !!

When I first got my boat I took it out on the river and came home to find all kinds of fasteners loose. I spent several hours shortening some bolts, putting nyloc locknuts on others, and loctiting the rest (that I could find).

That changing room door was just starting to loosen back up when we got back to harbour towne, and I found one nut/washer that I missed - laying under the forward port bench seat. I still have to find where that came from. I'm sorry to see all that damage - WOW !!

I'm just glad that you didn't get seriously hurt (that you know of), but since you're not laying in the hospital from injuries - you're probably a bit pissed by all that repair work in store for you.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hah! The same thing happened with my center panel - it just caved in and flopped around the whole way...

Not nearly as thrilling though as my bow anchor locker lid that just decided to take off - and flew over my head!

Oh, wait, I forgot the blown head-compartment door that I was propping up with my knee.

No pictures though. In my defense, my hands were busy holding the tower which tried to kill me.
Good times!
#Yamaha, this man deserves a medal of honor and his medical bills paid in addition to the warranty repairs!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrMoose you second video is very very reflective what was going one our boat. In all honesty, it would have helped if I had stayed away from @Bruce's wake. oh well live and learn. LOL

I think @Bill D has more raw footage and @Water Girl must have some useful video.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
speaking of "damages" here is my lit of self inflicted wounds.

Personal drama not related to boat or crossing

• ·Forgot kids’ medication and had to be fedexed from Texas to Orlando

• ·Forgot the same medication, and 2 ipads at Disney, @Valerie had to go pick them up and bring to Port Everglades

• ·My 3 year old got his finger caught on a closing door at Bahia Mar. turns out all good, but for 2 hours, the whole floor could hear him cry

• ·Told my mother that I went through a storm. Dealing with her stress was more stressful than dealing the crossing itself.

Towing related
  • ·Bow post rear lifted 0.5 inches.
  • ·Boat monitoring camera post mounted on rear of truck was crashed and thrown away. Camera okay, structure gone. This was my fault. This was disposable so no financial damage ( camera still worming and mounted 2 feet above truck bed instead of original 6feet)
  • ·Passenger towing mirror gone somewhere in the Florida turnpike
  • ·Partially ripped mooring cover ( I think this was totally my fault though for not securing it properly). Not sure on the price to fix. I cannot think about replacing
  • ·Spidercrack on ubold at the bow. This could be either towing related or winching the boat up on March 31st 2017. Or possible for brake setting the boat in place.

Crossing Related - Structural fiberglass Damage

• ·4 spots of fiber glass damage to the anchor box ( 2 of them cracks, 2 of them exposed fiberglass coming out). After towing back home 1,300 miles new cracks have develop about 20 inches long
  • ·Scratch on the hull ( I think it was the forklift that did that). I get an estimate for this, but I will probably try to fix myself.
  • ·Bulge on the stbd side fiberglass right underneath the bilge pump drains. I had nothing in that compartment that would cause this. I am thinking this has to have been caused by the twisting and the internal woodwork.
  • ·Scratched on the interior bow section due to bouncing bow cover pole. I was able to polish most of those off, but if you know where to look they definitely are there.

Crossing Related - Mechanical and other damages
  • ·Horn is non functional, maybe the switch maybe the horn fell off. I need to investigate
  • ·Factory bilge pump switch is dead
  • ·Loose Rails
  • ·Bow cover itself has multiple broken snaps
  • ·Ski hatch lock, is broken
  • ·rust spots are starting to develop
  • ·Shavings of plastic/rubber on the stbrd engine impeller mounting ( I think it is the “coupler”).
  • ·Grease has been spit out the impeller housing
  • ·Rear light pole is completely corroded, both the poles and the female mount
  • ·2 random plastic parts showed up in cabin, no idea where they came from
  • ·Cyclical silicone sealant came out the port exhaust
  • ·Random body parts were hurting until Wednesday morning. No need for chiropractic ( at least so I think)

granded most of this "damages" are routine and not big deal, sure as hell look enormous to the novice guy.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Grease has been spit out the impeller housing
This one worries me. Can you post a picture? Where did it come out?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Good times!

@MrMoose and you are giving me f@cking PTSD...

"Is this going to fall on my head?"
View attachment 61591

--
@swatski, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Next year, you need to wear a Superman shirt for the crossing.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski how much of your list of issues look to be covered under warranty? I assume hte tower, but given the rough water crossing I am super curious what is covered and how tough Yamaha is to deal with.
They have the boat along with all the parts I brought back, doing their diagnostics/forensics? Is all I know.

--