• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Fling photos and videos.....post them up!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha was like, "@swatski, you're too hard on our baby. We're taking her home".

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking that next year, Yamaha will send some of their prototypes along in the Bimini crossing group as part of their qualification program. @swatski will be on their payroll as he Captains one of the prototypes.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking that next year, Yamaha will send some of their prototypes along in the Bimini crossing group as part of their qualification program. @swatski will be on their payroll as he Captains one of the prototypes.
Or a boat with some extra parts

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have found a few cracks on the gel coat around the glovebox and rear swim deck. I will be taking it to the dealer get an answer if its warranty. It should be...

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
speaking of "damages" here is my lit of self inflicted wounds.

Personal drama not related to boat or crossing

• ·Forgot kids’ medication and had to be fedexed from Texas to Orlando

• ·Forgot the same medication, and 2 ipads at Disney, @Valerie had to go pick them up and bring to Port Everglades

• ·My 3 year old got his finger caught on a closing door at Bahia Mar. turns out all good, but for 2 hours, the whole floor could hear him cry

• ·Told my mother that I went through a storm. Dealing with her stress was more stressful than dealing the crossing itself.

Towing related
  • ·Bow post rear lifted 0.5 inches.
  • ·Boat monitoring camera post mounted on rear of truck was crashed and thrown away. Camera okay, structure gone. This was my fault. This was disposable so no financial damage ( camera still worming and mounted 2 feet above truck bed instead of original 6feet)
  • ·Passenger towing mirror gone somewhere in the Florida turnpike
  • ·Partially ripped mooring cover ( I think this was totally my fault though for not securing it properly). Not sure on the price to fix. I cannot think about replacing
  • ·Spidercrack on ubold at the bow. This could be either towing related or winching the boat up on March 31st 2017. Or possible for brake setting the boat in place.

Crossing Related - Structural fiberglass Damage

• ·4 spots of fiber glass damage to the anchor box ( 2 of them cracks, 2 of them exposed fiberglass coming out). After towing back home 1,300 miles new cracks have develop about 20 inches long
  • ·Scratch on the hull ( I think it was the forklift that did that). I get an estimate for this, but I will probably try to fix myself.
  • ·Bulge on the stbd side fiberglass right underneath the bilge pump drains. I had nothing in that compartment that would cause this. I am thinking this has to have been caused by the twisting and the internal woodwork.
  • ·Scratched on the interior bow section due to bouncing bow cover pole. I was able to polish most of those off, but if you know where to look they definitely are there.

Crossing Related - Mechanical and other damages
  • ·Horn is non functional, maybe the switch maybe the horn fell off. I need to investigate
  • ·Factory bilge pump switch is dead
  • ·Loose Rails
  • ·Bow cover itself has multiple broken snaps
  • ·Ski hatch lock, is broken
  • ·rust spots are starting to develop
  • ·Shavings of plastic/rubber on the stbrd engine impeller mounting ( I think it is the “coupler”).
  • ·Grease has been spit out the impeller housing
  • ·Rear light pole is completely corroded, both the poles and the female mount
  • ·2 random plastic parts showed up in cabin, no idea where they came from
  • ·Cyclical silicone sealant came out the port exhaust
  • ·Random body parts were hurting until Wednesday morning. No need for chiropractic ( at least so I think)

granded most of this "damages" are routine and not big deal, sure as hell look enormous to the novice guy.

So are you ready to do it again next year?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I don't have good pictures because I actually clean the area. These were the pictures prior to cleaning. The grease was about 5 to 6 inches behind those black shavings. I did pump some grease on the housing just in case and I will keep an eye on it.

I will take a good shot tomorrow on the part that I believe the grease came out but I did not see any obvious area where it come from.

Also the shavings happened on the the way to Bimini. Jeremy swiped with his finger while at Bimini sands and since then I put about 4 hours on the engines and it did not seem to have any new shavings. I also removed the plastic cover on the couplers and it looks okay underneath.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, be careful not to pressurize that grease. It is there to keep the bearing moist. If you add too much the bearing can fail.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, be careful not to pressurize that grease. It is there to keep the bearing moist. If you add too much the bearing can fail.
Mel warned me about it, so I tried to be cautious. We will find out I guess!!!!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So are you ready to do it again next year?
the jury is out.
As part of my trilogy write up, I will examine this topic on the last part.
As of right now I feel the we are too close to the event itself to be able to be rational about it.

If you were to subpoena me I would say.
Your honor if I had I would. And you shall ask what do I mean by that. To that I will respond...
When we were at Bimini on Tuesday there were talks in the family about selling the boat, but now we have decided to keep the boat with a 95% probability. That being said at this moment we feel that if we wanted to go back in 2018 we will probably want to pay someone a hefty amount to let us ride with them. If on the other hand we find 4 crew members willing to cover the entire trip, then we might take the Blue Yonder. It is not about ripping people off but this trip I realized that I was prepared enough and I need more equipment to make a safe passing.
At the very least, I will bring extra fuel. Not just jerry cans, but proper container with automatic dispensers. After delivering fuel to 2 boats and seeing them refuel on calm waters. I am convinced that inrough water it would be impossible to refuel.
Seeing how the weather changes too rapidly, I will be doing research for the Practicality of installing a radar. I really don't like being within visual distance of lightening.
I felt that 5 other boats, one chart plotter on my boat, one Ipad hooked to inReach and VHF with waypoint were more than enough for back up. 1/3 the way to Bimini I found out that practically I was depending to get at Bimini ONLY on my garmin chart plotter. The Ipad was dead and I could not maintain course based on the VHF directions. The screen was too small for bouncing seas. So at the very least here we are looking at another 5k of upgrades. And at what point does Bimini because too expensive of an adventure. If I wanted pretty beaches I go to destin Florida, if I wanted to see you guy I can go to Arkansas, Georgia , lake Powell etc.

Furthermore I have the personality of toddler and I like the change. So one of the ideas I have it to do the Erie Canal and Mississippi River. So we need to factor all those priorities on a limited vacation availability.

2018 has also its own logistical issues. We are looking to buy a new house and have a wedding to attend at the end of June , so even if the desire is there we might not be able to it purely due to logistics. Claire skipped her best friends destination wedding in Hawaii for our 2017 Bimini trip and that is not something that I am proud of.

Lastly but equally important, we feel terrible about putting the boat through that stress. We are new to boating, so we are still in love with the machine. Once a few years have passed and the machine becomes just a water vehicle then might be more relaxed about it.

So for just pure entertainment I do not see us going back before 2019 or 2020. But I can make one promise, just as @Majorsmackdown left in the middle of the night to fetch glen, I will be more than happy to go fetch a strained fellow jetboater in Bimini. For such purpose I will go with zero hesitation, but go there to just feed the mosquitoes my precious Greek blood... not so sure, not right now, not When I can enjoy yalls company at lake texoma or any other inland gathering.

Above all, I need to get used to handling the boat at the level That I am satisfied with myself. When you and issac rolled in at Bimini I got out to observe and see how the pros do it. And it was effortless for you guys. Y'all danced through the waves and I marched through the waves. I need to be a ballerina before I do this again.

Was that longest "no" or what. Highly unlikely for 2018 but you never know what kid of virus those mosquitoes have infused on me.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-me-my-attempt-to-concur-the-gulf-stream.14801/

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn. I tell you, parts of that post read like Fifty Shades of Grey...

(I know, I probably need help. Must have been hit in the head, or something, lol)

--
OMG @swatski I laughed to hard that tears came out of my eyes.

PS. It sounds like fifty shades of grey because we take pleasure in abuse ..... why you otherwise allow to be abused with a 2 inch thick iron rod...... ( I did not want say, aluminum because it will sounds like the French version of fifty shades of grey)

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
the jury is out.
As part of my trilogy write up, I will examine this topic on the last part.
As of right now I feel the we are too close to the event itself to be able to be rational about it.

If you were to subpoena me I would say.
Your honor if I had I would. And you shall ask what do I mean by that. To that I will respond...
When we were at Bimini on Tuesday there were talks in the family about selling the boat, but now we have decided to keep the boat with a 95% probability. That being said at this moment we feel that if we wanted to go back in 2018 we will probably want to pay someone a hefty amount to let us ride with them. If on the other hand we find 4 crew members willing to cover the entire trip, then we might take the Blue Yonder. It is not about ripping people off but this trip I realized that I was prepared enough and I need more equipment to make a safe passing.
At the very least, I will bring extra fuel. Not just jerry cans, but proper container with automatic dispensers. After delivering fuel to 2 boats and seeing them refuel on calm waters. I am convinced that inrough water it would be impossible to refuel.
Seeing how the weather changes too rapidly, I will be doing research for the Practicality of installing a radar. I really don't like being within visual distance of lightening.
I felt that 5 other boats, one chart plotter on my boat, one Ipad hooked to inReach and VHF with waypoint were more than enough for back up. 1/3 the way to Bimini I found out that practically I was depending to get at Bimini ONLY on my garmin chart plotter. The Ipad was dead and I could not maintain course based on the VHF directions. The screen was too small for bouncing seas. So at the very least here we are looking at another 5k of upgrades. And at what point does Bimini because too expensive of an adventure. If I wanted pretty beaches I go to destin Florida, if I wanted to see you guy I can go to Arkansas, Georgia , lake Powell etc.

Furthermore I have the personality of toddler and I like the change. So one of the ideas I have it to do the Erie Canal and Mississippi River. So we need to factor all those priorities on a limited vacation availability.

2018 has also its own logistical issues. We are looking to buy a new house and have a wedding to attend at the end of June , so even if the desire is there we might not be able to it purely due to logistics. Claire skipped her best friends destination wedding in Hawaii for our 2017 Bimini trip and that is not something that I am proud of.

Lastly but equally important, we feel terrible about putting the boat through that stress. We are new to boating, so we are still in love with the machine. Once a few years have passed and the machine becomes just a water vehicle then might be more relaxed about it.

So for just pure entertainment I do not see us going back before 2019 or 2020. But I can make one promise, just as @Majorsmackdown left in the middle of the night to fetch glen, I will be more than happy to go fetch a strained fellow jetboater in Bimini. For such purpose I will go with zero hesitation, but go there to just feed the mosquitoes my precious Greek blood... not so sure, not right now, not When I can enjoy yalls company at lake texoma or any other inland gathering.

Above all, I need to get used to handling the boat at the level That I am satisfied with myself. When you and issac rolled in at Bimini I got out to observe and see how the pros do it. And it was effortless for you guys. Y'all danced through the waves and I marched through the waves. I need to be a ballerina before I do this again.

Was that longest "no" or what. Highly unlikely for 2018 but you never know what kid of virus those mosquitoes have infused on me.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-me-my-attempt-to-concur-the-gulf-stream.14801/

Can't wait to read your write up. Trust me, I got my butt whipped making the crossing too. I think boating up/down the Mississippi would be awesome. Whatever you decide I just hope you and family enjoy the boat for years to come.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck as my 3 year boy would say. you betcha.

We spent Saturday evening at the lake on a sunset and retrieved the boat during night time in 5 minutes total. Truest me that boat will get no rest. I just need to abuse her gently.
@swatski please restrain yourself. LOL
Hold on a second, have hugging out with @LOZBum behind my back? Cause I tel, you that crew makes your favorite movie look like minor league.

LOZBum

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck as my 3 year boy would say. you betcha.

We spent Saturday evening at the lake on a sunset and retrieved the boat during night time in 5 minutes total. Truest me that boat will get no rest. I just need to abuse her gently.
@swatski please restrain yourself. LOL
Hold on a second, have hugging out with @LOZBum behind my back? Cause I tel, you that crew makes your favorite movie look like minor league.
@Betik shhhh, don't tell anyone, lol! I laughed so hard at this, I just about choked.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik

Since you invoked majorsmackdown... Majorsmackdown says... you got all that gear... The second time you use it brings the cost per trip to half. That's a deal.

;)

Also, how was that ride back to Ft Lauderdale ? Not bad eih ?

All kidding aside, Bimini is better than a best friend's wedding - even if in Hawaii. and these important decisions you have to make for yourselves - don't let anyone like me pressure you.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Betik i know exactly what you mean about abusing the boat. And I no longer know how to rate your posts... I need an option to pick more than one emotion. Lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Majorsmackdown after I finish part 2 of my write up, I am planing on very detailed analysis on pros and cons of venturing to Bimini. I am looking forward to my results as well.

@Bill D like I said, my story is both a comedy and tragedy. LOL
the boat abuse!!!! you know there was a time when it was okay to abuse other human beings and even now some people think it is okay to abuse animals. Definitely majority of people think it is okay to abuse machines, but what happens when AI is here ? What my 2032 Yamaha SX240 comes home, what would she think of my treatment of her 2012 great grandmother?????

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What my 2032 Yamaha SX240 comes home, what would she think of my treatment of her 2012 great grandmother?
Interesting thought! I don't know the answer to those questions... Hmm.

But I'm pretty sure your 2032 SX240 will still suck in reverse and leak like a sieve.
:D

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting thought! I don't know the answer to those questions... Hmm.

But I'm pretty sure your 2032 SX240 will still suck in reverse and leak like a sieve.
:D

--
at least I wont have to worry about the tower trying to kill me or anchor hatch trying to decapitate me.....

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other than a raw water coolant line pop off causing an engine overheat and a failed return crossing attempt, (thanks to Bruce, Kevin and Glenn for the 30 min diagnosis and fix that day!) and a busted seam on the Bimini, which my daughter is going to attempt to fix with her sewing skills, our 05SX230HO fared well compared to others. I guess these older hulls flex much less than the newer ones.

And yes I checked after the return crossing. No water in the oil from the overheat. Lucky on that part Or these older MR1s are really just great motors.