• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini & Me, my attempt to concur the gulf-stream

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have not noticed @Betik has the full story attached to the first post of this thread in two word documents.

Great story Betik, and thanks for taking the lead! Everyone knew from your early posts that you were devoted to Bimini but you really stepped up on the crossing and the fuel runs.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another great read @Betik. Did you find the ride better out front in open water as opposed of following another boat? On the ski, I try and stay far enough away of the other boats not to catch their wakes as the gulf stream is sloppy enough. For me it's a lot more predictable riding when I don't have the interference of wakes.

If I understood you correctly, it was a little difficult to fully enjoy the week as you had the return crossing lingering in the back of your head. If so, I completely understand that feeling as I got that way on our long returns of 200+ miles in a day during our recent trips to Abacos & Exumas. The unknown conditions and whether or not I would be able to keep up with the boats for that distance would find a way to creep in my mind during the last few days of each trip. However, this past trip to Bimini it rarely entered my mind as I knew regardless of sea conditions, if passable, it would be over around 3 hours at most. I guess my point is if you decide to go again you'll find more enjoyment with your time there as the 1st crossing is always a lot to take in. Add in the conditions of this years crossing and your experience had to be amplified compared to the average crossing. Knowing what to expect (to a point of course) provides a level of comfort IMO which changes the experience when crossing the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I agree. I am pretty certain that @Betik is 100% onboard for 2018. Rough water is a matter of perspective and experience. If you have experienced rougher or similarly rough water before then the it is simply something to get through instead of a crisis that you are in. Beyond that the more time that you spend in rough water the better you will get at judging throttle and angles to smooth the ride. I was standing for most of the crossing. On the few occasions that I sat it get much rougher in my boat. I was better able to evaluate the waves while standing.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You see, @Ramblin Wreck, some of us just do it for the crossing! lol. :cool:
But you wouldn't understand, would ya?

(sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes)
--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also believe that @Betik was in it for the adventure of the crossing and the crossing did not fail to deliver.

Next year I hope he will move on from the crossing adventure to enjoying Island Life!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I agree. I am pretty certain that @Betik is 100% onboard for 2018. Rough water is a matter of perspective and experience. If you have experienced rougher or similarly rough water before then the it is simply something to get through instead of a crisis that you are in. Beyond that the more time that you spend in rough water the better you will get at judging throttle and angles to smooth the ride. I was standing for most of the crossing. On the few occasions that I sat it get much rougher in my boat. I was better able to evaluate the waves while standing.
What's interesting about crossing with @Andy S & @1948Isaac is that Andy stands most of the time (although he did sit more with the trim tab install this year) and @1948Isaac sits most of the time. For me on a ski, I try and stand as much as I'm physically capable. I try and stand upright with my knees and calves taking the waves vs my thighs or when sitting my back and spine. When I do sit, I almost immediately want to dial it back 2 to 3mph because you do take a lot more beating IMO. Standing as upright as possible without squatting so I don't exhaust my thighs in the first 5 miles is definitely my preference.

@swatski the journey, the unknown, the crossing, the adventure definitely keeps me wanting to do it over and over. The destination is just the icing on the cake.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Andy stands most of the time (although he did sit more with the trim tab install this year) and @1948Isaac sits most of the time
If I was planning to boat 200+ miles in one day I would certainly want to sit when I could.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have not noticed @Betik has the full story attached to the first post of this thread in two word documents.

Great story Betik, and thanks for taking the lead! Everyone knew from your early posts that you were devoted to Bimini but you really stepped up on the crossing and the fuel runs.
Pretty awesome read!
Makes our crossing seem kind of boring. If I only had writing skills and lexicon of our Greek friend!

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does Ithaca make the trip worthy it OR does the trip make Ithaca, "Ithaca". I plan to fully explore all those topics on part 3, but I would say the exuberance of prepping and crossing is hard to describe.

@swatski I am ashamed to admit it, but I could have crossed back to Florida on Tuesday and still be just as happy. Not so sure that Claire would have been happy with such a short stay though. I think Bruce is right to stay more than 5 days. What the hell, 2 days is only the recovery.

@Ramblin Wreck there was a constant worry about the return, but for me it was all about the boat. @txav8r forced me to a pathological relationship with Blue Yonder, and I could not ( still cannot ) bear to contemplate the damage I brought on her. All this for my own ego? Why couldn't I just wait for 2018? Because , " you are Betik" my wife would say.

@Bruce there is no doubt in my mind that lack of experience makes the hill look like a mountain, but how do I convince myself to wait for an organic experience growth instead of shaving it on my own face !!!!

Bimini 2018 ? any comment at this moment will be just premature. Most likely be part of crew or have a full crew. The chances defiantly go up for 2019 and 2020 though. Hana is disappointed that the dolphins were on vacation and we could not meet them. And a dad never fails his daughter.....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Betik, its a good thing I just came in yesterday from 9 days of flying over 10 days...I have the next 6 days off to READ! Not only did I find a guy that would be obsessive and concerned about my former boat...I apparently found a guy that likes to type and be descriptive too! Nice read so far and like some have said, it reads with that great GREEK accent! If I had known some of this early on, what would have changed? Not a DAMN thing! I am glad you are finding your adventure and making memories!

Mel

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Awesome write up @Betik . I am sure each one of us have our own tales to tell but can't express it poetically the way you do. One thing to mention is the sheer exhaustion and joy everyone faced when they reached Bimini. I remember seeing one of my best buddies on the trip @fromrio lie down on the ground right after he parked the boat. I remember being incoherent that night after reaching Bimini as waves of exhaustion finally took over me once my friends and family reached Bimini safely.

What an adventure to remember and reminisce until the next time....the trip sure made my wife and kids more confident and comfortable in the seas. When we purchased the boat last year a small wave in lake Anna used to make Anu uncomfortable and a reprimand for me to drive slowly and safely in the lake :) . Right now the waves hardly bother her :thumbsup:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @Rana and I were watching Despicable Me 3 with @Emma and @Gavin yesterday there were several comments about the similarity between @Betik and Gru's voices. So for those of you reading and trying to imagine Betik's voice just think of Gru if you have kids that age and managed to sit through the movies. For those that did not Gru is the guy who bosses around the minions.

P.S. Betik, you could have a career in writing and voice acting ahead of you. Also, I do not believe that your story gives Claire enough credit for putting up with all your antics.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @Rana and I were watching Despicable Me 3 with @Emma and @Gavin yesterday there were several comments about the similarity between @Betik and Gru's voices. So for those of you reading and trying to imagine Betik's voice just think of Gru if you have kids that age and managed to sit through the movies. For those that did not Gru is the guy who bosses around the minions.

P.S. Betik, you could have a career in writing and voice acting ahead of you. Also, I do not believe that your story gives Claire enough credit for putting up with all your antics.
That changes the entire story now! Now I remember it in Gru's voice:)

Off topic, Despicable 3 wasn't good, I liked the other ones though.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another great read @Betik. Did you find the ride better out front in open water as opposed of following another boat? On the ski, I try and stay far enough away of the other boats not to catch their wakes as the gulf stream is sloppy enough. For me it's a lot more predictable riding when I don't have the interference of wakes.
I am sorry, I just noticed I did not address this and it is important.
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Being the front boat a necessity forced upon me, not something that I was looking forward too. Navigating was more challenging than I expected, at that point comfort was not something I was thinking off. The ride was smoother for sure but you also need to account that we where out of storm and I was getting used to the bumpiness. On the way back to Florida I experimented with different positions behind @ThatJeepGuy and indeed being behind the wake was rougher than being on uninterrupted seas.
For the record I must state, that when we left Port Everglades, I was aware that holding on Bruce's wake like 3 year old girl holding on her mom's skirt will cost me on comfort and fuel. But in those condition, it was fair trade off, as far as I was concerned.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

My local friends point out very frequently the similarities with Gru. It is actually very common. I do have pink suit and the scarf to prove it. My 5 year girl loves ballet too, and I have never make in on time.

As far as Claire goes, I have no comment to make in public, but in private as a compliment I once told her....

"baby, my second marriage has been such an improvement over my first marriage that I cannot wait for the 3rd one" . She did not take is a compliment though. LOL

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once again I find myself reading one of @Betik's posts, giving it a rating, reading a little more then changing that rating :)

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, @Betik I often tell Nichole what my second wife will be like. She's not amused either...