• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini VHF MMSI

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All right I was feeling left out and based on this year boating plans I convinced myself to get another VHF radio and this one has the MMSI capabilities. Damn this boat is expensive to be part of. :D

My number is 338187036

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
https://www.cobra.com/products/fixed-mount/mr-f45-d
This is what I have in my boat. I don't know what all the mmsi or whatever stands for, but I for one would like to add the gps feature to this thing at least. I didn't know if that is something that comes off of a chartplotter or what. And is this capable of doing what you guys are talking about?
I basically installed it and tested it a couple times, but hardly ever turn it on.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I have in my boat. I don't know what all the mmsi or whatever stands for, but I for one would like to add the gps feature to this thing at least. I didn't know if that is something that comes off of a chartplotter or what. And is this capable of doing what you guys are talking about?
I basically installed it and tested it a couple times, but hardly ever turn it on.
MMSI is the registration number to identify your boat when the radio sends a DSC distress or location signal. That radio will transmit DSC if you add a GPS receiver. Most of us buy the slightly more expensive Standard Horizon GX1700 because it has a built in GPS receiver.

zedxmike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Standard Horizon HX870 handheld
I just bought the same radio. Should be delivered today or tomorrow. Im bringing my boat in for service tomorrow as well. Getting a full once over with plenty of time to spare just in case. All of the major items have been purchased. Now its time for all the stuff that will nickel and dime you. Regardless my excitement level is rising by the day..

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The link you provided states GPS can be added. Now, if it is the standard NMEA bus, and your chartplotter has the appropriate connections..you may be able to pipe GPS into the radio for DSC.

However, you don't have a large screen with compass and location capability...so navigating to DSC members may not be supported

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My MMSI number is 338156262, but I have no idea how to use that feature on my radio (other than hitting the distress button)!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My MMSI number is 338156262, but I have no idea how to use that feature on my radio (other than hitting the distress button)!
What radio do you have? Some of our radios, the GX1700 being one of them can call friends boats based on MMSI to request their position then provide the direction and distance to reach them.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure the radio can do that, but I never studied up on its functions. I have to climb into the boat to check the model number.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those that haven't seen this in the 2015 Bimini thread, here is a map of the Bimini Sands with everyone's location as we know it and their MMSI number.

Attachments

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Standard horizon is havin a rebate thru the end of july. I got me the gx1700

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What radio do you have? Some of our radios, the GX1700 being one of them can call friends boats based on MMSI to request their position then provide the direction and distance to reach them.
I'm hoping we can test this feature out during the trip :)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Once i get my vhf finially installed next week i'll add these in. So i can say "hey my buddy @Bruce is only 980 miles from me"

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once i get my vhf finially installed next week i'll add these in. So i can say "hey my buddy @Bruce is only 980 miles from me"
Oh yea, then well hook up 100 500 watt amps in parallel to a 1000 foot tower with a 50 dbi directional antenna so you two can talk! :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GPS for the speedometer in my boat is NMEA, so I was able to hook my radio into that. I didn't have to buy another antenna. Works perfectly.

Of course, I usually go out on just Lake Conroe. And I don't know anyone nearby with an MMSI number. I even wrote an email to the Constable (who patrols the lake) to see if they have one, but no reply. But I can talk to myself real fine.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, Yamaha must have gone CHEAP for the HIGHER PRICED, FULLY LOADED 2015 AR192 I just bought.

It has a paddle wheel in the thru-hull depth transducer for speed :(

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really?

I'm sure we advised you to get the AR240... Or we would have. Er...

If it makes you feel better, mine also has a thru-hull transducer. For the depth and temp... Er...