• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini VHF MMSI

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey y'all, what's a good antenna to use with the GX1700 and best mount location on the 242x?
Prepping for Bimini 2018...
I just got the same radio and spent way too much time researching VHF antennas and the science behind them. I ended up with a black 6 ft Pacific Aerials that I am going to tower mount. Pacific aerials is the only brand with a model line where the antenna connects in the middle of the base allowing you to simply unscrew the antenna and leaving the wire connected to the mounting bracket. As far as performance I went deep into the science and one 6 ft half wave antenna is as good as another. In fact ignore the BS gain numbers. I went 6 ft as that is the longest I can easily stow on the boat (going to add fishing rod holder clips in the ski locker).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah, I am sure you know but please make sure not to power up the radio with the antenna disconnected.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or at least keep it switched to low power, until need the range.
Most claim they are protected, but Iwouldn't play with it. These are OLD technologies.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah, I am sure you know but please make sure not to power up the radio with the antenna disconnected.
Having never owned a fixed VHF I did not know that so thanks very much for the tip.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having never owned a fixed VHF I did not know that so thanks very much for the tip.
It was a common problem with old CB radios which would blow a diode if keyed up without an antenna. I worked at Radio Shack in high school and side jobs replacing diodes paid for a lot of dates with @Rana.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pacific aerials is the only brand with a model line where the antenna connects in the middle of the base allowing you to simply unscrew the antenna and leaving the wire connected to the mounting bracket.
Not exactly true, Shakespeare also has a complete line of QC (quick connect) antennas and mounts.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not exactly true, Shakespeare also has a complete line of QC (quick connect) antennas and mounts.
Thanks for pointing that out. I did not find any myself. Perhaps I focused on the Pacific Aerials 6 foot anteena and new mount but good to know.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for pointing that out. I did not find any myself. Perhaps I focused on the Pacific Aerials 6 foot anteena and new mount but good to know.
It's all good. Shakespeare doesn't seem to offer a 6' QC antenna which, as you pointed out, is a good size compromise. Pacific Aerials mount I agree is also nicer looking. Just wanted to say there are other options in case those weren't available.