• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

BLOWN ENGINE - NEED ADVICE

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a hole in the engine block of my 2007 AR230. I brought it to a dealer and they quoted me $18,000 to replace and repair. They wont work with a used or rebuilt engine. Needless to say I feel sick right now. I paid $30k 3 years ago and spent about $4,500 on new seats upholstery. I owe plenty on the boat. This is really bad for me.

Any advice on rebuilt motors and respectable places that would do this work?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Might as well throw this out there..... very likely user error on overfilling the oil and it spat it out and sucked it back in the intake.

I have a hole in the engine block of my 2007 AR230. I brought it to a dealer and they quoted me $18,000 to replace and repair. They wont work with a used or rebuilt engine. Needless to say I feel sick right now. I paid $30k 3 years ago and spent about $4,500 on new seats upholstery. I owe plenty on the boat. This is really bad for me.

Any advice on rebuilt motors and respectable places that would do this work?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Might as well throw this out there..... very likely user error on overfilling the oil and it spat it out and sucked it back in the intake.
What engines does it have ?

Okay, there is a guy on here that is selling two low hour 1.8L engines.. thought maybe that would help you out.

I'm not sure the year range, but there have been quite a few people who have yanked motors out of jet skis. Just remember, there are several variations of the MR-1. Be sure you get the HO version. Memory might be wrong, but I *think* they came in 110, 140, and 160 hp versions. Another option would be to get an SBT engine. You'll get wild feedback when you look into others who have used them, though. Seems some have wonderful luck, and others have terrible luck. I would also recommend finding someone who works on jetskis to help you. Dealers don't want to mess with boats as old as ours. I am pretty sure they basically just price themselves out of jobs specifically so they don't have to deal with it. Jetski mechanics might push back a little, but if you offer to yank the engine, it might change their outlook. Keeps a large boat off their lot, and makes it much more in line with their normal procedures.

Lastly, make sure your ECU didn't fail, and cause an injector to hold open, which will DUMP fuel into one cylinder, causing fuel to mix into the oil, and potentially hydrolock the engine.

Thank you.

Lots of research yesterday. I found another dealer that has and will work with SBT motors. They are going to store and do the work over the winter. Estimated labor of $2,400.

This still hurts but nothing compared to the $18,000 I was originally quoted.

Any opinions on rebuilt vs. new SBT motors.? There is a decent price difference.

If you go with SBT buy the one with the two year warranty NOT the one year warranty. Personally, I would look for a used 2006 to 2009 FXHO Waverunner (like the one pictured) it has the same engine and horse power (1,052 cc / 160 hp) as the one blown. By getting the whole ski, even if the hull is beat up, you also get the ecu Incase yours is bad. Also there is demand for some of the left over parts which will help reduce the overall costs.

I’ve had a ski with an SBT engine and it ran fine for years but they are said to use cheap parts especially in their motors that they offer a one year warranty on. Moreover, they want a working core trade in so you have to have the block repaired to deal with them. Also, buyer pays shipping of the core to them, the new engine to the buyer and back to SBT if a warranty claim arises.

I dont know what you shop charges by the hour to swap out and in a motor, here in NCal it’s $185 per hour. I recently swapped two motors out of and into my boat in the driveway, actually my mobile mechanic did it with my help. It should only take about two or three hours with the hardest part being breaking the engine mounting bolts free and you can do the swap with a standard cherry picker.

Finally consider reaching out to @finnrigged . He was parting out an SX and may have what you need. Boat Stuff - FS Parts 2008 Yamaha SX230HO (various)

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Attachments

• IMG_6707.png
    IMG_6707.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I too would probably go the jetski route if I was able to find one. The ECU will work as a backup, but my understanding is that some kind of "flip over" sensor can cause some extra steps to be taken to bypass. If you do go with SBT, I would definitely go with the new components. Rebuilds are too often an inheritance of someone else's problems.

If you go with SBT buy the one with the two year warranty NOT the one year warranty. Personally, I would look for a used 2006 to 2009 FXHO Waverunner (like the one pictured) it has the same engine and horse power (1,052 cc / 160 hp) as the one blown. By getting the whole ski, even if the hull is beat up, you also get the ecu Incase yours is bad. Also there is demand for some of the left over parts which will help reduce the overall costs.

I’ve had a ski with an SBT engine and it ran fine for years but they are said to use cheap parts especially in their motors that they offer a one year warranty on. Moreover, they want a working core trade in so you have to have the block repaired to deal with them. Also, buyer pays shipping of the core to them, the new engine to the buyer and back to SBT if a warranty claim arises.

I dont know what you shop charges by the hour to swap out and in a motor, here in NCal it’s $185 per hour. I recently swapped two motors out of and into my boat in the driveway, actually my mobile mechanic did it with my help. It should only take about two or three hours with the hardest part being breaking the engine mounting bolts free and you can do the swap with a standard cherry picker.

Finally consider reaching out to @finnrigged . He was parting out an SX and may have what you need. Boat Stuff - FS Parts 2008 Yamaha SX230HO (various)

Good luck with whatever route you take.
Thank you very much for that thorough advice.

I too would probably go the jetski route if I was able to find one. The ECU will work as a backup, but my understanding is that some kind of "flip over" sensor can cause some extra steps to be taken to bypass. If you do go with SBT, I would definitely go with the new components. Rebuilds are too often an inheritance of someone else's problems.
Thank you very much.

Back