• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Capsized by storm on Lake Conroe, Texas

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wonder how many folks had PFD’s on, and how the unfortunate person succumbed, the article doesn’t say.

Fortunately, it was close to shore, and nearby citizens assisted before the authorities arrived. Also, it was still daylight, or this could have been really tragic. I did read where the youngest passenger was 18 months, and was not injured.

Dang, I've been on that boat before. Sad to see.

Yeah. Apparently three went to the hospital (one panic attack, husband of panic attack, and one cardiac issue). I assume the cardiac issue was the fatality.

Very sad. But that weather was looking nasty that night. Came up fast, too.

Dang, I've been on that boat before. Sad to see.
Wow me too several times! Blows my mind how something that size and “stable” could capsize!!! Wonder what could possibly cause that. Prayers for the passengers and families.

Party boats are filled to "capacity" with passengers and can become very very dangerous in bad conditions. There were multiple fatalities in Baltimore Harbor a few years back when a sudden storm capsized the boat.

Actually have a friend whose condo is up on the lake. The boat capsized right off the dock there. First, the water there is about 4' deep. Second, when the boat capsized--he could see that it is completely flat-bottomed. There is no keel or anything that would stabilize the craft, certainly not against people on the top deck. Apparently, when the storm blew in, waves kicked up, so the people who were on the bottom deck all ran upstairs so they didn't get wet...

I try to stay away from lake Conroe, usually do Houston or Livingston, bit less crazy there. Conroe almost always has huge seas due to all the bulk heading, traffic and party peeps.

I usually am on Conroe. Have done Livingston a number of times. On Conroe, if you go north of the bridge, less bulkheading and much fairer waters. Nice cheap gas down by the dam, but lots of traffic and idiots. Just need to be careful and patient. Then run back north to hang out.

Thanks for the tip on the north side. We usually don’t go north of 1097 bridge, heard it was stumpy there but will check it out next time up. We have friends who live on the lake fairly near the dam, so have spent most of the time there or over by margaritaville.

Our favorite is actually making the trip to canyon lake, either camp or pick up an air bnb to stay the weekend. The beautiful water is worth the trip.

It is true that there are stumps up there. Be careful if you go into one of the fingers or too far north. But there is a nice chunk of lake north of the bridge that is much calmer. Even with the stumps I like to go to one of the fingers and creep in to find a spot to anchor to float for a bit...

Back