• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jetboat capsizes on the Hudson killing two

Number of persons on board? Or total weight of passengers and gear. Number of persons is based on a 150# person. Not too many adults weigh less than 150#s by what I have seen. I would say most weigh more. So it is not the number of persons on board but their total weight plus gear. With 12 persons aboard, I bet the boat was way over its total passenger weight.

2700 lbs. and at max full tank plus gear. 50g gas 300 lbs. Even at 400 more lbs of gear that's 166 lbs per person. There were women and children. With that said, they could have been overloaded in the front, but all of this is speculation. No doubt they took on water and couldn't recover. If there were 12 full grown average american men, then I would agree with speculating they were way over weight.

That boat was hauling and came to a such a violent abrupt stop that it flipped the boat the passengers must have been slammed, thrown and a good chance of being knocked unconscious. At top speeds the nose of the jet boat gets pushed very low in the water I never understood why they designed the bow so low it actually sweeps down.

That boat was hauling and came to a such a violent abrupt stop that it flipped the boat the passengers must have been slammed, thrown and a good chance of being knocked unconscious. At top speeds the nose of the jet boat gets pushed very low in the water I never understood why they designed the bow so low it actually sweeps down.

I though the bow slopes down, at least in part, so that the captain has a better line of sight over the bow.

Jim

3FF63606-8EB8-4ECD-BCE4-E26DE894FC16.png

Its dark but..

"Selling Yamaha AR240 due to death in the family"

Here is a video of the accident. They said no ferry or any other vessel was near to make a wake. The must have been loaded up front and an inexperienced driver going to fast. The conditions weren't great but to be honest didn't look that bad if you had some caution.. https://nypost.com/2022/07/13/video-shows-the-moment-boat-capsized-in-the-hudson-river-killing-2/
i used to boat in that area, those ferry can make 6 ft wave easy and it doesnt have to be near the boat, wake travel far.

Watching the video you can see the large police boat bobbing in the water . That water was way to rough yes these boats can do fifty but on calm water but try it in rough water loaded to the max and most likely over loaded weight wise the results are catastrophic. It was probably fun when it launched out of the water at high speeds but when the nose dug in and it went from 45 to 0 with no seat belts with enough inertia to flip it over bet there are more injuries. There is no doubt that thing was at full throttle from the size of the jet spray as it was flipping

Judging by the size of her, they were also over weight.
I'm no lightweight and would never throw stones, but one news channel aired photos of some of the passengers picking up food at a restaurant before heading out. Three rather large men and a few large bags of food. My point is, you need to pay attention to the capacity plate maximum weight, not just the number of passengers...and that includes gear, food, etc. I personally count as one and a half.

Or it spun as it capsized...rooster tails from the jets.

Watching the video you can see the large police boat bobbing in the water . That water was way to rough yes these boats can do fifty but on calm water but try it in rough water loaded to the max and most likely over loaded weight wise the results are catastrophic. It was probably fun when it launched out of the water at high speeds but when the nose dug in and it went from 45 to 0 with no seat belts with enough inertia to flip it over bet there are more injuries. There is no doubt that thing was at full throttle from the size of the jet spray as it was flipping

Yep. I wasn't expecting to see them going that fast. I'm sure if someone would have posted to be careful that the boat could nose dive and instantly flip over that some folks wouldn't believe it.

Back