• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bouncy Shoreland'r Trailer? Carlisle Stands Behind Their Product

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Sorry, I have not read all 21 pages of this post.... is there a summary of what trailers/years are affected? I have a 2018 242E and am wondering....

Here's what's on my boat

View attachment 81428
If the trailer doesn't shake you are probably ok as far as function. But if you want to get technical look at the tire spec sticker on the trailer and see if the trailer is spec'd for radial instead of the bias ply it came with. You have to really search for the sticker if I remember right I think it was on the inside of one of the frame rails.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Carlstar sent me a response saying the tires are still on warranty and replaced with the same tire. They did say I will have a new 2 year warranty with them and I should have better luck with this set. Some people have been denied their claim. I may have gotten mine because they are extremely cupped. I will get them mounted just to see if they stop the shaking. If not I will put new rubber on next season.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like you have new/improved fender brackets (good)
and bias ply tires (not so good)

Do your fenders visibly shake at highway speeds?

--
I haven't noticed anything, but haven't paid attention. Really haven't had it going much above 60 and that's only been once or twice. I'm taking it in for the 20 hour service on Friday morning so I'll be paying attention. Its about 50 minutes so I'll have plenty of time on the highway to check.

Will also get a picture of the tire label on the trailer and have a look at the fenders and brackets just to see what I have.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Brought my boat home from the marina today and wow was the first couple miles bumpy. My SUV was vibrating pretty bad. Didn't see the fenders vibrating much but everything else was. After a couple miles, it mostly went away which tells me the bias plys didn't like sitting around at the marina.

Took a photo of my trailer sticker and it looks like I should of had radials... Will be at my dealer tomorrow for oil change so will definitely bring this up. Hope I'm not too late to the party....
IMG_4110.JPG

I went thru the rest of this thread and don't recall seeing pictures of what the new brackets and everything looks like. Took a few pics of mine just for people to see if interested.
IMG_0419.JPG IMG_4115.JPG IMG_0675.JPG

Chester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It astounds me at the random results coming from Carlstar warranty. Some people get nothing, some get just tires, some get 5 tires and some get 4 tires, some get the same bias-ply tires. Once in a great while some people get 5-radials mounted on galvanized wheels which is what I got without much effort at all.

What the heck is that all about? These warranty claims should be straight forward and there should be no cost incurred by the owner to mount/balance etc. This is clearly a mistake as the trailer placards all spec radials, not bias-ply. Pretty cut and dry. If you bought a new car and it came with any other tire then what was spec'd on the sticker the dealer would eat all costs to get the correct tires put on the car no questions asked. And in this case it comes down to safety. A bouncing trailer going 65mph isn't what I'd call safe.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If y'all want to hear something really funny, I called Carlisle and Shoreland'r about this issue and wanting radial tires. I was denied by both companies. They both stated that even though the placard says it calls for radials, it actually calls for either one. I informed them over and over and over that was not an acceptable answer until they stopped responding. A week later, I received a new placard in the mail showing it calls for bias ply tires. Talk about a JOKE of customer service! :mad:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried adding airsoft BBs inside their tires to help balance them? Some folks say it works great. Seems like a good fit for a bouncy trailer. Apparently they distribute as necessary for a smooth ride. There’s a chart somewhere for how many to add to each tire.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried adding airsoft BBs inside their tires to help balance them? Some folks say it works great. Seems like a good fit for a bouncy trailer. Apparently they distribute as necessary for a smooth ride. There’s a chart somewhere for how many to add to each tire.
I have used tire BB weights in motorcycle tires on large bikes, they do work great on them. Not airsoft bbs.
Never tried on anything other than motorcycles

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
i realize I’m digging up an old thread here, but has anyone had luck going through Shoreland’r for tire replacement? I brought my 2018 home last week, and though it has bias ply tires the sticker lists only radials. 9219492195

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used my bias ply tires for a year even though I was made aware of the problem by this site. Two trips from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale and many weekend trips in Tn & KY. Finally the cracks started showing up in the fenders and I called Carlisle and they still sent me 5 brand new radials. No questions asked after I provided the information they needed and Shoreland'r also replaced my fenders, no questions asked either

After replacing the fenders and the tires I have had no issues.

Great customer service from both companies but this problem should never have continued to happen to customers after both companies became aware of the problems.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I guess my question is it seems Carlisle has stopped replacing these, frankly it’s not their issue to deal with and the fact they replaced entire sets of tires for so long amazes me. Has anyone had any luck with Shoreland’r actually stepping up and fixing their mistake?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess my question is it seems Carlisle has stopped replacing these, frankly it’s not their issue to deal with and the fact they replaced entire sets of tires for so long amazes me. Has anyone had any luck with Shoreland’r actually stepping up and fixing their mistake?
Also curious as I just picked up my boat. Might as well start working on it now, if they will actually swap them out. Otherwise, I guess it towed ok the 60 miles home.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The last I heard (toward the end of last summer) was that Carlisle has now taken the stance that it is shoreland’r responsibility. Once that happened shoreland’r started replying that even though the trailer sticker says radial the trailer is spec’d for both radial and bias ply. At that point last year no one was successful anymore in getting replacements. So never hurts to try but appears they shut that down.

Edit: look above at post #426 in this thread, @Jameson Clark was the post I was remembering - they even sent him a new placard sticker for his trailer indicating bias ply. 😑

Last edited:

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My trailer has been sitting at one of shorelandr’s repair shops since March. I had the same issues with my trailer. Unfortunately for me, they show up until I towed the boat out from Utah. I called Carlisle and asked them as to why the tires were cupping I n the edges and bulge out from the middle of the treads. Also asked them if they were to be balanced by the end user or were they sent balanced. The rep basically congratulated me on getting so much life out of them and I should feel fortunate. Are you kiddin me?? So, I just bought new radials to be mounted and balanced. My dime, of course. The fenders are going to be replaced by shorelandr. The trailer is tongue heavy and will be adjusted by the shop. Also noticed the nuts that hold on the spare tire carrier came loose on the trip. The repair center told me those should have come from the factory as nylon lock nuts, so those were replaced. FYI, PLEASE CHECK THE SPARE TIRE CARRIER ON YOUR TRAILERS!! So thankful that didn’t come off.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also noticed the nuts that hold on the spare tire carrier came loose on the trip. The repair center told me those should have come from the factory as nylon lock nuts, so those were replaced. FYI, PLEASE CHECK THE SPARE TIRE CARRIER ON YOUR TRAILERS!! So thankful that didn’t come off.
This is a great reminder for folks to go over their entire trailer before getting on the road....

Tires: pressure, dry rot, abnormal wear
Lug nuts
Spare tire H/W
Straps
Lights
Brake lines
License plate fasteners
Chains
Couplers
Etc....

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey has another attempted to sell the old non-radial tires that you took off their trailers? The guy at the place where I had switch my tires asked why I was replacing my new tires. I kept the old tires and have them on Craigslist. I thought maybe some one could use them on a some kind of trailer.
ST 215/75D14

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sold all 5 of my originals they had aprox 100 miles on them, sold them for 25 each

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sold all 5 of my originals they had aprox 100 miles on them, sold them for 25 each
Wow $25 each. Not Bad!
I have had mine on CL for couple weeks at $10 each....but no interest. But as it turns out, I have good friend who is selling his 2011 sx240 w/ trailer and his tires are are looking dry rotted.....so I am giving him my used tires.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel sorry to the customer service reps at Carlisle. They are probably wondering what in the world just happened as they try to field an entire years worth of phone calls in one day.
Now I will need to go check my sticker as well too just in case this applies to 2014 trailers too.
Yeah, they're really going to be TIREd after the avalanche of calls.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yup, sold all 5 of mine for $150 or so.