• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Cable/ethernet hub advice needed

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When we built our new home a couple of years ago, we had the builder run cable and cat6 lines throughout the house. We currently stream our tv service and have been using wireless internet throughout the house for our tvs and computers. Never really have been happy with the streaming tvs and I have decided to finally tackle the cable/ethernet hub.

IMG_0751.jpeg

Any advice on what to use (hubs, boards, something else) to clean up this mess? I have 10 sets of cables/cat6 wires running to boxes throughout the house. Internet comes into the house through a cable (Mediacom) to the modem/router. Do you think I might get better tv reception from cable or Ethernet?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 🙏

Jim

You mentioned you current stream your TV and are unhappy with the quality. Before tackling the question about network hardware and configuration, I think you need to share what devices you are using, and if you have any way to determine the bandwidth/latency for each of the devices, as well as what speed connection you have with your ISP (marketed vs actual), and how that compares to what you’re getting at each device. Also how many simultaneous streams you are using at once.

From there, you mentioned you have 10 runs of CAT6, do you need all 10 runs to be connected or less? This will help determine if you can use a relatively standard WiFi router (generally has 4 ports, some higher end models have 8), or if you also need to have a network switch.

I’m far from a network SME, but in our house use a wireless mesh system from Asus as well as some network switches to accommodate hardwiring as much of the high bandwidth load as possible (eg, all media streamers/smart TVs, desktop PC).

To my earlier question about testing bandwidth, free apps/sites such as Speedtest.net or Fast.com will provide some visibility to you, and I suggest running the same test a few times at each each device to rule out any anomalies. Also, I am not a fan of ISP provided routers/Wifi Access points, and generally only use the ISP provided modem (gateway) to connect to my router where I can better personalize settings to my needs (eg, network name/password, guest network, monitor firmware upgrades, etc.). Yes, many routers have a wealth of settings and it’s easy to become overwhelmed, but often the out of the box settings will meet most needs.

At one point, I also evaluated the TP-Link Deco mesh system and the set-up for that was really straight forward with a very clean and minimal app that didn’t overwhelm to much in way of technical terms.

Lastly, if you want to use the CAT6 wires, you are going to need to properly terminate them. You should look at a tool/kit similar to the below (I just grabbed the 1st one that came up on Amazon, not a recommendation on the brand), but you need the crimping tool, the connectors, stress relief jackets are plus, as well as the testing tool to ensure all 8 pins on your terminals are crimped and seated correctly and in the proper sequence ensuring passing a solid signal.

Hopefully this didn’t overwhelm you, and I’m sure there are varied opinions and approaches to solve your needs - this was just some through an about how I would tackle the situation.

I agree about looking at what is going on with your wireless first. We have everything running on wireless and that is typical nowadays. The bandwidth and speed will make a difference but one thing to look at is distance from the router/hub. Walls and floors will diminish the strength. You may simply need to get a repeater/booster for some areas of the home. If everything runs good near the router but not in a back bedroom (etc.) then that may be what is going on.

+1 for a better modem and mesh network. I had the same issue when we first moved in to our new house a couple of years ago (3800sf over 3 stories) and the problem was the crap modem and router that the network provider gives you. bought my own modem and a TPlink Deco mesh system and it's great. also saves a ton of money from not leasing the providers router.

I'm a huge fan of hardwired devices where available. That is coming from 3 decades of data center design.

The tips above on wireless are all great suggestions and the real place to start. Ethernet switches are super cheap, but the expense may be on the other end, as your endpoints may not have an Ethernet port.

Xbox, Blue Ray players and some TV's have a wired jack. But Firesticks etc may need an adapter. And after buying those adapters and switch, you could have just updated your wireless to a good mesh systems.

Most endpoints have a network bandwidth testing function as they can then control the quality settings of your apps. Most have found that a good mesh system will eliminate wireless bottle necks. Then it just comes down to your connection to your ISP and the quality of your endpoints to take advantage of it.

+1 on the mesh system. Switches are inexpensive, just plan on replacing them every few years at minimum.

Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback. We are currently using a modem/router with two eero mesh hubs, all rented through our cable provider. When we talked with the electrician through the construction walk-through we discussed the placement of all the cat 6 cables in the house. We placed all the outlets where we thought we might have tvs or use our computers with an extra outlet in the garage). He installed the cat 6 cables all paired with coaxial cables.

My current thinking is that I just blow off all the coaxial cables and focus on the cat 6 cables. As none of the cables were installed with RJ45 connectors, I will crimp and test connectors on both ends of all the cat 6 cable runs. At the cable hub center, I’m thinking about just tying up the coaxial cables and working with only the cat 6 cables. I’m thinking about installing a 16 port unmanaged gigabit switch in the the closet hub center, and getting two 4 port unmanaged gigabit switches at point of use (one for the upstairs game room and the other either in our living room or master bedroom).

Jim

Back