• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can a Yamaha 195 FSH handle offshore fishing?

MontyLances

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Hey guys!

I am active duty military and just got orders to Guam for February next year. I am wanting to buy my first boat and have really set my eyes on the Yamaha 195 FSH. I have a small family so I wanted something a little more versatile with a fishing focus, but can accommodate the fun family activities as well. My only question is would this boat handle if I decided to go more off-shore off the island? I don't see myself going super far out but I would like to have the option of getting bigger fish if I decided to go further out. Thanks guys I am a newbie so any information will help, thanks.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pick your days(weather/seas) and it can do it. The limiting factor will be fuel range. Is it the ideal boat for offshore fishing? Nope, but it can. I'd suggest going out with a buddy's boat as well, depending on how far you go out, just for security. Make sure you have all your safety gear, chart plotter and radio. We take ours 3-4 miles offshore, but many take theirs 20+. Again, not the best boat for that, but it will do it.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is very capable offshore. I’ve seen a lot less of boats offshore in this area. The only concern I would have would be that it’s a single engine boat. Having twins would make me feel better going very far out without at least another boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When Anthony Shay began his Bad Company fishing enterprise ( look up Bad Company fishing on the net) he started out with a 17’ Boston Whaler montok and would regularly venture out into the channel between Palms Verdes and Catalina Island, one of the most treacherous stretches of water in the world.

Be smart as the others have indicated and pick your days. Be prepared (Boy Scout motto) with a Boats US tow subscription, proper comms / EPIRB your safety gear and survival supplies and go forth and have fun.

If you can find a 210 FSH you will have the reliability of twin engines and more room for the fam.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I been 30 miles off shore with FSH 190 sport and regularly 5-10 miles. Pick your days, know the weather, give allowance to forecast, I been on 2 ft sea forecast and changed to 5 ft seas, my boat still able to handle it but I was doing 8mph quartering back to the inlet. I also have 2 radios and ePirb. I know a few that owns bigger boat, they also wait for 2ft seas, cause even with bigger boat its not pleasant to fish out when there is big waves. Only plus with big boat is, when you get caught with bigger waves on your way back, its less worries.

EDIT: Also know the inlet, I live in sebastian fl, and sebastian inlet is a small inlet, when wave gets big its brutal, scoop a few waves in the bow there a few times so I trailer 30 miles to Fort Pierce inlet if I want to go offshore, it is much safer for me. Your inlet is a big factor, thats the only time I worry, offshore to me is easy.

BTW, in Guam you dont have to go far, it probably drop within a mile offshore for big game fishing, look at the picture in google you can still see the island.
1696853638811.png
1696854334579.png

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While is a bit off topic it relates to what I said above.

Anthony started out with a 17’ Boston Whaler and towed it all over So Cal and down into Mexico pursuing his passion for fishing. Anthony took that boat and a small inheritance from his grandparents and turned it into a multibillion dollar enterprise. I’ve mentioned my friend with decades of marine experience numerous times, he was with Anthony as he transitioned from the 17’ Boston Whaler to the various Hatteras sport fishing yachts over the years, providing engineering and installation of all the modifications and maintenance to the fleet of boats for competitive sport fishing.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for your service! I did a Navy gig at PMTC NAS Point Mugu late seventies,
Re up time came and I requested shore duty in the Philippines and a 25k bonus.
They offered an F-4 rag outfit, Miramar, I got out.
I know nothing of big water,
I do have that boat and a service manual, lots of help here...

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe it depends on where you are, but in my area a Yamaha 195 FSH would not be my first choice of boats for offshore fishing. On the other hand, a new 220 FSH (with the higher gunwhales and larger fuel tank) would be. With a 195 FSH budget, I’d be looking at a used 21’ CC with outboard, like a Robalo 200.

Jim

Ozzyj93

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s a small, light boat. Although mighty for its size, it won’t handle offshore very well in non-ideal conditions. I have an FSH 195.