• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cavitation? Constantly have to reset the Plug

Spencer M

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SX192, it runs great for the most part but it developed a very annoying issue the last 2 seasons. When going to use it I have to constantly pull the clean out plug and re-seat it in order to get the boat to run correctly. Once you do that 4-5 times its usually fine for the day but the initial start of a boating day requires 4-5 attempts.

I store it out so my current process is:
-while on lift, seat the plug, pushing down hard and give it a solid tug to make sure its locked.
-drop boat in water, back out of lift
-first attempt to rev up and it doesn't have a decent seal and rpm locks and doesn't have thrust
- pull the plug, push it back in
- i continue that process of starting and stopping till i get it to work

I've tried cleaning the port / wiping it out, or even with some steel wool. That seemed to initially improve it but then its still a pretty awful experience. I've replace the clean out plug, tried rebuilding it first, and still the same issue. I'm concerned that its a flaw / deterioration to the shaft itself.

Has anyone else experienced this or have some recommendations for a solution?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would rebuild the plug, rubber may of shrunk up causing it not to seal properl.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My SX195 clean out plug “binds” and becomes difficult to open during wash/flush. I had the same issue with my pool filter and maybe will add some TubeLube from the local pool store I use on my pool filter cap seal. Not sure if this will work, but thinking about it with my thumbs lol. Adding @Cobra Jet Steering LLC. I have seen some posts from you about this. Any recommendations?

Spencer M

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would rebuild the plug, rubber may of shrunk up causing it not to seal properl.
I've rebuilt the plug and even replaced the entire plug with a new OEM one but the problem still persists. Is the tube / shaft replacable? Is that super complicated?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My SX195 clean out plug “binds” and becomes difficult to open during wash/flush. I had the same issue with my pool filter and maybe will add some TubeLube from the local pool store I use on my pool filter cap seal. Not sure if this will work, but thinking about it with my thumbs lol. Adding @Cobra Jet Steering LLC. I have seen some posts from you about this. Any recommendations?
I use TubeLube on my plugs.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've rebuilt the plug and even replaced the entire plug with a new OEM one but the problem still persists. Is the tube / shaft replacable? Is that super complicated?
That would require some major work, to replace the tube itself. Sounds like you have the old style of push down and lock? I don’t know much about those, I know the cobra jet fellow made some different locks for them.. don’t know if those would help or not.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SX192, it runs great for the most part but it developed a very annoying issue the last 2 seasons. When going to use it I have to constantly pull the clean out plug and re-seat it in order to get the boat to run correctly. Once you do that 4-5 times its usually fine for the day but the initial start of a boating day requires 4-5 attempts.

I store it out so my current process is:
-while on lift, seat the plug, pushing down hard and give it a solid tug to make sure its locked.
-drop boat in water, back out of lift
-first attempt to rev up and it doesn't have a decent seal and rpm locks and doesn't have thrust
- pull the plug, push it back in
- i continue that process of starting and stopping till i get it to work

I've tried cleaning the port / wiping it out, or even with some steel wool. That seemed to initially improve it but then its still a pretty awful experience. I've replace the clean out plug, tried rebuilding it first, and still the same issue. I'm concerned that its a flaw / deterioration to the shaft itself.

Has anyone else experienced this or have some recommendations for a solution?

here is the "fix"
Manhole Cover Clean Out Pump Repair Kit for 2000-2016 Yamaha jet boat F0R-67609-09-00

Spencer M

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
here is the "fix"
Manhole Cover Clean Out Pump Repair Kit for 2000-2016 Yamaha jet boat F0R-67609-09-00
I will try this, although I have tried a similar replacement kit before. Also bought a whole newone plug assembly last year. Maybe they have some variation in the rubber gasket size?

I have used spray silicon whenever I take the plug out at end of the day. I never have a hard time with removal. They don’t get stuck the seal just seems to be sub optimal.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2012 242 with those style of plugs. When putting the plugs in, I get them in place as best that I can and then pour water down the tube and around the gasket. Then I push it in and it locks. Without the water, they won’t go in. Some use pool lube as mentioned, but water works for me and I keep a bottle of water in the swim deck cup holder for that reason. I give it three tugs to make sure it’s in though. I did have one blow out on me before this process and since then, I installed the EZLocks. That gives me peace of mind. The fact that you have to give it several attempts before it’s installed securely, tells me you need to give it more tugs than one to know if it’s seated properly. Then, I would recommend the EZLocks. That one blow out ruined my season.

Spencer M

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks I’ll try the water. I already have ez lock too