• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing a Tire on your dual axle MFI trailer

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Reactions: Gym

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a similar one that is aluminum. I use it for the boat, camper and my work trailer. It makes changing a tire a breeze! I keep it in my truck at all times.:winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A floor jack.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was thinking more along the lines of a blowout on the road. I'm not convinced my truck jack would work, which begs the question, maybe I just need a better jack for my truck. I've put my trailer completely on jack stands before and you need a really high floor jack to get everything up in the air. There is a lot of flex in the springs of each trailer axle.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if you guys are traveling far distances do you take a floor jack with you?

Our last trailer was really old and I wasn't comfortable going very far from home. With this boat and trailer we are ready to do some serious traveling. I've thought about this a lot and can't decide what would be best to take with us. One of my biggest fears of traveling is blowing a tire and not having anything to lift the trailer with us. I think the wheel chock things look pretty easy.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Couple of 2x6s screwed together. Sounds pretty redneck but works great.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I carry a small trolly floor jack and a highway cone for people to run into while texting and driving hopefully they hit that instead of me.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking more along the lines of a blowout on the road. I'm not convinced my truck jack would work, which begs the question, maybe I just need a better jack for my truck. I've put my trailer completely on jack stands before and you need a really high floor jack to get everything up in the air. There is a lot of flex in the springs of each trailer axle.
You'd want to jack under the axle itself to change the tire. That way you dont need to overcome all the spring movement.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So if you guys are traveling far distances do you take a floor jack with you?

Our lasin my Excursion trailer was really old and I wasn't comfortable going very far from home. With this boat and trailer we are ready to do some serious traveling. I've thought about this a lot and can't decide what would be best to take with us. One of my biggest fears of traveling is blowing a tire and not having anything to lift the trailer with us. I think the wheel chock things look pretty easy.
Yes. That or the jack that comes with the truck. Last weekend I traveled 4 1/2 hours each way with the boat. Just tossed a small jack Inthe Excursion.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the yellow one in the first post. It's always in the tool box on the truck.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jetboater4life I use the black one that you posted with the extra inch of height. It works great. I use it every season to raise each wheel off the ground to rotate and check bearings/brakes before my first trip out. I'd say get the one with the extra inch. The tire barely clears the ground using that one.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the yellow one you posted until last month. It worked ok but sometimes it would slide on gravel such that I couldn't get the good wheel onto it. I got a flat in march, my second this year, and since all of the tread wore of the bottom of the yellow unit it kept sliding away when I tried to put the trailer on it. Eventually I put it against a curb so that it wouldn't slide. I've since replaced it with a bottle jack that I place at under the joint where the leaf springs meet. If you are going to go with the wedge I suggest you get the black one since as Dennis said it is taller. This comes into play not when removing the flat but installing the spare. With the yellow one I had to deflate the spare a little in order to mount it properly.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had the yellow one you posted until last month. It worked ok but sometimes it would slide on gravel such that I couldn't get the good wheel onto it. I got a flat in march, my second this year, and since all of the tread wore of the bottom of the yellow unit it kept sliding away when I tried to put the trailer on it. Eventually I put it against a curb so that it wouldn't slide. I've since replaced it with a bottle jack that I place at under the joint where the leaf springs meet. If you are going to go with the wedge I suggest you get the black one since as Dennis said it is taller. This comes into play not when removing the flat but installing the spare. With the yellow one I had to deflate the spare a little in order to mount it properly.
I read some reviews of the wedge and some said it would slide on concrete. I don't want a huge jack to throw in the back of my yukon or boat, so I'm still pondering the bottle jack, axle jack, or wedge.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read some reviews of the wedge and some said it would slide on concrete. I don't want a huge jack to throw in the back of my yukon or boat, so I'm still pondering the bottle jack, axle jack, or wedge.
Ive never had an issue with our Trailer aide plus on asphalt. It does have metal bolts on the bottom presumably for better traction. But results could vary depending on surface material.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't mean to deter you, just inform you. As I recall, the black one has four bolts in the bottom, so the bolt heads act as feet. They may still allow the unit to slide, I don't know but I bet they don't wear down as quickly as the plastic did on mine. The black one also has a large dense piece of rubber where the good tire sits, just to make it that much taller. Oh, before I forget, one nice thing about the wedge, the yellow one at least, is that it fit perfectly in the front of the starboard cockpit compartment, there is a step of rough fiberglass up there that I put mine on, so it didn't take up any space I'd normally use.